U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM

222 posts, read 620,257 times

Advertisements

I still enjoy the Briarcliff Rd. location. Not the selection of Sweet Tomatoes, but a lot less harried and noisey. Some of the best homemade chili for years.

I actually knew the girl who started the chain. She was a Ga. State student. All the soup and muffins were made from scratch. A few years in, she was approached by investors, and bought her out.

I'm trying to recall all the locations. So far I recall:

Briarcliff Rd. (Now the only left & run by an asian family)

Hammond Dr. Sandy Springs (Was near the old Kmart)

Piedmont Rd Downtown (In the now gone Rio shopping mall)

Some research shows one on Windward Parkway, that closed in 2007
I find that strange... It would have had to be built ages ago, when Windward was NOT the mega-road it is today. Never knew it there!

Also, apparently there was one on Ponce that was located inside a Chinese restaurant!

If anyone can think of others, please chime in. I don't think the chain expanded like the investors had envisioned.

If you ever enjoyed any of the locations, and can recall maybe opening & closing dates, it would be of interest. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM

22,794 posts, read 34,834,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
I still enjoy the Briarcliff Rd. location. Not the selection of Sweet Tomatoes, but a lot less harried and noisey. Some of the best homemade chili for years.

I actually knew the girl who started the chain. She was a Ga. State student. All the soup and muffins were made from scratch. A few years in, she was approached by investors, and bought her out.

I'm trying to recall all the locations. So far I recall:

Briarcliff Rd. (Now the only left & run by an asian family)

Hammond Dr. Sandy Springs (Was near the old Kmart)

Piedmont Rd Downtown (In the now gone Rio shopping mall)

Some research shows one on Windward Parkway, that closed in 2007
I find that strange... It would have had to be built ages ago, when Windward was NOT the mega-road it is today. Never knew it there!

Also, apparently there was one on Ponce that was located inside a Chinese restaurant!

If anyone can think of others, please chime in. I don't think the chain expanded like the investors had envisioned.

If you ever enjoyed any of the locations, and can recall maybe opening & closing dates, it would be of interest. Thanks!
I think there was one on Pharr Road in Buckhead, next to the Fish Market.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM

222 posts, read 620,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think there was one on Pharr Road in Buckhead, next to the Fish Market.
Don't recall that one, but could very well have been.

Maybe around the time Oxford Books superstore was still open>?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM

22,794 posts, read 34,834,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
Don't recall that one, but could very well have been.

Maybe around the time Oxford Books superstore was still open>?
Exactly.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM

697 posts, read 2,634,848 times
I think the Windward location is still there, despite the review on Yelp that says it's closed -- we drove by there last weekend and my wife noticed the sign for the first time, and there's a review on Google Maps that's only about six weeks old.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,851,618 times
There was one next to Gwinnett Place Mall

Old 01-07-2010, 03:55 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,512,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There was one next to Gwinnett Place Mall
There is a Sweet Tomatoes right next to the mall now. However, I have no idea if there was a 'Lettuce Souprise You' before. I've never even heard of it, haha.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:12 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,229,519 times
I loved Lettuce Surprise You...there were several locations around Metro Atlanta and also a handful in Houston. It was the first really good salad/soup/muffin place that I can remember...

I knew one of the new investors from Richmond...it sounded like he had some good ideas for the place, but the changes really put the nail in the coffin. Everything after the new owners came in was cheaper and tasted cheaper.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,175,502 times
I used to eat at the Briarcliff location years ago when I lived intown and it was a new place. Really liked it. The closest thing I have to that now is the Sweet Tomatoes in Kennesaw, and it's not the same at all - decent food I guess, but the atmosphere is definitely "suburban 3.5 kids stuffy" compared to the mix at Lettuce Souprise You.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 AM

167 posts, read 690,743 times
I use to love, LOVE, Lettuce Souprise You. I frequented the one at Rio Mall before it was torn down. I agree Sweet Tomatoes is not as good as Lettuce Souprise You back in the day. However, now I've grown to like the Sweet Tomatoes in Gwinnett. Their ingredients are fresh and their soups are delicious! They always have something new on the bar and they ask for feedback to improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or