Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 64,484 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the Lakewood Heights area of Atlanta? I am interested in renting out there to start before I think about purchasing property. It seems pretty close to the downtown area, which is what I need since both me and my wife will be working in downtown Atlanta. I am just wondering how safe is the area? we have 3 kids and the oldest is going to 1st grade so are there decent elementary schools close by? Basically is it a good area for a family with small kids to relocate? We are moving from North Carolina, and will be visiting Atlanta again real soon to check out the area, but I was just looking for a heads up on the Lakewood Heights area before we come down. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
NO TO LAKEWOOD HEIGHTS!

There are much better areas to live if you have children besides Lakewood Heights. The area is just starting to re-development(From what I've seen...I don't think it's going very well) but as a new family moving to Atlanta and renting I wouldn't recommend it. Lakewood Heights is an area for Urban-Pioneers who don't mind going through the rough stages to see the neighborhood fullfil it's potential. IMO Lakewood Heights still has a long way to go and as a transitioning family It wouldn't work for your needs. Do not be fooled by the cheaper rental housing options in the area. It is cheap for a reason and it doesn't have particularly great elementary schools and can get very dodgy all times of the day (break-ins, vagrants, etc.) so it's not recommended as a good area for a family with small kids to relocate.

IMO, finding rental properties suitbale for families with 3 children is going to be a bit harder in nice neighborhoods inside of the city. However in some of the outlying Atlanta suburbs close to Marta or Bus routes like CCT(Coob County Transit) & GRTA(Gwinnett Regional Transit Authority) would work for your neeeds just fine. Look into areas like Camp Creek/Cascade, Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, Dunwoody, Smryna, Tucker.

I would suggest Druid Hills, Morningside, Inman Park, VaHi, City of Decatur but I believe it's going to be hard to find a rental property for the size of your family in those established city neighborhoods of Atlanta.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 06-16-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
Ditto the previous poster. I live in the Grant Park area but park at the Lakewood Marta station. My drive down Lakewood Ave is an interesting one. There are many boarded up houses, 50% of which appear to be renovations/new construction that ran out of funding. There is crap on the sidewalks from where people have been put out of their homes. And then of course there are the "working ladies" and their clothing ( or lack there of). Never in my life have I seen someones bare behind, while driving down a street in broad daylight.
Unless I am talking about a different Lakewood, please don't move there.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 AM

WOW, thanks for the heads up...I will definitely scratch that one off my list. Thanks for the suggestions Atlantasfinest. Thank you as well Merin, I absolutely don't need the kids playing in dirty streets, with hookers, pimps and god knows what else.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:46 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Bugg

What is your price range and size requirements?

Old 06-16-2008, 05:29 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
If you're interested in staying next to Downtown and renting a house for your family I would suggest Grant Park, Ormewood Park/North Ormewood, and East Atlanta. All three of these areas have 3-bedroom houses for rent at pretty reasonable rates. The Burgess Academy, which is the public elementary school that serves much of this area, is pretty good and is located within new facilities. Although home values are steadily increasing in thsese areas, you should be able to find a single-family home to buy at a reasonable price.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Bugg

What is your price range and size requirements?
I am looking for something with in the ranges of $900-$1200 per month, and a 3 bedroom at least. We are renting a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bathroom house right now for $900 a month...I am not sure if we can get that kind of deal in the downtown area( a safe area) or close enough to avoid a lot of traffic. I am not looking to rent for too long though, maybe 6 months to a year. Just long enough to browse the area for a permanent home investment, but I definitely would like to rent in the area that I am going to purchase a home in...the less moving around will make it easier on the family.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the reply south-to-west, I will look into those areas as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggJr View Post
I am looking for something with in the ranges of $900-$1200 per month, and a 3 bedroom at least. We are renting a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bathroom house right now for $900 a month...I am not sure if we can get that kind of deal in the downtown area( a safe area) or close enough to avoid a lot of traffic. I am not looking to rent for too long though, maybe 6 months to a year. Just long enough to browse the area for a permanent home investment, but I definitely would like to rent in the area that I am going to purchase a home in...the less moving around will make it easier on the family.
Do you have an idea of what price range house you will be able to afford?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:34 AM

I figured that I would try and temporarily live around the same price range maybe a little above. Granted renting a house at $900 per month in the small area of NC where we are is probably not feasible or a reasonable price for a safe area close to downtown Atlanta. With what we have saved up and what we will be able to accrue if everything goes well , we will be looking into a house around 450k-500k. That is of course If everything goes as well as I would like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta