Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,175 times

Advertisements

So I've read quite a few of the posts about moving to ATL but still have quite a few questions. I'm looking for employment and currently work in the broadcasting industry doing marketing and programming. I also do some freelancing. My budget is max $900/month and I'm looking to rent initially. I'm looking for a safe, easily commutable neighborhood close to downtown (but not in it) in a gated community. It's just me moving and want to maintain the urban amenities of living in the big apple but with more suburban southern hospitality. What areas, apartment communities, and companies can you suggest I look into? Oh I drive so add that to the mix. I'm looking to take the leap by April at the latest but am ready to go RIGHT NOW! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 AM

105 posts, read 353,487 times
Atlanta has a lot of amenities and opportunities. I'd highly recommend checking out apartmentratings.com. If you want a short commute and affordability, try the Cumberland Mall area where I-285 and I-75 meet. I'd recommend Post apartment communities. Post communities are pretty good. At Post Spring, the grounds were nice, the apartments were decent, and the gates always seemed to work. There were some issues with mail theft, a few burglaries, and some car vandalism/burglary. You MUST live in a gated community.

Crime and personal security are issue #1 anywhere in the Atlanta metro area. If you want to move a little further out, Kennesaw to the NW might be a good option. If you have a little more money, you might also look into areas around Perimeter mall. The safest area is Peachtree City, but that is a tough commute from the South. Being further out is not a guarantee in the safety/crime reduction arena.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
I would definately find a job first and then look for a place to live. The commute to work should definately be a concern. I would imagine that your field would be highly competitive. In addition to the local broadcast stations, we are the home to CNN and the Weather Channel.

Atlanta does have a lot to offer, but you don't want to spend all your time in commute traffic.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:40 AM

339 posts, read 696,142 times
I'd like to reiterate the above post, please don't move here without a job or secure job offer first or very deep savings. It is not easy at all down here to find a job whether or not the field of employment is competitive. Good that you drive, don't ditch the car. Even if you use mass transit to commute to work, you'll be glad you have the car for the weekends, if for nothing else to run errands or to commute home from hang out as transit here shuts down early for the most part on weekends (last train is around 1 am and the buses it will depend on the route but usually the last bus is around 11:30- 12 midnight on weekends).

In terms of finding a place to live, I've never used them but I've heard good things about Promove.

Good luck to you fellow NYer!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 PM

I'm in the process now of interviewing and obtaining offers. Location to my workplace wont play as large of a role as I will work from home telecommuting a lot. One of my main concerns with the finding housing is the high crime areas. Though I'm coming from a big city I'm still not keen on rampant crime in and around my neighborhood. What areas should I truly avoid? Also if my current budget of $900/month for a rental in a gated community won't put me in a safe neighborhood what will?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
I would definately look north of Atlanta, like Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. You may need to look as far as Alpharetta. It is a little ways from the city, but is a nice area and may suit your budget a little bit better.

Here is a website to check out: Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.
It will give you a feel of the apartments available as well as floorplans and prices.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:29 AM

248 posts, read 648,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStateOfMind View Post
What areas should I truly avoid? Also if my current budget of $900/month for a rental in a gated community won't put me in a safe neighborhood what will?
I read your post and thought about prospects for you and it occurred to me that, in the intown Atlanta area, you mostly find gated complexes in either 1. sketchy or transitional neighborhoods or 2. purely residential areas far away from the city amenities you probably would like to be near.

I'm sure there are exceptions to that trend, but it really is true that complexes in most of the best urban neighborhoods in Atlanta -- central Midtown (where I live), Virginia Highland, Poncey Highland, Inman Park -- aren't gated and are open to the street.

Come take a look around the Midtown neighborhoods and see what you think about the non-gated options. Full disclosure: I'm a smart-growth, urbanists nut and I'm opposed to gated residential developments in the city, so I've got a bias.

Last edited by reet4587; 12-29-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times
I agree with the Midtown area for you. It will feel suburban compared to NYC.

I think you would hate Kennesaw- too far out, too redneck, wall-to-wall strip malls and chain restaurants.

Good luck with finding a job!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I came down to visit two weeks ago and to look at neighborhoods. I checked out the midtown area a bit and coming from the Big City I won't to scale back a little of that city atmosphere. I looked at a bunch of areas that were about 10-15mins from downtown (without traffic of course). I also took a look at apartmentratings.com after I visited the apartments ( that website is scary! some of those comments are just frightening). Needless to say some of the places I was considering at the top of my list dropped to the bottom or off my list all together. I also realized that the 900/month I was budgeting was a bit optimistic (still thinking NY prices) and I could find something nice and reasonably priced in the 700s. With all that said it's winding down for me to select and just had a couple more questions about areas, such as Dunwoody, Chamblee, and Vinnings. Any advice? I'm still looking at 2beds and want to stay in the 700s or less.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
What kind of 'vibe' are you looking for in terms of area? Do you want to be near public trans? More family atmosphere. From your listings, Dunwoody is family oriented but near Perimeter Mall and along Ashford Dunwoody you can find young professionals and a lot of apartment complex$700 will be tough. Chamblee is a mix ethnically and borders Dunwoody with some young professionals, but mostly families. You'll need a car. Vinings is close to midtown, offers a lot in terms of proximity, young professionals. Smyrna borders Vinings and will give you a better deal on an apartment. I'd look there, especially if you want to work in broadcasting. 75 has easy access to CNN center, all the major network affiliates and some of the more hip production companies now residing in "West Midtown"
Good luck and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta