Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 PM

35 posts, read 180,182 times

Advertisements

Hey all - we've lived in near the heart of historic Roswell for 15 years (since age 21). We started renting, then bought a brand-new townhome here 7 years ago which just sold.

We have two young kids (age 1 and 2) now and are looking to move to a single family home in Alpharetta/Cumming (hoping to pay no more than $325K).

We're moving so we can have a fun, family-friendly subdivision. We picture it being big and active with kids everywhere. We'll meet other families and invite them over for BBQs.

There are nice, newer homes West of Exit 13 - but that's a hike. There are homes a bit older (1990s) than we're used to through North Fulton and South Forsyth.

We have been passing on even looking at either because it's either too "far" or too "old". That leave nothing. Then we realized we forgot why we're moving in the first place. It's not the distance or age - it's the people.

If there is a fun, social, big family-friendly neighborhood out there - that's what really matters - fun people and fun kids.

But there isn't a website that shows where the most family-friendly neighborhoods like this are. We'd have to go door-to-door and ask residents.

So does anyone want to weigh in on the most fun family-friend subdiviion in that area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Our former neighborhood in Johns Creek is very family-oriented and has activities going on all the time. Nice clubhouse, active social committee. Lots of tennis, swim team, holiday parties for the kids (Easter, Christmas, 4th of July parade, etc). The place is swarming with kids on Halloween. Homes were built in the 1995-2000 range and some of the owners are now empty nesters, but there are always new and younger families moving in. It's a John Weiland community called Cambridge, and is off of Sargent Road.

Bill

Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 AM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
Cambridge is a nice neighborhood with family friendly activities. Great schools too. I just checked the homes for sale and they range in price from $387K-559K unfortunately.

I would try Your Best Move in Georgia, North Carolina and International | Harry Norman, Realtors® or Jenny Pruitt & Associates, REALTORS - Atlanta Real Estate to search for homes. You can put in your price range and location and see which neighborhoods are in your price range. The addresses are there so you can do a drive by and see what the neighborhoods look like and what they have to offer. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 AM

462 posts, read 968,673 times
My sister lives in Sheffield Subdivision and she loves it. I have met several of her neighbors and it seems like a great place to live. She paid A little over $300,000 for her house and it has the pool, tennis courts, etc. I dont think you would be disappointed.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 PM

92 posts, read 229,920 times
We lived in Shiloh Farms (off McFarland) for about 18 months in 2001-2002. (Have since been relocated to WI and HATE it. Anyways...) The neighborhood was wonderful! It's a swim/tennis and has a playground. There were a ton of active groups (book club, Bunco, babysitting co-op, playgroups, poker groups, etc) and we met a ton of great people. Alpharetta address, Forsyth taxes, good schools. Best of luck with your house hunt!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 PM

31 posts, read 180,291 times
I would highly recommend purchasing in Cumming/South Forsyth since you have two young children. The schools in South Forsyth are excellent. Also if you are in South Forsyth you will have everything you need (doctors, shopping, etc) within minutes of you. This too is great for parents of young children. There are several neighborhoods that I would recommend to you based on what you said. For many of these neighborhoods you will be in the lower price range, but while you may not have the largest home in the neighborhood you will have a very nice home in a great neighborhood with fantastic schools.

Windermere (most homes are 5+ years old, but very well maintained, premier neighborhood, great amenities, lots of family/kid friendly activities)
Three Chimneys (10ish years old, but again very well maintained)
Brandon Hall (new homes)
Longlake (5ish years old)
Polo Club (10+ years old, but nice)
Covington (not sure of age)

To search for homes I would recommend going to Trulia - Real Estate, Homes For Sale, Sold Properties, Real Estate Maps then in the city field enter Cumming, GA. To search for homes in these or any other neighborhoods click more search options and in the keyword field enter the name of the subdivision you would like to search.

Two other brand new neighborhoods that just entered my mind are:
Brentwood Estates (Atlanta New Homes - New Homes in Atlanta Georgia by Ashton Woods Homes - Brentwood Estates - Now Pre-Selling!)
Estates at Old Atlanta (Estates at Old Atlanta | Cumming GA New Homes | Pulte Homes)

These have a great location, but are very new (just beginning to be built). They are also priced well below your price point, but look very nice and who doesn't love to save money. There is one other on that same road, but I didn't see any info. about it online. The name of it is Cooper Creek.

If I think of any more neighborhoods that fit your needs I will post them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta