U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 9,492 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning to move from Miami in the very near future. I'm having a bit of a dilema deciding where to go. I'm really interested in the Charlotte, N.C area although I've never been there. I know it may seem kinda crazy wanting to go somewhere you've never been(that's the crazy in me), but I have been interested in NC for some time now. I have been doing research on NC, but I'm still not 100% sure. On the other hand, I am somewhat familiar with ATL. I lived in Marietta briefly as a child and I have family and friends currently living in ATL. I like ATL and it would have been my 1st choice if NC wasnt so much on my mind. I am currently unemployed and will be searching for work. I know that wherever I go finding work may be a task, especially in this recession, so that's not the issue. I want to compare the two cities and make my decision as time is winding down for me. I would love any insight you guys can give me on ATL. I've answered the general questons below:

1. Budget $800
2. House/Condo/Townhome? house, but the others will do too
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) unemployed, currently seeking, commute
4. Children(public school vs. private) yes 3, public schools(highschool with art program, an elem. and a preschool/daycare
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. suburban, but not too far from the city, a mix of 2 is cool too
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? very important just in case my clunker gives out
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. somewhere safe with a lot of kids and affordable, if that's possible on my budget.

I'm looking for someplace where blacks are a little more successful and have more of an oppurtunity. As you may or may not know, Miami is mainly populated by Hispanics and it's a little bit harder for blacks to get ahead here(at least in my opinion and experiences).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,289,681 times
I think it's very, very, very important for you to line up a job first. That will make your move to whichever city you choose, both of which have areas that satisfy your criteria, that much easier and smoother.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 PM

969 posts, read 1,660,855 times
I say Atlanta. It is similar in size and feel to Miami but a lot cheaper. I live in Charlotte... it's not that great. I'm looking to move soon to Atlanta myself.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 AM

98 posts, read 544,653 times
My vote is also for ATL. I moved to charlotte 4 years ago and just like you didn't know a soul but wanted to move here. I am now looking at transitioning to ATL this spring time. Personally I just don't like it here anymore and feel it's more for those who have families.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,985,027 times
I agree with the comment about having a job lined up first. Both areas have high unemployment rates. But beyond that, you should ask yourself do you prefer to live in a small city or large one. Miami is probably considered more vibrant than Atlanta, but the two metros are pretty much the same size. Charlotte is much, much smaller, at only about a quarter of the size. Atlanta would offer similar big city ammenties as Miami, whereas Charlotte would be a huge lifestyle change from what you're probably used to.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 9,492 times
Thanks guys for all of your help!! ATL is probably closer to what I am used to, but I'm not afraid of change either. I'm still not sure, but I am leaning towards ATL (at least I was until I saw the weather report this morning...it's cold as hell there..BRRRRRRRRRRR>>>LMAO!!) Seriously though, if I choose ATL I will definitely need more advice from you guys. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta