U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,162,484 times

Advertisements

Well, at Noon here in NW DeKalb, my street is still a solid sheet of ice. This doesn't bode well with highs not reaching 32 today.

Glad some of you were able to get out and about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM

1,856 posts, read 3,008,211 times
our office is closing early today...around 1:00pm with pay...woohoo!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,850,932 times
Briarcliff to Clairmont to N. Druid Hills is clear---a part of Briarcliff before the BCliff Library is blocked off--no idea why.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,048,461 times
People are moving along Peachtree okay-the side streets are really icy and that's where cars are sliding. Plus it's windy and really, really cold.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:56 AM

13,175 posts, read 20,819,538 times
My youngest went out to the gym, arrived safely, but now the road leading to our development is closed in both directions and he can't get home. It is a mess out there. The police are sitting at the barricades to make sure nobody goes around. To the left of us, a dozen cars are waiting to be towed out of the ditch along the 2 mile stretch. To the right, another 5.

The cops told us they are waiting on a pickup truck of sand to try and get the road reopened, but they had no idea when the truck would arrive.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 PM

90 posts, read 227,587 times
We moved to Alpharetta a few days ago from Canada. I moved partly to get away from the snow. I'm sorry, it must have followed me here.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 PM

60 posts, read 262,694 times
Just curious, why isn't salt or calcium chloride used to melt the snow? I think NY learned in the late 90s that sand is good for nothing but traction. Since then its has used melting chemicals exclusively and we rarely have an icing issue.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:11 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
Just curious, why isn't salt or calcium chloride used to melt the snow? I think NY learned in the late 90s that sand is good for nothing but traction. Since then its has used melting chemicals exclusively and we rarely have an icing issue.
It is my understanding that the chemicals deteriorate over time. Believe it or not, we have some winters where they wouldn't be used. Local governments (that is who is responsible for clearing all roads but interstates and state roads) can afford to stockpile it. Sand doesn't go bad.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,498,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
That's a good question. The roads are salted into oblivion in the Twin Cities, and it works as long as the temps don't get too cold (when it gets below zero, none of that stuff works effectively).

I used to live in a townhouse in the Twin Cities with a roof drainage issue just above the front steps, and our sidewalk in front would turn into a pond and then freeze, sometimes a few inches thick. Dangerous as heck. A quick application of melting pellets (calcium chloride, I think) from the local hardware store would turn it into a sponge and get rid of it in a hurry. Apply it in the evening, and by morning you could remove quite easily it with an ice chipper. Without the pellets, it was a few hours of very hard work. Ugh.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:25 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,078,260 times
Salt and other chemicals are pretty bad for the environment, and for the vehicles that travel on the roads. The local government not only has to have the chemicals on hand, but they have to have the equipment and personnel to go out and spread the stuff. I just don't think it would make sense for metro Atlanta local governments to spend the money needed to accomplish this, given the low frequency of this kind of weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or