Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:02 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Stone Mountain is not ghetto!!!!!!!!!!!!. In High School when my school played teams from that area like Redan and Stephenson we used to make fun of the kids from out there because they used to always try and act tough and hard, but when it all boils down to it they are suburb kids. Not to mention that they all "claimed" Zone 6 East Atlanta, when Stone Mountain isn't in a zone and East Atlanta is a good 10 minutes west. Basically Stone Mountain suffers from an identity complex, and the teens and young adults out there try and do ghetto things even though Stone Mountain is not a ghetto.
Oh yes, I do remember the fake thugs with their polo sweaters and 4.0 GPA callin' Stone Mountain "The ROC" Lolz..soooo not hood

Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM

416 posts, read 1,089,567 times
Isnt the Mainstreet community decent? Nice homes, and an HOA, with pools and tennis courts and a park/trail and other amenities.
It is near Hairston and Redan, which one of the posters listed as 'one of the worst areas'
???!?

Last edited by nb1968; 08-26-2009 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Stone Mountain is not ghetto!!!!!!!!!!!!. In High School when my school played teams from that area like Redan and Stephenson we used to make fun of the kids from out there because they used to always try and act tough and hard, but when it all boils down to it they are suburb kids. Not to mention that they all "claimed" Zone 6 East Atlanta, when Stone Mountain isn't in a zone and East Atlanta is a good 10 minutes west. Basically Stone Mountain suffers from an identity complex, and the teens and young adults out there try and do ghetto things even though Stone Mountain is not a ghetto.
Yeah... Gucci Mane's recent popularity has caused legions of suburban kids on the (far reaching) east side to claim Zone 6. The logic is Bouldercrest Rd. goes all the way through South Dekalb into like Henry county. There's an East Atlanta Rd in like Rex, Ga. So kids way out in Rex, Ellenwood, and portions of Lithonia near the Henry county line pick up on certain referrences and act like Gucci lives next door to them.

The sad thing is that many kids try to be gangsta by association. I read a bio from a student recently that said, "I'm from Decatur aka Zone 6". Kids will say that they're from the westside... Zone 3 and act like they grew up with T.I. or something... but really be 16 yrs old clinging to the 2 years they lived on bankhead before kindergarden...

Another great example of why we need better role models... many suburban kids WISH they lived in the ghetto, because they don't know the realities of the REAL ghetto and it makes them feel like they have a sense of self. An identity. The media that influences them doesn't provide a whole lot of options... Who was the last Atlanta rapper to speak highly of the burbs, even if they are from the burbs and have superior lyrical skill...

Old 08-27-2009, 03:37 AM

I've heard kids claim that River Rd. is East Atlanta/Zone 6. But, its not just an eastside thing. Ever since T.I. and some others popularized the casual use of "zones" earlier in the decade, I've heard kids from College Park claim Zone 3 and kids in Douglasville claim Zone 1.

After all, Jeezy is from Macon and didn't move to Atlanta until he was 20 or 21 (to do promotions for Cash Money records - not to push weight from state to state). But, if you let him tell it, one would think that he was born and raised in Bedford Pine.

Unfortunately, MANY of these rapper are being paid to lie to the people... (I would get into the reasons why, but that is a whole other topic...)

Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I've heard kids claim that River Rd. is East Atlanta/Zone 6. But, its not just an eastside thing. Ever since T.I. and some others popularized the casual use of "zones" earlier in the decade, I've heard kids from College Park claim Zone 3 and kids in Douglasville claim Zone 1.

After all, Jeezy is from Macon and didn't move to Atlanta until he was 20 or 21 (to do promotions for Cash Money records - not to push weight from state to state). But, if you let him tell it, one would think that he was born and raised in Bedford Pine.

Unfortunately, MANY of these rapper are being paid to lie to the people... (I would get into the reasons why, but that is a whole other topic...)
I think Jeezy is actually from Hawkinsville. A friend of mine that was born and raised in Milledgeville said that she remembered Jeezy trying to do music in the Macon area, but he was much different back then according to her. That is probably why he never really gives a straight answer when he is asked what part of Atlanta he is from.

As someone who witnessed suburban kids trying to be hard both back home in California and here in Georgia, what tends to happen is that as they get older they may learn to appreciate the fact that they DIDN'T grow up in an overly-rough area. This also applies to kids in the country as well. For some weird reason, teenagers and some young adults don't think it is cool to live in the 'burbs or to have a basic lifestyle. As a adult, I am glad to live in the 'burbs and have a drama-free existence.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
Isnt the Mainstreet community decent? Nice homes, and an HOA, with pools and tennis courts and a park/trail and other amenities.
It is near Hairston and Redan, which one of the posters listed as 'one of the worst areas'
???!?
Mainstreet overall looks clean, but i know alot of people who have had there homes broken into, so its hit or miss in there. All you can do is get a alarm system. It is right in front of Redan High school and extends to Hairston also, so its a very big neighborhood. The houses look 20+ yrs old but it look like most folks actually upkeep there house in there.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 AM

815 posts, read 2,135,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post

I dont know if claiming zones became popular in the early 2000's, as long as I can remember people were claiming zones, granted Im only 25. And lol @ people in Douglasville claiming zones, we always said around my way that if you call the police and if APD (atlanta police) does not come to your door then you do not live in a zone, or we used the phrase " If you aint from a zone, then you aint from my home". And when I was younger I used to run across lots of people from Mabelton, Smyrna, and Douglasville who would claim Zone 1 or Zone 4. Some of my friends would try and fight them over it saying they were false claiming or making us look bad, but while I must admit that I was one of those young dudes running around with a Zone 4 SWATS stitched in my fitted hat, even back then I wouldnt get into a fight over it. I was like I dont own diddly squat over here, so why would I risk life and limb over it?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I think Jeezy is actually from Hawkinsville. A friend of mine that was born and raised in Milledgeville said that she remembered Jeezy trying to do music in the Macon area, but he was much different back then according to her. That is probably why he never really gives a straight answer when he is asked what part of Atlanta he is from.

For some weird reason, teenagers and some young adults don't think it is cool to live in the 'burbs or to have a basic lifestyle. As a adult, I am glad to live in the 'burbs and have a drama-free existence.
Interesting. One could also wonder why T.I. barely ever mentions when he lived in Riverdale during his high school years.

YouTube - SHAWTY LO RESPONDS TO T.I.'S HIGHSCHOOL PICTURE!!
(Disclaimer: Please excuse Shawty Lo's ignorance along with his "shuckin' and jivin'". Although T.I. is a far better rapper than Shawty Lo, the point is to illustrate his Riverdale High yearbook photo, etc.)

Old 08-29-2009, 02:19 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,514 times
^What on earth was that???

I have never heard of 'zones' in Atlanta. What are the decided by? Are they like school districts? hehe

I don't really understand why someone would lie about where they're from either. I mean, I especially wouldn't lie about being from a rougher community.

Interesting note, I have the same rims on my Volvo as Shawty Lo.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 PM

4 posts, read 23,659 times
Originally Posted by JPD
Any time someone tries to tell you an entire county is a ghetto, just ignore them.

I just think when people use the term "ghetto" it is based on personal preference, past experiences and expectations.

Respectfully speaking based on my personal experiences * Atlanta is ghetto *. But I am learning to look at the good sides and the pros. So if anyone here is looking to move from Northern Virginia to Atlanta ( consider Buckhead and Sandy Springs ). More classier and less crime. But they have bugs .. I never saw a bug in Virginia. They have big bugs in the south regardless if you keep your place clean. Keep a can of raid on hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta