Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Enjoying my new apartment and my now 15 minute commute to work versus my previous 90 minute commute!

Anyhow, I need to find a new gym to join that is closer to my place. My current gym is in Dunwoody, which I chose due to it being halfway between my job and my former residence. I like my facility, but why bother driving out of the way up there when I don't have to?

My contract is up in March, and I've been leaning heavily towards joining LA Fitness, as there are two within a few miles of my area, and I think that they do have memberships that are fairly flexible enough for you to go to any location in the area. Does anyone know about this? The one over on La Vista and NDH Rd looks to be quite crowded ALL the time, so I know I'll probably be fighting for an elliptical machine since I'm a 9 to 5er like just about everyone else. Also, I've heard about the numerous car break ins/vandalism's that were happening at that gym as well. The one over by LaVista and 285 seems to be less crowded.

Are their contracts fairly straightforward without any of the Bally's style trickery (ya'll just don't know how much I can't stand Bally's )

Are there any other gyms in the area that people reccomend? Any one know anything about Athletic Club over on Sheridan Rd? I've also heard decent things about DeKalb Medical's fitness center, but their hours are not that flexible for me. I also checked out Blomeyer over at Emory, but they are really expensive for non-students/non-employees.

I've lost 80 pounds over the last year and I plan on losing more and having to maintain that, so any tips on gyms in the area would really help me! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Hi everyone.

The one over by LaVista and 285 seems to be less crowded.
I was a member there a while back. It was usually crowded. Every time I drive by there the parking lot is packed and I sometimes see people directing traffic.

Here's a gym on Northlake Parkway. My wife used to have a membership here, and liked it:

Full Cycle Fitness - Indoor Cycling, Aerobics, Pilates, Yoga, Personal Training

Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Any one know anything about Athletic Club over on Sheridan Rd?
Used to belong there prior to my move to Decatur...fabulous facility, although a bit on the pricey side.

Athletic Club Northeast | Atlanta, Georgia

Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Used to belong there prior to my move to Decatur...fabulous facility, although a bit on the pricey side.

Athletic Club Northeast | Atlanta, Georgia

Approximately how much are they per month?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,161 times
When I used to live in that area (I lived in Windsor at Briarhill on Sheridan) I worked out at Planet Fitness on Buford Hwy. I have no clue if it's still there (this was 2001-2002), but it was a solid gym, but focused mainly on weights and cardio machines (ie, not many classes and no pool, but those aren't my thing). I think I was paying $300/year at the time. I ended up joining LA Fitness when I moved b/c I like the flexbility of being able to work out at whatever gym is closest, and I got a good deal of $599 for 2 years + 3 extra months, and now whenever I renew I pay $299 for 14 months up front. It sucks to pay it all up front, but that's $21/month which is hard to beat.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 18,493 times
Athletic Club Northeast is nice, but expensive. Roughly $100 or so/month. Worth it, if you can afford it.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reporter25 View Post
Athletic Club Northeast is nice, but expensive. Roughly $100 or so/month. Worth it, if you can afford it.
They actually have 'menu' pricing...you can tailor your monthly fee according to the services you wish to use. That is ballpark, though.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,404 times
what about an area ymca?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
what about an area ymca?
The Decatur-DeKalb YMCA is a great facility, but even more expensive than the Northeast Athletic Club.

YMCA of Metropolitan Atlanta - Decatur-Dekalb Family YMCA Home Page

Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
I have no 'experience'/FYI to give---but there is an LA Fitness across from Toco Hill--behind Caribou Coffee.

In Toco Hill Shopping Center--there is a 'Woman's' WorkOut Center and there used to be a Curves---neither of which might be relevant to your needs.

On LaVista--headed toward Cheshire Bridge--not far from the intersection of B'Cliff and La Vista/Whole Foods area--there is a small gym--and serious fitness seemed to be the mission there. I was walking my dog and stopped by--way too intense for me.

Check with 'Bicycle South' at North Decatur Rd--I'll bet they could tell you where some good places for fitness are. Those who ride the streets of Clairmont, North Druid Hills, Briarcliff Rd and all the way to Stone Mountain must be in peak physical shape---truly courageous and daring souls, jmo. lol.

At Mason Mill Park--from time to time 'Boot Camps for Fitness' are held there and in other nearby locations. I believe you would contact DeKalb County Parks and Recreation Dept for that--or you might have to dial '311' and find out which department handles this---could be 'Special Populations'.

If you are ever in Mason Mill Park during business hours--there is a center--courses are taught there--and those at the front desk are very helpful--perhaps that would be a good resource for you.

The new Toco Hill/Avis Williams library also employs knowledgeable and helpful people and there are many brochures available for consumers about 'What is Going on in DeKalb'---maybe you could find something there?

LOL--If you want to dance--there is a Dance Studio at Loehman's Plaza---Salsa, Swing, Everything.

Yoga--one studio at Briarcliff and La Vista---forget the name. And one on Zonolite Rd--behind the Briarcliff Animal Clinic---probably the more well-known of the two.

hth

Another thing---there are many studies being conducted at Emory---you can check online at Emory Healthcare Connection--if you qualify for a study--you might get some good fitness training with that.

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta