U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:44 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,760,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Those 60's ice storms---can't recall what we ate---certain it was soup--my Mother/grandmother used to can soup/veggies in the summer and somehow or other we must have heated it. Our house had/still has floor furnaces and I vaguely recall sitting pots on the grate to heat I suppose the soup.

We had a round metal press into which you inserted 2 pieces of white bread and fruit filling--cherry was my favorite. You then toasted the press over a burner until both sides were brown and spriinkled cinnamon sugar on the little pie. I love those things still--we do them now with whole wheat bread --butter both sides and put the dried fruit in between in a sandwich maker. LOL you get 2 triangles instead of a round pie--but great on cold days with a cup of hot chocolate.

They showed a traffic incident last night--somewhere north of me???---cars slid and I think there were minor injuries--anyway one guy was holding a cat--waiting for the wife of the driver to arrive. He said they lived in the neighborhood and he would keep the kitty warm and comfortable until the wife arrived or take it home to her. I thought that was very kind--wish more people were like that.

We must be of the same 'vintage'?--Do you remember this--it seemed to get progressively colder from the end of September on--and by Thanksgiving we were were wearing corduroy pants and wool sweaters and by December you really need a warm coat and hat and gloves---if Easter came early you could plan to wear your wool coat over your frilly thin Easter dress.

I know this happened--have the pictures---it has been so long since it has been cold in Atlanta that I have very few clothes warm enough to get out in this weather. Some heavy sweats--but you can't stay out long. Fortunately--I can layer up with some tights, exercise clothes and haven't frozen my arse off but this temperature in the teens is a real shock.

The last time I remember an extended cold spell was around the Christmas of '80 or '81---my apt had a gap under the door--and the howling arctic winds kept the place like an icebox---that went on for over a week.

But the one I will always remember---is the 'Great Ice Storm of '72'---closed the city down completely for over a week. No electricity and after a few days not only were in the throes of cabin fever you began to smell a bit ripe---lol. We had a gas stove thank goodness and a portable radio---I guess I was about 22---had no idea of emergency preparedness. Doubt that we had milk or bread----wonder what we ate---2 single women. Crazy times.

I made onion soup in the crockpot last night---just in case. And did make it to the Kroger for the gallon of milk---so we have survived.

I expect a freaky little ice storm just when the jonquils start to pop up--that always bothers me a bit--always ready for spring. But ---hey--this is Atlanta---our weather is out of its mind. LOL

We had central heat but still had a working floor furnace. That furnace came in mighty handy at times! I remember that my dad had to go in the basement and turn it on manually. If you put a clothes rack on the furnace (which we did when it was on!) the clothes would be dry in 10 minutes. It's a balmy thirty over here in the northern suburbs and I'm gearing up for a quick run to the store. Cabin fever is setting in -- I've been doing some work for my women's club via phone and internet this afternoon and they all have the fever, too! Will share some more storm and snow memories of Atlanta later. Who can forget Snow Jam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,854,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
We had central heat but still had a working floor furnace. That furnace came in mighty handy at times! I remember that my dad had to go in the basement and turn it on manually. If you put a clothes rack on the furnace (which we did when it was on!) the clothes would be dry in 10 minutes. It's a balmy thirty over here in the northern suburbs and I'm gearing up for a quick run to the store. Cabin fever is setting in -- I've been doing some work for my women's club via phone and internet this afternoon and they all have the fever, too! Will share some more storm and snow memories of Atlanta later. Who can forget Snow Jam?
'Snow Jam'---was that the one in the early 90's?

There was a snow and or ice storm in the early 80's---cannot recall much about all the snow and ice storms---don't go out and get stuck---I did that once and tried to never do it again. I was teaching then---schools were closed and we just waited until they said, 'You're going back tomorrow'.

LOL--once, might have been around '83---we had snow/ice right before Spring Break---I sort of remember that one. Definitely remember the 'Gas Crisis' of the mid 70's---schools kept the thermostats low--very low imo. My prinicipal didn't think wearing a hat was a professional look but the heating/cooling unit was in the ceiling and that air was cold ---I had short hair then. Ah, the memories.

My grandparents lived in a house built by my grandfather and my relatives still tell stories of how freezing cold it was---heated by fireplaces--maybe coal--they later got those little gas heaters. Fortunately, my grandmother was a great quilter and they would jump into bed at night with some heated bricks and hurry into their clothes in the morning. So I guess it's not so bad today.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:45 PM

2,220 posts, read 3,536,248 times
I saw so many accidents yesterday with clowns that thought they could do 60 on ice...I damn near slid off the road myself and I was only doing 20.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,760,202 times
Take a Hike, I am just a few years less "ripe and aged" than you are! LOL Yes, I remember my mother telling about the heated bricks, etc. I sure do like the thermostat on the gas heat and the instant heat from the supplemental electric heater! The "Snowjam" thing was awful. The snow came in very quickly and lots of people were stranded on their way home from work. That was a very cold winter and I also taught school then. We had people in two different schools in the carpool and one principal actually wanted to have a faculty meeting! We were out a lot that year. One morning it was 10 below and school was called off because the pipes were frozen. (Wonder what the kids waiting on the bus would have done?). I was always toasty because I was in a portable and had control over my thermostat! The buildings were freezing because their heat was controlled by the central office. I am just now warming up from today's short jaunt for some bacon and cat food. Tomorrow that car will be warmed up before I leave -- but this was the first trip out since Thursday at 12:00! There are still a lot of icy patches and people going 45 or 50 in a 30 pmh zone.

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 01-09-2010 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: to add a sentence

Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 PM

13,178 posts, read 20,826,707 times
The road outside our development is still listed as impassable on the Milton website, although cars have been up and down it most of the day. On the other hand, Waste Management and the mail truck must be reading the website. We haven't seen either since the storm.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:20 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,766,410 times
Mattie,

Same for us! No mail today and our garbage from yesterday is still sitting outside for pickup. Whatever happened to "through rain, through snow, through dark of night...?"

Old 01-09-2010, 08:47 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,854,080 times
Just heard some skidding on ice in front of my house---there are trees along the street and the ice melts and freezes--duh--as if that isn't going on across the entire city.

Go DeKalb Sanitation---the garbage was picked up on schedule yesterday.

Now--let's see if the 14 bags of leaves will be removed on Monday. The trash people are more particular---bags can't be too full and branches must be cut to, IIRC, 4 ft. ---probably the same everywhere but I was once informed of this personally and have never forgotten.

I made chili-----seems to be pretty good. Didn't have most of the spices or seasonings but made it anyway. Put too much hot sauce---then remembered that someone told me to put cold coffee in chili to decrease the fire/spiciness. Seemed to work. Now my dog refuses to go out and he had better not expect me to take him around 2 AM. Grrrr---love is less in the middle of the night when I am shivering at the door. And he knows this. Dogs.

Hoping everybody has their pets in---I will definitely be crying again in there are more animal abuse stories. Not to hijack this thread further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or