Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 PM

70 posts, read 319,870 times

Advertisements

If anyone has knowledge about both these areas, I know Atlanta is much more in the South, but is the day-to-day life within urban Atlanta (and the immediate suburbs) much more Southern feeling than Northern Virginia?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 06:48 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times
Thumbs up Probably So

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
If anyone has knowledge about both these areas, I know Atlanta is much more in the South, but is the day-to-day life within urban Atlanta (and the immediate suburbs) much more Southern feeling than Northern Virginia?
I cannot compare the two --never lived in No VA.

IMO, the 'tone' of metro Atlanta is 'Professional'/corporate, with many transplanted citizens.
You would need to visit places like Braselton, Flowery Branch, Gainesville, Winder, Douglasville, Carrollton and Cartersville to name just a few 'exurbs'--within an hour or so of metro Atlanta, to compare/contrast the cultural differences. Georgia in general is not a wealthy state, etc.

(I was curious--googled for FYI on 'Northern VA')>>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Virginia

Excerpt:

'Northern Virginia (NoVA) is one of the wealthiest regions in the United States [1], consisting of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, counties and the independent cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Manassas, and Manassas Park. Together with Washington, D.C. and parts of Maryland and West Virginia, it makes up the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area, the fourth-largest metropolitan area in the country.'

sls

Old 05-21-2007, 07:02 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,158 times
Yes, only if your talking about the location on a map
Outside of the it is just another large city.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 PM

70 posts, read 319,870 times
So if, for career reasons, I have to be in a major metro area, but I love the South and want to live in a Southern (culturally, not just geographically) environment, there really is no advantage in living in Atlanta over DC? If not, is there any major metro that is southern in character? Charlotte?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,323,529 times
Atlanta is not very southern but I would consider it more southern then NoVa. I don't really see NoVa as very southern but I definitely see differences between Atlanta and other major cities, especially when you get out to the suburbs. The major difference between the two cities is the cost of living. Much cheaper to live in Atlanta then in NoVa.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times
Thumbs up Can you clarify 'Southern'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
So if, for career reasons, I have to be in a major metro area, but I love the South and want to live in a Southern (culturally, not just geographically) environment, there really is no advantage in living in Atlanta over DC? If not, is there any major metro that is southern in character? Charlotte?
Some say Charlotte is similar to Atlanta though smaller. Plenty of discussion on this in the NC forums.

It is my impression that Atlanta is not as 'fast paced' or intense as DC.

You might find the Emory/Decatur area to be more 'Southern'. Intown/Midtown neighborhoods are revitalizing--
Decatur>>
http://decaturga.com/

Midtown
Go Here>>>
http://www.atlanta-midtown.com/

There have been many discussions/threads in the Atlanta forum on the urban renewal/gentrification that is taking place in the older neighborhoods. Very interesting.

Roswell, Ga has done a lot to preserve its Southern heritage. Just north of Atlanta.
Here>>>
http://www.ci.roswell.ga.us/

Marietta, GA, also quite Southern>>>
http://www.mariettasquare.com/

Hope that helps.

sls

Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,503,566 times
I've lived in Arlington, Alexandria and now Marietta (East Cobb). I find the ares to be very similar. Atlanta does feel more Southern but just slightly. It feels to me like Southern traditions are more apparent here. It seemed that Northern Virginia had started almost losing its Southerness. Does that make sense? Though I was born and bread in the Northeast, I find the culture here to be interesting and nice. My neighborhood is mixed half from here half from elsewhere and everyone seems to enjoy the mix.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 47,611 times
I live in Alexandria, VA and am moving to Atlanta. I definitely get a Southern feel when I visit Atlanta. I don't think NoVA is at all Southern. People are very busy and into their own lives and don't seem to appreciate a sense of community in NoVA (my opinion). I found the people in Atlanta much more friendly and would go out of their way to help me. Again, just my observation and opinion!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:57 PM

7 posts, read 32,710 times
Default Heart of Dixie

I lived in northern virginia for 30 years. I was born in North Carolina, raised in Southern Virginia, college in Tennessee, and now the Atlanta suberbs. For a true southerner "Northern" Virginia is northern. We lived in an apartment in Old Towne Alexandria the first year we were married and never actually met the other five apartment residents that shared our stairwell and not for lack of trying. Say hi to a stranger on the street and they will clutch their purse or wallet a little tighter and walk a little faster. Traffic is an absolute nightmare, 26 miles to DC from Centreville is 1 hour 45 minutes during rush hour and morning rush hour begins at 6:00 and continues till 10:30, in the afternoon it starts to back up at 3:00 and goes to 7:00. People are so self involved that if a teacher gives a child a "D" the parents will complain it is the teachers fault, youth sports revolves around a "travel program" and parents actually throw tantrums if their child does not make the "A" team. I have coached youth basketball for years and I have seen parents come to blows about 4th grade girls house basketball. The high school my daughter attended has nearly 4000 students and was the home of the Virginia Tech shooter as well as the young man that opened fire on a police station last spring killing two officers.

Atlanta is a big city, but it is a southern city. People still smile and say hello, men still open and hold doors for women and still say yes sir/maam and no sir/maam to anyone who appears older. The pace of life is slower and regardless what those in Atlanta tell you, the traffic is not as bad and the rush hours not near as long. When you move into an Atlanta neighborhood folks still bring food over to welcome you and before you can unpack the kitchen utensils to eat it at least one pastor or deacon will stop by to invite you to services. Housing cost are about 1/3 comparing apples to apples. All the bad things that I have seen in northern virginia may happen in Atlanta , but I haven't seen them yet.

As for me Atlanta is more civilized, more friendly, more everything that was ever good about the south, than northern virginia is. There are things I miss about northern virginia, but northern virginia is certainly not representative of a southern city, while I would rank Atlanta right there with Raleigh, Savannah and Charleston.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:15 PM

985 posts, read 5,740,126 times
It really depends on the area. Atlanta is very spreadout and has over 5 millions folks. People in Forsyth may have different view from people from Gwinnett.

Duluth/Suwanee/Johns Creek has a lot of northern transplants so it does not feel southern city at all. A lot of diversity and a lot of ethnic stores that makes the area feel more like a suburb of New York or LA.

On the other hand, if you live one of exurbs like Logonville, Canton, you are very much in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta