U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,853,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
and don't forget the Flag
I wasn't living here in 2002, but I actually give Barnes some credit for finally getting rid of the 1956 flag. There was no good reason to maintain a symbol that was instituted in 1956 specifically as a political statement in favor of segregation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:13 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,801,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I wasn't living here in 2002, but I actually give Barnes some credit for finally getting rid of the 1956 flag. There was no good reason to maintain a symbol that was instituted in 1956 specifically as a political statement in favor of segregation.

Ah, Neil--your reasonable, rational MidWestern outlook is of course ---'Correct'.

I guess I don't care 'Enough' about the history/heritage/legacy of the State of GA---I thought Barnes did well enough as a Governor---things went 'Insane' when the new flag was unveiled.

I cannot tell you to this day why the current flag, which replaced the 2003 flag, is better. Surely someone will start a thread and go through all of that again. We didn't need the St. Andrews Cross---we needed to get finished with that---what all the rest of the 'discussion/demonstrating at the Capitol' has been about is beyond me.

I would have voted for a large Peach--after hearing all the passionate opinions on the flag.

Politics in GA---my ears, my ears---mmmm---back in the 60's --Lester Maddox was Governor--owned a restaurant--???Pickrick???--handed out axe handles--I was about 13 and didn't think that was 'very nice'---politics in general seemed not to be 'very nice'. We have a 2 party system and constitutional rights---and Georgians are aware of this---opinions will be expressed.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,259,304 times
In Oxendine’s Georgia, God would return to public schools | Jay Bookman

"According to his Twitter posts, Oxendine hustled up to Fort Oglethorpe before the game Friday evening to meet with the cheerleaders, even reading them a proclamation of support.
In other tweets on the subject, he has quoted evangelist Pat Robertson to the effect that, “There is no separation of church & state in the Constitution. It is a lie of the Left & we are not going to take it anymore.”
He also quoted Pat Buchanan: “We’re going to bring back God & the Bible & drive the gods of secular humanism right out of the public schools of America.”
Governors and government have no power, and in this country no right, to “bring back God and the Bible.” That is a power reserved to the people, and if left in their hands I’m certain it will be used wisely.

Just what we need... another clueless leader who focuses on non-issues while the potential of GA is lost due to lack of future vision and real leadership.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 AM

197 posts, read 441,059 times
I don't think Barnes has a chance in hell of getting elected. In addition to the fact that he's been in that office before and made his incompetence apparent, the Democrats are probably going to get slaughtered at the polls nationwide this year.

With that said, we really need to move away from both the Democrats and Republicans. With the exception of a few of them (like Ron Paul for example), the vast majority of politicians on both sides of the isle are nothing but a bunch of criminal scumbags who are raping and pillaging this country. They are opposite wings of the same vulture that is devouring the very heart of this country. I think this may be a very good year for a third party of some sort.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,853,765 times
Quote:
Ah, Neil--your reasonable, rational MidWestern outlook is of course ---'Correct'.
Appreciate it, but I'm not from the midwest. I'll take it as a compliment anyway.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,120,291 times
If Oxendine is elected, I will lose all hope for this once great State.

That one thing would probably prod me into leaving the place that I love.

BTW, I am a huge Barnes supporter, and would love to have him back. Sonny-Bubba has moved us backwards to the point of embarrassment, imo.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:10 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,436,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
With that said, we really need to move away from both the Democrats and Republicans. With the exception of a few of them (like Ron Paul for example), the vast majority of politicians on both sides of the isle are nothing but a bunch of criminal scumbags who are raping and pillaging this country. They are opposite wings of the same vulture that is devouring the very heart of this country. I think this may be a very good year for a third party of some sort.
Gotta be careful, tho. That's the situation that made Jesse Ventura Governor of Minnesota, and while I voted for him and thought he did okay, not everyone in the fine State of Minnesota would agree with me.

It was nice to have someone in office who wasn't a slimy career politician type, though. Unfortunately, the fact that he was an outsider ended up hurting him somewhat when it came to getting things done.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Appreciate it, but I'm not from the midwest. I'll take it as a compliment anyway.
Twin Cities, Mineapolis, MN--I count that as Midwest. 'Mary Tyler Moore' country?

You do seem to be reasonable and rational --wherever you hail from.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
In Oxendine’s Georgia, God would return to public schools | Jay Bookman

"According to his Twitter posts, Oxendine hustled up to Fort Oglethorpe before the game Friday evening to meet with the cheerleaders, even reading them a proclamation of support.
In other tweets on the subject, he has quoted evangelist Pat Robertson to the effect that, “There is no separation of church & state in the Constitution. It is a lie of the Left & we are not going to take it anymore.”
He also quoted Pat Buchanan: “We’re going to bring back God & the Bible & drive the gods of secular humanism right out of the public schools of America.”
Governors and government have no power, and in this country no right, to “bring back God and the Bible.” That is a power reserved to the people, and if left in their hands I’m certain it will be used wisely.

Just what we need... another clueless leader who focuses on non-issues while the potential of GA is lost due to lack of future vision and real leadership.

oooooooh---noooooo---

I thought that was 'Sonny's' thing---remembering when he prayed for rain for the Chattahoochee. This is GA---and there are several 'political footballs' tossed at whim by either side.

sigh---I know Clark Howard has health issues, too intelligent to get into a 'stewing pot of goo'--wouldn't run for mayor of Atlanta, etc---but that is the sort of person that would be my choice.

We had a good politician--Senator Sam Nunn--served his time in politics and said, 'That's It'---reminded me of Colin Powell---don't know what he is doing now---something sane and worthwhile.

Boortz won't do it---having too much fun evangelizing for Fair Tax, flying the plane to Naples and collecting $$$$$$$---Boortz should run for Governor and put his philosophies into action. Surely he has a mentoree that could step forward?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,120,291 times
Quote:
We had a good politician--Senator Sam Nunn--served his time in politics and said, 'That's It'---reminded me of Colin Powell---don't know what he is doing now---something sane and worthwhile.

IIRC, Sam is now a senior partner at King & Spalding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or