Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,300,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
My husband woke me up to tell me and we stayed up until the wee hours! Our pool is frozen this morning!
I hope you're running your equipment at night to keep water circulating in the lines. If not, you're going to be very unhappy when you find that they all cracked due to the freezing water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,424,229 times
WSB750AM--8:42 AM---15 degrees on P'tree St.

Sounds like they think it will be tomorrow or Sunday until the ice can be managed. Doesn't sound good --especially for Cobb, North Fulton and Beyond.

Certain Gwinnett is in a mess--Yellow River and others--those Gwinnett roads--but I think their schools are open? Could be wrong.

Fell on the driveway taking out the garbage---I think Briarcliff, Clairmont and N. Druid Hills--heavily traveled arteries that they are will be OK by noon.

My mother had a doctor's apt at Emory--no way will we try to navigate Houston Mill and some of the other streets that are involved. Slippery and so many hills. Just one experience on ice should be enough for anyone. I had one.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,137,372 times
Can I ask a really stupid question? Why are milk and bread considered "must buys" in cases of excess snow?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,510,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I hope you're running your equipment at night to keep water circulating in the lines. If not, you're going to be very unhappy when you find that they all cracked due to the freezing water.
Yes we have a freeze guard. Its been running all night....not enough though to keep the deeper end from freezing an inch or so on the top.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 AM

55 posts, read 92,272 times
IMO this is all a bit of an overkill as usual. Here in Gwinnett the roads are fine. Husband left early this morning, back roads all along the way with no issues. He is actually off today so he didn't have to get out. I myself ran errands this morning and everything seems to be business as usual. A 2 hour delay for schools would have been sufficient. I formerly traveled to Chicago every week and trust me they have the same issues and complaints even in small stuff like this. Glad those that are staying in do, because they are probably keeping the rest of us safe.

disclaimer: I am lifelong deep South southerner

Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post
IMO this is all a bit of an overkill as usual. Here in Gwinnett the roads are fine. Husband left early this morning, back roads all along the way with no issues. He is actually off today so he didn't have to get out. I myself ran errands this morning and everything seems to be business as usual. A 2 hour delay for schools would have been sufficient. I formerly traveled to Chicago every week and trust me they have the same issues and complaints even in small stuff like this. Glad those that are staying in do, because they are probably keeping the rest of us safe.

disclaimer: I am lifelong deep South southerner
It's really not overkill when there is an undercoating of slick ice. They can't run the buses if there is any chance of critical risk to students---and over here---Clairmont Rd has had a number of collisions--they said Mason Mill was bad and w/o venturing out I know Houston Mill--any road that runs over water---has extra potential for developing icy spots.

I am a lifelong native myself and I think 'closing the city' down is better than the potential loss of life or serious injury. My mom contacted Emory and some of the doctors aren't even in yet--think about the risk to the paramedics, fire dept staff and the PD in situations like this.

Chicago is a different city with a different climate. Long has the issue of 'How Atlanta Responds to Ice and Snow' been a topic with many opinions. I guess we must agree to disagree. This kind of thing happens randomly---there was a brief flurry of snow last year--covered the yard in the AM and I believe was melted by mid afternoon--when conditions are right and ice develops under the snow ---that is something else.

jmo--Staying in --doesn't feel much warmer---maybe 18 degrees by now?

I'm sure they think we are all wimps in Billings, Montana--I think that place often has arctic type temperature readings--nonetheless---if it is below 30 degrees in Atlanta, GA--it is Cold and if I don't 'Have' to gather my layers of clothing and heaviest coats, gloves and hats---I don't.

One of the coldest places in the city to me , historically, is waiting in the MARTA stations or climbing the steps to the street--BRRRRRR---commuters stay warm.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Can I ask a really stupid question? Why are milk and bread considered "must buys" in cases of excess snow?

Ask CNN or any news station?

That is what people do to prepare for such emergencies--now I think bottled water is also an item purchased with milk and bread.

I guess if nothing else--you could have a glass of milk and PBJ sandwich--provided you remembered to buy the peanut butter and jelly.

If you have milk---and the electricity goes off --you can sit it outside---FWIW.

Several times during ice storms the electricity has gone out and we had to try to eat a lot of strange things before they spoiled.

It is part of the Ice Storm Experience?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM

13,976 posts, read 25,859,103 times
Our driveway is a sheet of ice. We actually own a snow shovel, so we went out and cleared off the top layer in the hope that the sun might melt the rest. I just took the dogs out into the yard, and can hear a car spinning it's wheels trying to make it up the hill outside our neighborhood.

I'm sure some areas are better than others, but at least the side roads here in Milton are very icy. I'm glad they closed the schools. If the area had access to the snow removal stuff every town owns in the northeast, this little bit of snow wouldn't be any big deal. But, without road salt, and with inexperienced winter weather drivers, the danger shouldn't be discounted.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:52 AM

285 posts, read 874,262 times
My road in Decatur is a sheet of ice and it's a pretty well used throughway. I had to get a pretty good start to get up out of my driveway heh.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:57 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,006,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Time-honored tradition.

We generally have a decent supply of G2, Sprite Zero, and various canned or frozen munchie items lying around plus at least one gallon of milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta