U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 PM
 
10 posts, read 22,824 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I did move here to escape the cold and snow. I've been complaining about the cold since it's harder to heat the house. At least I'm not shoveling snow for 3 hours. I did this for 16 years. I'll take the warm weather over the cold any day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Greater Beantown, Mass.
579 posts, read 1,555,584 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
I hate this weather. Why did I move to the south? Not for this! And this is a really rough cold spell too, usually this type of cold lasts only a day and the next day it shoots up to the 40s. I do agree w/ most, why not snow if its going to be this cold. I guess it may snow on Thurs.
Atleast this is not Nashville its even colder there. They have forecasted this weekend, single digits and lower teens for lows, not even getting out the 20s for highs. Unfortunate for me I got to go up there this weekend! Oh man!
Unfortunately too many (ignorant) people up north have this misconception that "The South" is a region which magically stays warm through the year. The Southern U.S. and Southern Florida are not one and the same, weather-wise. The mid-south (Tennessee, N.C.) and parts of the deep south (the northern parts of Georgia, Alabama, Miss., Arkansas and S.C.) are really just southern extensions of the midwest and mid-atlantic U.S. climate-wise, with more gulf-influences. If it is 9 degrees F in Cincinnati, It will be about 16-18 degrees In Nashville, unless there is a frontal boundary. If it is 29 degrees in Washington DC, it might be about the same or a little warmer or much warmer in Raleigh and Atlanta, depending on the frontal boundaries. For example, I have flown between Philadelphia and Atlanta and Boston and Atlanta in the dead of winter, and sometimes the temperatures are different, but more often than one might expect, they are about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 AM
 
1,856 posts, read 2,994,561 times
Reputation: 1165
me? I am from the south and enjoy the winter more than anything. I love the spring and the fall but hate the summer. Summers in the south are hell...and I mean that literally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,434,240 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Im actually enjoying the cold weather what about you guys?
I love it. Did I mention that I'm still wearing denim shorts and a tee shirt when we go out in the evenings?

My in-laws are in town from around the Duluth, MN area, and this is a nice break for them. It was quite a bit colder up there when they left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,899 posts, read 12,131,005 times
Reputation: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I love it. Did I mention that I'm still wearing denim shorts and a tee shirt when we go out in the evenings?
There's something seriously wrong with you, boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 06:54 PM
 
1,260 posts, read 1,923,750 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Unfortunately too many (ignorant) people up north have this misconception that "The South" is a region which magically stays warm through the year. The Southern U.S. and Southern Florida are not one and the same, weather-wise. The mid-south (Tennessee, N.C.) and parts of the deep south (the northern parts of Georgia, Alabama, Miss., Arkansas and S.C.) are really just southern extensions of the midwest and mid-atlantic U.S. climate-wise, with more gulf-influences. If it is 9 degrees F in Cincinnati, It will be about 16-18 degrees In Nashville, unless there is a frontal boundary. If it is 29 degrees in Washington DC, it might be about the same or a little warmer or much warmer in Raleigh and Atlanta, depending on the frontal boundaries. For example, I have flown between Philadelphia and Atlanta and Boston and Atlanta in the dead of winter, and sometimes the temperatures are different, but more often than one might expect, they are about the same.
You know I must concur. I moved here from DC a few years ago, but I grew up here. In my opinion it gets just as cold here as it does there, the only difference is DC gets snow. I recall many freezing temperatures here last year in February and March too so I don't expect to put away my heavy coat, scarf, or gloves anytime soon. I will say I hope it snows, I loved playing in the snow when I lived in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 AM
 
Location: West Metro Atlanta
606 posts, read 1,742,654 times
Reputation: 95
Why would anyone move to Atlanta to escape the cold ? If you want to escape the cold move to LA or South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Greater Beantown, Mass.
579 posts, read 1,555,584 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
You know I must concur. I moved here from DC a few years ago, but I grew up here. In my opinion it gets just as cold here as it does there, the only difference is DC gets snow. I recall many freezing temperatures here last year in February and March too so I don't expect to put away my heavy coat, scarf, or gloves anytime soon. I will say I hope it snows, I loved playing in the snow when I lived in DC.
Well, we've got a little snow now also ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,846 posts, read 14,851,618 times
Reputation: 3504
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Why would anyone move to Atlanta to escape the cold ? If you want to escape the cold move to LA or South Florida.
Agreed if you never want it to be cold. There is still a marked difference between the climate in Atlanta and places like the northeast and midwest. This past week has been a record setting anomaly for most of the eastern half of the country. Miami set new record lows.

Sure, there are normally cold nights and some cold days in Atlanta during January especially, but the winter is relatively mild on average and doesn't last that long.

Some cold is nice; just not 4 to 6 months of bitter cold with tens of feet of snow. I for one wouldn't want to live in perpetual summer either, and that's why we didn't choose to move to Florida, despite the fact that my wife and I both have immediate family there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,608,577 times
Reputation: 1347
Atlanta is a place to come if you still want to enjoy four seasons, but prefer your winters to be very short and mild.

Does Atlanta get cold? Yes. But the key difference is that it doesn't stay cold. For example, the cold weather that we've been experiencing isn't necessarily unusual; however the duration of this colder weather pattern is highly unusual in that cold fronts usually last no longer than a couple of days before the daytime highs are back to the 50s. Additionally Spring arrives very early compared to the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top