Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 11:10 AM

203 posts, read 271,460 times

Advertisements

We're just starting to look at possibly relocating to the Atlanta suburbs. We have a house in NJ (1 hr from NYC) and have lived here our whole lives (I'm 47, DS is 50). Two young children (5 1/2 and almost 7).

The reason I ask this question is that I do p/t volunteer work for an animal rescue and I see so many dogs coming from the south up north for rescue. I don't mean to offend anyone but it seems like the impression is that people don't spay/neuter their pets, leave them tied out and basically neglect them. I have always had a dog and have one now. I view it as a responsibility and don't take it lightly. I only have one and not 15 dogs so I'm not over the top with this but I believe in very humane treatment of pets if you're going to have one.

I just remember when I was young, there was a neighbor who was so cruel to his dog and left it out in the freezing cold tied to a doghouse and there was nothing the cops could do. Even with a a short coat, shivering in the cold, that dog wouldn't go in the house and the cops couldn't do anything because he was provided shelter. I think laws have changed and I now see people overindulging their pets but was wondering what the Atlanta suburbs were really like. Of course there are still people in NJ who leave their pets to wander around (possibly getting hit by a car) but their basic needs are met.

We're looking in the Roswell, Alpharetta areas in the $450-$500K neighborhoods. Any answers about this particular question along with any other tips for schools, etc. would be appreciated. I know this is a weird question but it would concern me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
I'd say it's like any other area- there will be people who take care of their animals, and some who don't, with the majority of folks falling into the first category. The areas you're talking about are well-developed areas- not places you're likely to find dogs in the type of conditions you're referring too. If you're seeing animals coming up from the south, I'd bet the majority of them are coming from the more rural areas- not the Atlanta suburbs.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
We're just starting to look at possibly relocating to the Atlanta suburbs. We have a house in NJ (1 hr from NYC) and have lived here our whole lives (I'm 47, DS is 50). Two young children (5 1/2 and almost 7).

The reason I ask this question is that I do p/t volunteer work for an animal rescue and I see so many dogs coming from the south up north for rescue. I don't mean to offend anyone but it seems like the impression is that people don't spay/neuter their pets, leave them tied out and basically neglect them. I have always had a dog and have one now. I view it as a responsibility and don't take it lightly. I only have one and not 15 dogs so I'm not over the top with this but I believe in very humane treatment of pets if you're going to have one.

We're looking in the Roswell, Alpharetta areas in the $450-$500K neighborhoods. Any answers about this particular question along with any other tips for schools, etc. would be appreciated. I know this is a weird question but it would concern me. Thanks.
The Roswell/Alpharetta area is a good place to live. Many professionals, concerned about the quality of life for people and pets.
Public Schools Roswell/Alpharetta - any good?

There is considerable effort being made in Atlanta to expand animal rescue.

The Atlanta Humane Society is currently undergoing renovations and many dedicated volunteers work unceasingly to fund the center and see that animals are treated humanely.

http://www.atlantahumane.org/

Now, in some areas of the state---we are still having incidents of dog fighting. There are laws and as the need arises these laws are enforced. The economic downturn has had an adverse affect on pet ownership which may explain somewhat why dogs were shipped from the south to your area. I imagine this is something of a national crisis?

From Google--'Dog Rescue/GA'>>>
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...rescue+gerogia

Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 AM

109 posts, read 392,467 times
Remember much of the south, has a much higher rate of poverty, particularly in the rural areas. In metro Atlanta you do not find animals roaming around any more than you would in NJ. You have no need to worry!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 208happystreet View Post
Remember much of the south, has a much higher rate of poverty, particularly in the rural areas. In metro Atlanta you do not find animals roaming around any more than you would in NJ. You have no need to worry!
Actually, there is a higher incidence of animal problems in the poorer inner city areas as well as the rural areas, I believe. So there's lots of work for animal rescuers down here, unfortunately, but there are some good groups, too. Here's one that does a lot of that transporting of pets up north: Southern Hope Humane Society | Atlanta, Georgia Animal Shelter | Dogs and Cats for Adoption

However, in the Roswell and Alpharetta areas, I think you'll find treatment of companion animals much the same as it is in areas with similar demographics up north. I doubt you'd be uncomfortable with how the neighbors are treating their pets, truly. There's a dog park in Roswell, and I think probably Alpharetta too. There's at least one dog hiking group. It's not the dark ages of dog care in the suburbs here.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
I lived in the Alpharetta area for 13 years, owned a dog, and had plenty of neighbors who owned dogs. I never saw abuse or neglect like what you are describing. The worst problem we had was owners who would not clean up after their dogs. The only loose dogs I came across were those whose owners were actively looking for them. I took a few in for the afternoon so I could contact the owner and get them reunited.

Recently Fulton County (which encompasses Roswell and Alpharetta) passed an anti-tethering law that makes it illegal to tether a dog for any length of time without the owner present. I haven't heard anything about enforcement.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
I used to live in SW Atlanta, near West End. I'd regularly see stray dogs, and even packs of strays running loose.

I've never seen that anywhere else.

In my neighborhod in Tucker I have one idiot neighbor whose dog constantly gets loose. He makes zero effort to retrieve them. Fortunately, they are friendly dogs and don't cause any real harm.

Sometimes people will leave dogs chained up to fences at animal shelters or doggie daycare places.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 AM

203 posts, read 271,460 times
Smile Thanks everyone - your responses made me feel not so weird after all

I have lots of other questions about Atlanta that I'll post in the coming weeks as I'm trying to get a feel for the place. Thanks for at least setting this fear to rest. Atlanta suburbs look like a great place to raise kids...and a dog too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta