Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 PM

166 posts, read 611,833 times

Advertisements

This is my first post writing on the Atlanta forum, so forgive me for any lack of intimate knowledge I may have of the Atlanta area. Anyway, I'm currently a junior in college in Middle Tennessee wanting out of my area ASAP as soon as I graduate college. Atlanta is on the top for areas I would relocate to most when I get my degree, as I want to live in a big, virbrant city/large metropolitan area.

I had relatives that up until recently lived in Gwinnett County, more specificially Lawrenceville and also some close family friends who live in Marietta. One of my biggest gripes of the Altanta area is the absolute HORRIBLE traffic the metro area constantly has to deal with. BTW, I am someone who has family or close friends that live all over major metro areas in the Eastern US. So places like New York, Philly, Chicago, Charlotte, and Orlando are places I know how bad traffic can be and I can easily say that Atlanta is easily the worst out of these areas (with Orlando seeming to get worse with each time I visit).

Seeing as Atlanta's metro area is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) grwoing in the nation and it is becoming more urban, why is there such oppositon to MARTA and possibly extending rail services to immediate counties outside Fulton? When I go and visit family in New Jersey and want to go to either New York or Philly or go visit family outside Chicago, the public transportation available afforded to me is one of the biggest positives about visiting the area. My family that used to live in Lawrenceville (recently moved to Kansas City due to the nearby Gerneral Motors factory closing) originally lived in New Jersey for years and said that while they did like living in the Atlanta area, the lack of good public transportation was a major headache. They said that the highways were poorly planned and that getting into the city, which they liked to do, took close to an hour despite only living roughly 30 miles or less away. They never understood why so many were opposed when they said that was one of the biggest positives about living in the northeast.

I just would like to know why MARTA is so looked down upon by many of metro Atlanta's residents. I know there is talk of having government taking over becoming a disaster but other large public transporation systems across the nation are run by their respective state and/or city governments and do fine (New York and Chicago's subways are great, so was Philly's though I only rode their system on two occassions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 01:36 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
People feared that (and many STILL think) MARTA trains would deliver criminals to their neighborhoods.

As it turns out, despite keeping MARTA away, much of Gwinett County has turned into a crime infested hellhole.

It's one of the top stories in the AJC today:
http://www.ajc.com/news/drug-war-hits-home-257337.html

Conversely, most areas near MARTA stations are either thriving or are slowly but steadily changing for the better.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:51 PM

826 posts, read 3,119,841 times
This should be fun

Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Seeing as Atlanta's metro area is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) grwoing in the nation and it is becoming more urban, why is there such oppositon to MARTA and possibly extending rail services to immediate counties outside Fulton?
What opposition?

The last time residents of Gwinnett county were formally asked about it, the idea was voted against, but it was a pretty close vote.**

Residents of Cobb County haven't been asked in 20 years.

Have residents of any other metro Atlanta counties (besides Fulton) been asked about MARTA or the development of mass transportation anytime in the past decade or two?

I think most of the "opposition" you hear about is anecdotal, and in reality is little more than bitter memories of opposition which existed 20 years ago in what were then the still developing and partially rural (and rather conservative) outer regions of the metro.

Those former outer regions are now fully suburban and are demographically and politically quite different from their former selves.

When I've heard critical opinions, I've found that they are mainly directed at MARTA specifically, not mass transportation or rail systems in general.

Just my two cents. Note that I've only lived in Cobb for five years ... I have no memories of what the county might've been like before that...

** - I hope I'm remembering that correctly ... it was mentioned in this forum, but I have have no firsthand knowledge and am simply parroting what I remember hearing on C-D. For all I know it was another county!

Old 12-28-2009, 02:56 PM

210 posts, read 454,801 times
Historically, most opposition to MARTA has been related to white-on-black racism. Even my parents, who now wish they could catch a train in Stone Mountain or Snellville, were once that way.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:09 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,406,945 times
Also, Atlantans have a love affair with suburban sprawl and the suburban car culture. Many suburban residents would rather drive everywhere than take public transportation.

Another thing, I don't get this "public transportation will bring crime" argument. How will it bring crime? Can criminals not drive to 'safe' areas if they wish to commit crimes there?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
People feared that (and many STILL think) MARTA trains would deliver criminals to their neighborhoods.

As it turns out, despite keeping MARTA away, much of Gwinett County has turned into a crime infested hellhole.

It's one of the top stories in the AJC today:
Drug war hits home for Gwinnett residents *| ajc.com

Conversely, most areas near MARTA stations are either thriving or are slowly but steadily changing for the better.
I don't really see a MARTA connection in that article...? Oh wait. Duh. That was your point.

Nevermind.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 12-28-2009 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Sorry. Light bulb went off after I hit post. :D

Old 12-28-2009, 04:26 PM

986 posts, read 1,665,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

Another thing, I don't get this "public transportation will bring crime" argument. How will it bring crime? Can criminals not drive to 'safe' areas if they wish to commit crimes there?
Because no one is going to notice you on the train with that 60" TV you just stole.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,528 times
I don't think it's an opposition to the idea of rail itself but more so opposition to MARTA. A few of my gripes for example, a bum walked in as I walked out (lax enforcement bringing in strange creatures), gross bathrooms, morning delays as I freeze, etc.

That aside, yes more rail, it takes too long to drive from Suwanee to Doraville :-)

Old 12-28-2009, 05:36 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,160 times
I think people are gung ho for transit until they realize they have to pay for it. Mention anything about a half cent tax increase and people revolt like you have just imposed a police state curfew.

Also, if and when MARTA does go to the burbs, I would like to see a more decentralized coverage area. I think tansit is most effective when A) people don't have to walk very far once off the train and B) you don't have to take a train all the way down 85 to downtown then all the way back up 75 to Cobb county. Have routes that go from Norcross to Roswell, Marietta to Woodstock, etc. Most Atlantans don't commute from the burbs to downtown but rather all over the place. Transit should cater as such to be successful in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta