Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:22 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Those projects people are so fake, they just put on a show acting like their bad and hardcore just because they are in downtown ATL. This 30 blah blah mafia is just a bunch of scared little teens they'll be someone's biatch in jail soon enough.
Is this a serious post? LOL I couldnt even post without laughing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM

I said this in another thread... people that thought this was a good idea were absolutely delusional. Basically all they did was spread the crime all around the city.. you arent going to change a persons mindstate just by giving them a section 8 voucher to move. Apartments will just be the new projects..

Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 PM

152 posts, read 525,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
The apartment complex across from my subdivision in Gwinnett went section 8, and the neighborhood went downhill. People change locations, they just don't change thier bad habits and bad friends and associates. This was one of the reasons I left gwinnett. (oh, and the mexican drug dealers down the street)
Agree with this and the others who have said the people are just being spread out. There's plenty of places in Gwinnett that aren't 'projects' but they might as well be. I'm sure other suburbs are the same.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorLuv View Post
A lot of "visual" improvements w/ the projects they started taring down in the 90s. That is it. On the flipside, I saw an increase in homelessness and more folks moving to section 8 apartments / rentals in the suburbs. Seems like a bandaid to me. I got a feeling that in a decade instead of housing projects, we'll have worn down private-owned apartment complexes. No one still wants to fix the issue at hand and that is getthing these folks from these areas to start thinking more progressively. They just want to move them, make some money. All of this will be the same in 2020.
There is a saying "today's suburbs, tomorrow's ghettos", translation: these "new" developments will have the same fate once residents don't care anymore and when never developments pop up.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Box

382 posts, read 661,332 times
Hey. Here's an idea. Lets just maybe, instead of concentrating on how to make people disappear, concentrate on how to get people access to decent jobs that pay people a living wage, and services to deal with the issues that folks have been facing due to generations of disenfranchisement, and the social results of said disenfranchisement. But naw, that just sounds like crazy talk.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Hey. Here's an idea. Lets just maybe, instead of concentrating on how to make people disappear, concentrate on how to get people access to decent jobs that pay people a living wage, and services to deal with the issues that folks have been facing due to generations of disenfranchisement, and the social results of said disenfranchisement. But naw, that just sounds like crazy talk.
The people that want that take advantage of our safety net and get "good jobs". The problem is, some folk just don't give a damn. They have all these programs out there, free public education etc, but still don't want to take advantage and improve their life. What do you prepose we do? You can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. People don't rob and steal to eat in 1st world countries becuase we give them food. No, they do that out of selfishness, lazynesz, greed and entitlement.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
The people that want that take advantage of our safety net and get "good jobs". The problem is, some folk just don't give a damn. They have all these programs out there, free public education etc, but still don't want to take advantage and improve their life. What do you prepose we do? You can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. People don't rob and steal to eat in 1st world countries becuase we give them food. No, they do that out of selfishness, lazynesz, greed and entitlement.
This is dumb, and wrong...and a stupid generalization. And obviously a post from someone that didn't grow up anywhere in or near the hood. First of all, not everyone DOES have that option. There are many kids that are expected to work and help pay bills at home before they even reach high school. Many of them neglect their education as a result of it or even drop out of school at all. See, in the hood not everything is all "cut and dry." The prior generations mistakes often damage the next one and the cycle just continues. And those "free programs" aren't available to everyone either. And not everyone in that cycle is there because "they don't want to help themselves."

Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
This is dumb, and wrong...and a stupid generalization. And obviously a post from someone that didn't grow up anywhere in or near the hood. First of all, not everyone DOES have that option. There are many kids that are expected to work and help pay bills at home before they even reach high school. Many of them neglect their education as a result of it or even drop out of school at all. See, in the hood not everything is all "cut and dry." The prior generations mistakes often damage the next one and the cycle just continues. And those "free programs" aren't available to everyone either. And not everyone in that cycle is there because "they don't want to help themselves."
You pretty much summed up what I was going to say. It seems like people are content with residential segregation, economically and racially (but of course people love to live near "diverse" restaurants, and but not diverse people.) I hate how this board talks about people like they're cattle, and reduces their humanity to "those people." Yes, there are pervasive issues in many areas of Atlanta, and its suburbs, but these issues didn't just spring out of a vacuum. People will yell about how these people want quick money and dont want to work, and then five minutes later will post about how there are no jobs in ATL. Work to solve the issues which effect people, dont just cover it up and let those issues fester.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
What do you supposed people do to fix other people's mistakes? There is a cultural issue and no amounts of public help will end that mentality. The best people can do is try to protect themselves from scum. Most people don't have time to do that and then worry about why scum is scum and no all poor people are not scum.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
You pretty much summed up what I was going to say. It seems like people are content with residential segregation, economically and racially (but of course people love to live near "diverse" restaurants, and but not diverse people.) I hate how this board talks about people like they're cattle, and reduces their humanity to "those people." Yes, there are pervasive issues in many areas of Atlanta, and its suburbs, but these issues didn't just spring out of a vacuum. People will yell about how these people want quick money and dont want to work, and then five minutes later will post about how there are no jobs in ATL. Work to solve the issues which effect people, dont just cover it up and let those issues fester.
I'm black and I love living around black people who adopt a culture of personal responsibility and hard work. Some things are not gonna change no matter how many programs you create. You gotta get rid of a culture that doesn't want to rise up or be responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta