U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,153,729 times

Advertisements

Just wait...it'll be BREAKING NEWS...
If you're from the north you'll get a good laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:51 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,885,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
the first snowfall of the season, and I'm talking about in northern cities such as Boston, result in the most accidents and worst road conditions, because of the lack of salt and sand on the roads.
Not sure I agree with this. MAYBE the fact that people don't adjust their driving habits quickly enough for the first snow or maybe they haven't put on their winter tires could account for some additional crashes, but I'm unaware of towns treating or plowing the roads differently for the first storm.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:55 PM

755 posts, read 2,033,804 times
I hope it snows 2 feet but I doubt we get 1/8 inch if any.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 PM

13,170 posts, read 20,800,491 times
I had to drop off a prescription at Publix this afternoon. I thought I might see crowds stocking up, but nobody was in the store. When we lived in the Northeast, any forecast for snow meant lines at the grocery store. Nice to see people are taking it in stride.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,504,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Besides widespread panic. Does Atlanta have salt spreaders?
Down here salt is something you put on your food and your tequila, not something you put on the road. Down here they actually think that putting sand on an iced road will make it better. (And I am speaking as a former Chicago resident ... so I know how to live with snow)

They have no salt trucks. They have no salt. They have very few snow plows. They have no idea what to do with snow and ice. This is one reason most folks just stay put. The roads really are terribly hazardous because the road crews have no tools at their disposal to make the conditions any better.

IF it does snow and sleet tomorrow (and that's a big if) your best bet is to just stay at home until it melts. That usually takes less than a day. If your son is supposed to work he should check in with his employer before leaving the house -- most businesses just close up when there's any snow or ice accumulation.

FYI: Cherokee County has already announced that all their students are getting a half day tomorrow. Elementary schools will release at noon and upper grades at 1. After school functions have been cancelled.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,504,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Yup. The news crews will be out interviewing the road maintenance folks. They'll be showing random shots of various communities around Atlanta. "Oh look! I think I see a snowflake!" "Here's a tiny patch of ice next to the road, so we know that it is really really cold." It's bigger news than an apartment fire.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 AM

102 posts, read 349,978 times
Expect utter panic...!!!! if anyone anywhere in Georgia sees a snowflake or even a small piece of lint that resembles a snowflake, expect that all schools and government offices statewide will close, the governor will issue a state of emergency, and the National Guard will be called in to keep the peace.

And then... there's thundersnow! I love thundersnow! Remember thundersnow from last year? I think something like that is unique to the deep south. The upper latitudes may have their northern lights.. but down here in GA we top that with thundersnow!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 AM

1,748 posts, read 4,935,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
True. But the kids here when it snows....I have never seen such joy!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM

1,988 posts, read 4,634,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frances125 View Post
Expect utter panic...!!!! if anyone anywhere in Georgia sees a snowflake or even a small piece of lint that resembles a snowflake, expect that all schools and government offices statewide will close, the governor will issue a state of emergency, and the National Guard will be called in to keep the peace.

And then... there's thundersnow! I love thundersnow! Remember thundersnow from last year? I think something like that is unique to the deep south. The upper latitudes may have their northern lights.. but down here in GA we top that with thundersnow!
This is my first winter here (I'm from Florida), so I have to ask............ what is thundersnow?? A thunderstorm with snow?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,966,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
This is my first winter here (I'm from Florida), so I have to ask............ what is thundersnow?? A thunderstorm with snow?
That's correct. During the blizzard of 1993 we had incredibly vivid thundersnow. It was pitch black dark outside, all the lights were out and everything was covered in snow. So when lightning struck it was an amazing sight. I opened my curtains and sat by the fire watching it for hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or