U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 AM

60 posts, read 150,303 times
Default Houses near Chattahoochee River

With the Chattahoochee River running through Metro Atlanta, I see many houses and subdivisions built along the river.

Are there any risks with living near the river?
Are these houses prone to flooding or damp basements?
Was the flooding of 2009 due to the Chattahoochee River?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:18 AM

12,793 posts, read 18,917,527 times

Absolutely. There are also risks in living near Peachtree and Nancy Creeks.

They can be, which is why tend to build the houses with elevated living areas.

No, it was due to heavy and prolonged rainfall.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 AM

214 posts, read 356,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Absolutely. There are also risks in living near Peachtree and Nancy Creeks.

They can be, which is why tend to build the houses with elevated living areas.

No, it was due to heavy and prolonged rainfall.
Agree with this

Also, you better like wildlife. My neighborhood is situated near the Chattahoochee and the wildlife here is abundant.

Regarding flooding: In my neighborhood, many of the homes that had flooding issues were not situated along the river. . .but were located in the path of the rain-water flow << if that makes sense>>. The ground became saturated from the extensive rainfall and had nowhere to go but in basements.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessnATL View Post
Agree with this

Also, you better like wildlife. My neighborhood is situated near the Chattahoochee and the wildlife here is abundant.

Regarding flooding: In my neighborhood, many of the homes that had flooding issues were not situated along the river. . .but were located in the path of the rain-water flow << if that makes sense>>. The ground became saturated from the extensive rainfall and had nowhere to go but in basements.

We're used to wildlife now- with deer, raccoons, foxes, birds, and groundhogs sharing our yard with us. What kind of wildlife can I expect by the Chattahoochee?

Do you use the Chattahoochee for recreation use by your house?

I'm more concerned about water levels of the river. Just dont want it to come up over and flood our house.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
We're used to wildlife now- with deer, raccoons, foxes, birds, and groundhogs sharing our yard with us. What kind of wildlife can I expect by the Chattahoochee?

Do you use the Chattahoochee for recreation use by your house?

I'm more concerned about water levels of the river. Just dont want it to come up over and flood our house.

We have all of the wildlife that you mentioned--except for groundhogs, which I have not seen around here. The coyotes are currently using our yard as a pass-through. And, I am not too fond of snakes. . .which my 2.5 year-old almost ran up on a copperhead in his play area. There are a lot of snakes but most have been harmless. The deer have put a hurting on most peoples gardens but they are oh-so-beautiful frolicking in their groups. My favorite part are the birds. Lots of hawks, blue jays, cardinals. . .and I saw a Black Vulture in my neighbors yard yesterday.

My SO and I have not used the Chattahoochee for recreational purposes but many people in our subdivision have direct access to the river. . .and I do believe that they use it. A few months ago I saw a large inflatable raft on the river.

I think you will be okay around the river. Most people with river access in my neighborhood have very deep properties (>1 acre) and their homes sit a good distance away from the river. Also, many of those homes sit on hills. Our property is situated near a stream that feeds into the Chattahoochee. . .we did not get flooded out. We had some seepage in our unfinished part of the basement but I think that had a lot to do with ground saturation due to our gutters. Also, our back/sideyard remains very saturated, which we believe is caused by a high water table. If I am correct, I believe that water table issues can occur regardless of location to a visible body of water like a river. I think our water table issue (underground spring?) has been more of a problem than the river for our neighbors. If you have an opportunity, you should definitely consider investigating the water table before making any plans because it seems to be more of a guaranteed issue than the once-in-every-ten years storm that came through last year.

I understand your concern. . .and wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:36 PM

omg, snakes. only time i have seen them are at the zoo. arghh. i wonder if theres a way to "animal" proof the yard to keep away some of these smaller unwanted creatures.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 AM

8,687 posts, read 11,901,365 times
Quote:
And, I am not too fond of snakes...which my 2.5 year-old almost ran up on a copperhead in his play area. There are a lot of snakes but most have been harmless.

This is why I am all about living in a Midtown high-rise...the perfect Atlanta location and neighborhood...!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
omg, snakes. only time i have seen them are at the zoo. arghh. i wonder if theres a way to "animal" proof the yard to keep away some of these smaller unwanted creatures.
Yeah, the snakes have been a hard one for me. Like you, we wanted to find a way to limit our exposure. There is something called a snake fence that is suppose to trap snakes if they try to maneuver through it. I am not sure but believe it can be installed around an already existing fence. But in order for it to be effective, it MUST be installed correctly and maintained.

We haven't purchased one, but plan to do so in the near future. Our son loves snakes!! We have found several small dead (non-poisonous) snakes in our driveway and he has been obsessed with them. . .constantly wanting to see and poke them with sticks .

In wildlife-rich areas like the Chattahoochee, I believe it will be somewhat difficult to completely animal proof your yard without removing most (if not all) of the vegetation. If you want to attract a certain type--like birds--you will have to be okay with the other animals on the food chain. I am amazed how many hawks I have seen picking off birds and other animals. Our lot has some amazing landscaping (previous owners went a little overboard). But WOW!! It attracts everything. Tons of insects (spiders galore, ewww), swarms of playful dragonflies, rodents, birds, things-I-don't-hav'a-name-for, etc.

Note: Kingsnakes--which are abundant in our area--can climb very well!! So, a snake fence may be useless against them. They are non-poisonous. . .and eat other snakes, including poisonous ones. My only advice for you here is to learn to love (or tolerate) them. . .or remove all trees and plants around your house and social areas. There are other smaller species that move under ground and you'll rarely see them. . .but they do come out ever so often.

A good website that has helped me "cope" is enature.com . I have learned how to control my panic attacks.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

This is why I am all about living in a Midtown high-rise...the perfect Atlanta location and neighborhood...!
Haha. There are days when I have had enough. Nothing worse than having snakes hanging out at your door steps. . .being in the shower and having something fall down on you from out of the skylight. . .or, having lizards hanging out in your house like it's their place!!

Gosh. . .the first few months were the worse!!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 AM

8,687 posts, read 11,901,365 times
Quote:
Haha. There are days when I have had enough. Nothing worse than having snakes hanging out at your door steps. . .being in the shower and having something fall down on you from out of the skylight. . .or, having lizards hanging out in your house like it's their place!!

Gosh. . .the first few months were the worse!!

In the shower and falling from the skylight...hell to the no!

I lived in South America for several years...a savanna area...no snake problems...but did not like the very small lizards that would show in my flat on occasion...they were just so...alive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta