U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:02 AM

7,406 posts, read 4,143,036 times

Advertisements

Unincorporated areas should not be allowed to have an Atlanta address if they are not willing to be in the city limits. That's like having your cake and eating it too. My office in Dunwoody city limits has an Atlanta address, but are several miles from the city limits. Many people here talk down about the city, yet our office address states Atlanta. Nobody outside of GA knows or cares about Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, or Duluth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 02:32 PM

4,849 posts, read 5,283,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Unincorporated areas should not be allowed to have an Atlanta address if they are not willing to be in the city limits. That's like having your cake and eating it too. My office in Dunwoody city limits has an Atlanta address, but are several miles from the city limits. Many people here talk down about the city, yet our office address states Atlanta. Nobody outside of GA knows or cares about Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, or Duluth.
So what would you have the US Postal service do for people in rural areas? I grew up in rural Meriwether county 7 miles from the nearest post office in Hogansville, GA which is actually in Troup County. The US Postal service gave us a rural route eons ago, long before I was around, out of the Hogansville post office. Our address has always been Hogansville even though our homeplace was well outside the city and even into the next county.

The zip codes you see in metro Atlanta were established DECADES ago, long before a lot of the development patterns you see today. Not only does an Atlanta address go far outside its city limits, you will find almost all of unincorporated East Cobb with a Marietta address, a large chunk of unincorporated central and south DeKalb with a Decatur address, numerous other examples like this.

It is not a case of having cake and eating it too. It is a case of the US Postal service establishing addresses based off of post office established decades, even well over a century ago in many cases.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:14 PM

7,406 posts, read 4,143,036 times
In the case of my office, the Dunwoody post office is less than a 1 mile away. I know that places use these non city limit area codes to use the Atlanta name, but escape the taxes.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,466,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboi View Post
Right, I am aware of that. I live like 2 minutes away from the Home Depot HQ in Vinings. The way I see it, if it has an Atlanta address it is in Atlanta. Vinings is not a separate city it is in the Atlanta city limits.
No, Vinings is in Cobb County. The City of Atlanta boundary does not extend west of the river at all.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,466,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Most of them did not choose it. I'm sure many residents of 30339 would LOVE to have their own name on their local ZIP like unincorporated Mableton (30126) does, but Mableton was an incorporated town once. Vinings has never been.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 03-01-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 AM

2,577 posts, read 1,785,722 times
i'm surprised there hasn't been talk of a serious skyscraper going up in atlanta, one that will rival the BOA tower. with all the skyscrapers going up in chicago, new york and los angeles that are so tall, i'm surprised there hasn't been similar talk here.

it would be nice if we could have a classically designed skyscraper, one that isn't just concrete all the way up, or just steel and glass.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM

14,837 posts, read 9,549,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it would be nice if we could have a classically designed skyscraper, one that isn't just concrete all the way up, or just steel and glass.
Well, we had the Mansion go up a few years ago and we have plenty of classically designed towers from the 80s and early 90s like the IBM tower, Resurgens Plaza, 191 Peachtree and the Four Seasons.

Maybe they're just not as popular anymore.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 PM

507 posts, read 221,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm surprised there hasn't been talk of a serious skyscraper going up in atlanta, one that will rival the BOA tower. with all the skyscrapers going up in chicago, new york and los angeles that are so tall, i'm surprised there hasn't been similar talk here.

Just reading this thread but it will be good if we could get one rival the BOA tower so hopefully well get a proposal this year or next. (from a big time developer like the ones from NYC,DUBAI,SHANGHAI and HONG KONG)

Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 PM

3,285 posts, read 1,375,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Just reading this thread but it will be good if we could get one rival the BOA tower so hopefully well get a proposal this year or next. (from a big time developer like the ones from NYC,DUBAI,SHANGHAI and HONG KONG)
The new towers proposed on the Symphony Center site will rival BOA in number of stories.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:26 PM

507 posts, read 221,119 times
But where gonna need more especially near SoNo to really connect ther skylines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta