U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:04 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,247,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Amen, afonega.
Thanks.I should have proof read my responses more.I apologize to all for all the mistakes.I get tired due to illness sometimes and my concentration on the details is lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,610,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well why would you use the name of drug addict that committed suicide and left his drug addicted wife with their infant child behind?All rap and hip hop is not the same.You know that.Yet you CHOOSE to a ignore that their is a difference between Common,Kanye West,Lil Brother,or Goodie Mob vs 50 cent,Eimenem,The Game,lil Wayne,etc.?Not to mention that white people listen to more rap than blacks by far.
Hip hop is not the only genre of black music.R&B is not rap.Jazz is not rap.So although it is black,for you or anyone else to suggest that it s all the same is just trying to propagate their own prejudices by bring up the worst at the end of the spectrum.

You keep talking about agenda.I know I am not the only one who finds this very strange.What is the black agenda?And why would anyone brag about communities that are only now becoming some what recognizable in a city that has roots that are stronger and deeper in the black community?I do agree that the city becoming more diverse is a good thing,however for someone coming from cities like London,Toronto,NYC,LA,San Fran.,etc;why would they come to look for the same in Atlanta?More than likely they will just EXPECT it.What they would not expect is being a major center of black and urban entertainment that appeals to all races.

Oh really?Perhaps we should end the sale of cigarettes?Stop collecting all that tax money?Oh an what about stirp clubs?Those liquor license sure do generate a lot of revenue.

Sounds to me that YOU find commonality in linking all things negative about the black community but truthfully I don't think you have an understanding of the fabric and history of why exactly Atlanta is looked upon as some center of black culture mores so than other groups lot of negativity toward the black community because as much we have problems we have shown the world (as well as people of African descent).By your thinking I could conclude that Atlanta(or Ameridca)is a place of extreme racism,hate and bigotry based on its history and current policies.I don't.
I know all rap is not the same, but the majority of it is garbage. Also, I listened to rap all through high school and college at parties. I know the difference, but it seems that whenever I heard Atlanta in a song, it was not in some pop-ish rihanna song, but from a "gangsta" rapper like T.I. or Ludacris.

Are you saying Atlanta being mentioned in this song by T.I. is good for the city?:

"All the fame that a nigg* can gain from atlanta
Now I'm just tryin to maintain for atlanta
Befo nigg*z would say in atlanta
I was rhode park, doug high stayed in atlanta
Now true enough I sold yay in atlanta"

You missed my point about jazz and r&b. I know they are not the same, but my point was that if people are going to highlight black culture in the city, then they should highlight the city's jazz and r&b, not its thuggish hiphop connections.

Although you never do it, a black agenda is pushed by some members. it may be hard to explain. Its noticeable when people talk about the culture of atlanta, but only mention the black cultural contributions. When they talk about musical entertainment, always rap (this is where i say they should push jazz or r&B), but never the city's jam band scene. With food, always Sweet Auburn Curb Market, never the Vietnamese bakery on Buford hwy. Its like they dont want to share space with anyone else. This thread is a great example. Just take a look at the previous posts. My orinignal one was the first one to mention unique cultural sites that dont fit into the black agenda.

If Atlanta is to be viewed as an equal to LA, NYC etc., people need to celebrate its multiculturalism, not the bi-culturalism of the city's past (just blacks and whites). Just focusing on one sub-group is unfair to the many types of people who now call the city home. If people want to celebrate specific minority cultures in the city, thats a great thing, but they shouldnt exclude the other large minority groups when talking about the general culture of the city.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:40 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,509,824 times
Lightbulb Reminder Cobain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumbert View Post
Hey all,

General Profiles:

Music: RnB - Hip Hop
Preferences: Clubs, Comedy Shows, Jazzy type lounges
But I thought that this is what the OP was looking for in his intial post? I think the posters guided him to that direction. Simple as that.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 01-11-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 03:43 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,428,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
This is what the OP was looking for and the posters guided him to that direction. Simple as that.
Human conversation ebbs and flows. That was true before computers, and it will probably continue to be true long after City-Data is gone. Deal with it.

I think many of the side-notes which are brought up in these threads are quite informative. Rather than a strict Q&A format, forums like these give us a chance to learn something about the city and the metro, and also about its history and the people who live in it.

Were it not for the meanderings, I suspect we'd see little more than school and subdivisions listings in response to questions. Oh, and "get a job first before moving here"...

Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,704,933 times
I think that I might have started a lot of this. I asked the OP why they choose Atlanta to visit as opposed to other cities like New York, San Francisco, LA or Chicago. Just an innocent question out of curiousity.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM

631 posts, read 1,074,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I know all rap is not the same, but the majority of it is garbage. Also, I listened to rap all through high school and college at parties. I know the difference, but it seems that whenever I heard Atlanta in a song, it was not in some pop-ish rihanna song, but from a "gangsta" rapper like T.I. or Ludacris.

Are you saying Atlanta being mentioned in this song by T.I. is good for the city?:

"All the fame that a nigg* can gain from atlanta
Now I'm just tryin to maintain for atlanta
Befo nigg*z would say in atlanta
I was rhode park, doug high stayed in atlanta
Now true enough I sold yay in atlanta"

You missed my point about jazz and r&b. I know they are not the same, but my point was that if people are going to highlight black culture in the city, then they should highlight the city's jazz and r&b, not its thuggish hiphop connections.

Although you never do it, a black agenda is pushed by some members. it may be hard to explain. Its noticeable when people talk about the culture of atlanta, but only mention the black cultural contributions. When they talk about musical entertainment, always rap (this is where i say they should push jazz or r&B), but never the city's jam band scene. With food, always Sweet Auburn Curb Market, never the Vietnamese bakery on Buford hwy. Its like they dont want to share space with anyone else. This thread is a great example. Just take a look at the previous posts. My orinignal one was the first one to mention unique cultural sites that dont fit into the black agenda.

If Atlanta is to be viewed as an equal to LA, NYC etc., people need to celebrate its multiculturalism, not the bi-culturalism of the city's past (just blacks and whites). Just focusing on one sub-group is unfair to the many types of people who now call the city home. If people want to celebrate specific minority cultures in the city, thats a great thing, but they shouldnt exclude the other large minority groups when talking about the general culture of the city.

DIdnt the poster say He was looking for Hip Hop its evident that Hip Hop is more popular than the R&B... If you go back and read the OPs post you can basically see he is more geared towards Hip Hop and then he wants to do the rest. everyone is giving him advice and letting him know How hot Atlanta is for hip hop in our clubs..... Just like NAshville is mostly known for Country you never here them saying NAshville is top Hip Hop Jazz city R&b city etc they promote mostly Country music. Thats not to say the others dont exist and that they dont embrace other music forms.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 PM

927 posts, read 1,907,099 times
Here BBC goes, if you do not recall, the OP listed HIS/HER preferences as hip hop, R&B and Jazz venues, therefore the recommendations were given to him/her as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
some people on this thread act as if no other culture exists in atlanta besides the one they prefer. atlanta, just like every other major american city, has a black subculture - and although it is tough for some to acknowledge - it is only a subculture that now shares space with many others in the area.
to the op, go to buford hwy to taste the evidence of atlanta's large and fast-growing hispanic, korean, and vietnamese populations. go out in virginia highland and buckhead for some great american bar scenes. see a concert at masquerade or variety playhouse to take in the 'heady' side of atlanta. eat at everybodys pizza in druid hills. check out the cyclorama for a unique historical perpective of the battle of atlanta.
some people would prefer black culture to be the exclusive culture of atlanta and dont like the idea of it having to share cultural space with other prominent subgroups. as a result, they simply ignore the other groups that also make atlanta unique and add to the citys culture. sticking solely to their one-sided and exclusive reccomendations will rob you of a unique and diverse experience.
lastly, atlanta is known for many things abroad. if someone is only looking for one type of association with the city, thats probably all they will choose to hear.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:14 PM

927 posts, read 1,907,099 times
Brumbert, I wish BBC's post could be looked at that benignly. That poster has a history of finding any opportunity to swipe at Atlanta's black culture with prejudiced remarks. BBC has already gotten this thread off its
tracks.

OMG, to whomever suggested Apache. That is the original; don't know how I forgot it. Apache is the bees knees, and I highly suggest you go. Spoken word, underground hip hop, r&B, jazz, and blues can all be heard in this joint. And they've got some pretty bangin food as well. It's downtown behind the Varsity but its really close to midtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumbert View Post
I'm taking all this in (copying and pasting) lol

RudeBoy21: I don't doubt alot of tourists visit, however I guess it's just something a little different for me and my cuz.

I do agree 'BringBackCobain' that most will generally lean to the side they want to see etc. We're quite open and diverse in tastes so fingers crossed we will experience as much as we can in the time we have (regardless of sub-culture) etc

Quick Q. A friend visited last year and Stayed in Buckhead. How is this as a location for clubs? I think he stayed at the Holiday Inn Express or something. Might look to see what other hotels are near if the location is that good.

So now its between Buckhead and Mid-Town...

Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,247,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I think that I might have started a lot of this. I asked the OP why they choose Atlanta to visit as opposed to other cities like New York, San Francisco, LA or Chicago. Just an innocent question out of curiousity.
Not your fault.Innocent question.And a fair one.Its just that in these threads their are regular "haters" who just love to do their dark magic.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,653,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Like match to gasoline. Its not your fault. He or she has probably decided to visit some place on the other side of the country in order to avoid any chance he might run into these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta