U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 20,702,481 times

Advertisements

My neighbor's daughter regularly works as an extra on local film shoots. She has Aspergers, and has never been able to find a job she qualified for, but the film jobs are perfect for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 AM

696 posts, read 1,120,292 times
I live in Buckhead, got an email from my apartment's leasing office last week saying "The Accountant" (an upcoming Ben Affleck movie) was filming/shooting in my alley and this could cause temporary traffic delays/wait time when getting in and out of my apartment that day. Bit of an inconvenience but I must admit it was also kinda cool

Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 AM
bu2

9,898 posts, read 6,373,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
A LOT. There have been at least 30 films shot here in the last 3 years, and that doesn't even include TV shows.
There was a time a couple of years ago where there was one about every other month shooting in Druid Hills, although I don't recall any film crews recently (just the half dozen TV crews hanging out to watch the ebola patients or Whitney Houston's daughter.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:47 AM
bu2

9,898 posts, read 6,373,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
I live in Buckhead, got an email from my apartment's leasing office last week saying "The Accountant" (an upcoming Ben Affleck movie) was filming/shooting in my alley and this could cause temporary traffic delays/wait time when getting in and out of my apartment that day. Bit of an inconvenience but I must admit it was also kinda cool
Is he a murderer who talks about debits and credits until his victim dies of boredom or starvation?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 AM

346 posts, read 286,754 times
And look for Captain America and Iron Man around town when filming of Captain America 3 starts in April.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:12 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,876,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
It's what happens when you spend 100M/yr+ on tax credits that can be sold to companies that have an actual liability here. Ever wonder why the Cathy family of Chick-Fil-A fortune would invest in Pinewood studios? It makes quite a few films that would offend their delicate sensibilities.
If you sincerely think the Cathy family is financing Pinewood Studios just to get tax breaks for Chick-Fil-A, then you know absolutely NOTHING about the Cathy family.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM

253 posts, read 226,853 times
Can someone school me on the tax incentives GA gives studios? I mean heck Spongebob was filmed in Savannah. Is GA trying to get to Cali status? Or are Hollywood Studios just trying to save money? Mix of both? Will we see the day where young hopefuls move to Atlanta to persue their acting dreams?

Old 02-10-2015, 12:20 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,464,395 times
Atlanta is always a good stand-in, and cheaper to film in than some other places.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:22 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,876,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
Can someone school me on the tax incentives GA gives studios? I mean heck Spongebob was filmed in Savannah. Is GA trying to get to Cali status? Or are Hollywood Studios just trying to save money? Mix of both? Will we see the day where young hopefuls move to Atlanta to persue their acting dreams?
New to this topic, are you? It's been discussed on this forum ad nasuem. Just google it and you'll learn more than you could possibly ever want to know. But basically, Georgia offers a 20 percent tax credit to all film, television, video and music productions that spend at least a minimum of $500,000 on a single project in the state. An additional 10 percent credit (for a total of 30 percent) is applied if the production includes the "Made in Georgia" peach logo during its credits. These tax credits are transferable, meaning the production companies can sell them (at a reduced percent) to Georgia-based companies, which can then apply them to their own state income liabilities.

There will always be debate and disagreement about whether or not this is good for the state. But the fact remains that since 2008, when the tax incentive program was expanded, the amount of money spent on film and television projects in Georgia annually has grown from about $250 million to more than $1 billion. Last year, the state estimated that the total economic impact of the entertainment industry in Georgia was more than $5 billion -- and growing. The largest film project ever shot in Georgia, "Ant Man," wrapped up filming in December. It alone had an estimated budget of more than $200 million (some estimates were as high as $300 million). This is no small potatoes. Georgia now ranks 3rd in the country for film and television work, and it's only going to get bigger.

As to your question about whether young hopefuls will move to Atlanta, it's already happening -- in waves. I know dozens of people personally who work in the industry full-time, many as background actors, which are in HUGE demand; there's actually a shortage of experienced and available background talent in Atlanta (meaning you can work on a day's notice on any set, for 12-14 hours a day). It's a great way to get a foot in the door of the industry. Also, dozens upon dozens of companies involved in the production side of the industry (craft services, lighting, casting, props, construction, costumes, catering) have relocated to Georgia -- from California and elsewhere. The state of California has lost so much business, and is so concerned about Georgia's rapid rise, that they've implemented their own incentive program to try and keep productions in-state.

What many people don't realize is, that while the tax incentive program has jump-started Georgia's entertainment industry big-time, the state has a solid film production history that dates back to the 1970s. The foundations for building a much bigger and stronger industry in Georgia was already in place when the incentives came about, and production companies are finding that out. Unlike some competitive states, like Louisiana which had to basically start from scratch, Georgia already had a lot of the pieces in place -- talent, locations, and probably most important of all, the world's busiest airport in Atlanta, which offers dozens of daily flights to both New York and Los Angeles, the entertainment capitals of the world (and where all the decisions are still made).

Finally, whenever people roll their eyes and dismiss Georgia's new-found movie fame as a fluke and temporary thing, I point them to Pinewood Studios -- arguably the most famous film studio in the world. The British studio that gave us Harry Potter, Star Wars and James Bond could have built their first U.S. film complex anywhere, but they chose Fayette County, Georgia. Not California, not New York. GEORGIA.

The film industry is here to stay.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:54 PM

329 posts, read 523,005 times
is there a website that shows where films are shooting on any given day and any casting calls for extras?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or