U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 13,383 times

Advertisements

Hello. First allow me to thank you for taking the time to read my post and to continually offer your time, expertise and enthusiasm for the greater Metro Atlanta area. My husband had been working for one of your Fortune 100 companies for the past ten years. They have been wonderful by flying him into town whenever he needs to be there "live" but it's starting to put a drain on our family life and I have agreed to consider accepting their relo package. His peers (with children) suggest East Cobb or Alpharetta but my friends (with no children) suggest the Vinings.

Ideally, I would like to have a little of both. A suburban mecca with interesting restaurants, shopping and town/community activities. I was thinking of Roswell perhaps (Sentinal on the River) but my husband would prefer a golf community and he mentioned Sugarloaf. I've read these boards and have heard of it's reputation but that is not my greatest concern since I don't think you can denounce an entire neigborhood with 2 isolated (and extremely unusual) incidents. I'm more concerned with the schools. Although, I don't think I MUST send my children to Walton to receive a quality and well-rounded education, I am also terrified of a school with 3,000 students! My goodness, we are in the NY Metro area and I graduated with 125 in my entire class. We are not completely sold on private schools (we don't necessarily see the value) and with 3 young children VERY close in age, spending 60+k a year on the 1st grade doesn't seem prudent or even feasible. With all this said, below are our additional criteria.

1. Budget $600 - $700k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Husband would work in the Vinings area but he flies at least once a week for work so airport accessibility would be preferred.
4. Children (public school vs. private) Public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two, Mix of two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Airport
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. An established neighborhood with mature landscaping and nothing further north e.g., Alpharetta. Golf preferred.

Again, thank you for your time and I am anxiously awaiting your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 11:29 AM

22,817 posts, read 34,875,287 times
All things considered, IMO sounds like your best bet would be East Cobb. Vinings is lovely, but schools will be the weak link there. Across the river would be the western part of Buckhead (property taxes will go up considerably once you leave Cobb and enter the city of Atlanta), and while you will find a couple of good public elementary schools there (Warren Jackson, Morris Brandon), the middle and high schools leave a lot to be desired; most residents opt for private school there.
The thing about the golf course communities is that they tend to be located pretty far out, so your DH's commute would not a fun one. However, in East Cobb you would have proximity to the Atlanta Country Club.

Welcome to the Atlanta Country Club

Old 01-02-2010, 12:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,812,987 times
I'm working with a buyer right now who's looking at the Atlanta Country Club area. Apparently, the waiting list to join the club is very long, so you'll want to research and consider that before settling on a neighborhood. But I agree with LD, it's a great area that meets all your needs.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM

1,991 posts, read 4,751,852 times
You might consider Dunwoody/Sandy Springs (zips 30338 and 30350). Dunwoody elementary schools are very good (esp. Austin and Vanderlyn): DeKalb County. Middle and high school are OK, but not fantastic. 30350 cluster is decent (North Springs HS): Fulton County. Not a bad commute to Vinings or the airport (45 min. on Marta). Dunwoody Country Club is great and actually does have openings right now: great family club and not stuffy at all. Also consider the Riverwood HS district (Fulton).

Old 01-02-2010, 12:26 PM

1,991 posts, read 4,751,852 times
In addition, remember that some of the private schools are not as expensive as the "Buckhead" schools. Schools like Mt. Vernon Presbyterian are a relative bargain if you're not happy with your public choices but fall in love with a particular neighborhood.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:22 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,446,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
All things considered, IMO sounds like your best bet would be East Cobb. Vinings is lovely, but schools will be the weak link there.
Vinings is zoned for Campbell High, which was #216 in the Newsweek list and is a very good IB school by all accounts.

America's Top Public High Schools - Newsweek.com

Can't comment on the elementary and middle schools for Vinings, tho.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,066,973 times
Students zoned for Campbell High are currently eligible to elect to attend Allatoona, Lassiter or Sprayberry due to Campbell's NCLB (No Child Left Behind) status.

I'm not saying that NCLB criteria or the Newsweek criteria make sense. It's bizarre that the same school is tops according to Newsweek and inadequate according to NCLB. I suspect the IB program is good, while non-IB students don't have strong test scores.

Overall, LD's comment that schools in Vinings might be a "weak link" is probably fair.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 13,383 times
Thank you for your help! It's all so overwhelming but this board certainly eases that anxiety. One last question. Does anyone know anything about Horseshoe Bend and its country club?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PMReservation View Post
Thank you for your help! It's all so overwhelming but this board certainly eases that anxiety. One last question. Does anyone know anything about Horseshoe Bend and its country club?
My sister lived there for a time (until husband was transferred). IMO it's one of the nicest golf course communities in the metro; lovely homes, but none of that pretentious, "McMansion-ey' feel that so many club communities seem to have.
The main problem I see there is your DH's commute to Vinings...ugh! Holcomb Bridge Road (your only option to get in and out of Horseshoe Bend) can be downright hideous at peak hours as well.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
I'm working with a buyer right now who's looking at the Atlanta Country Club area. Apparently, the waiting list to join the club is very long, so you'll want to research and consider that before settling on a neighborhood. But I agree with LD, it's a great area that meets all your needs.
Hadn't considered the dreaded 'waiting list'; perhaps Marietta Country Club could be an option.

Marietta Country Club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or