Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:45 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
Not to change subjects but makes no difference to me what sexuality one chooses to participate in. The major issue we have here in Atlanta is unemployment. The state currently has a 10.2% unemployment rate while the Atlanta proper area (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, and Rockdale counties) stands at 10.5% (give or take). Why revel in being the number one gayest city and yet still have so many jobless people (which by the way includes the gay population).

I sit and watch the news daily and see people getting off Greyhound buses and trains. These people still think that Atlanta is still the "black" Mecca of yesteryear yet they come off these buses unemployed and stay unemployed. I see people in the business center at my apartment complex frantically searching for jobs and yet all a magazine or news article can do is find the time to print which city is the gayest? Please! Take a look a Willie Watkins Funeral home website. Last year 2009 he had over 700 funerals and this month alone (January) he has over 28 bodies. Half of which are due to violent crimes that have taken place. But you see, newspapers dont want to report about that. Atlanta has some major issues that needs to be rectified and being the top gayest city is NOT or rather SHOULD NOT be on the list to discuss.

If Atlanta wants to revel in being the number 1 gayest city, lets also be the number one place to have the most gainfully employed. Then and only then can I see us discussing how wonderful of a "gay-mecca" Atlanta could be.

Remember, regardless of what sexual preference you prefer, your first HUMAN.
If you would like to start a series of threads on these issues, please do so...they are entirely worthy of discussion. But please don't use them to step on the intent of this one, which I and many others on here find an interesting topic to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Not to change subjects but makes no difference to me what sexuality one chooses to participate in. The major issue we have here in Atlanta is unemployment. The state currently has a 10.2% unemployment rate while the Atlanta proper area (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, and Rockdale counties) stands at 10.5% (give or take). Why revel in being the number one gayest city and yet still have so many jobless people (which by the way includes the gay population).

I sit and watch the news daily and see people getting off Greyhound buses and trains. These people still think that Atlanta is still the "black" Mecca of yesteryear yet they come off these buses unemployed and stay unemployed. I see people in the business center at my apartment complex frantically searching for jobs and yet all a magazine or news article can do is find the time to print which city is the gayest? Please! Take a look a Willie Watkins Funeral home website. Last year 2009 he had over 700 funerals and this month alone (January) he has over 28 bodies. Half of which are due to violent crimes that have taken place. But you see, newspapers dont want to report about that. Atlanta has some major issues that needs to be rectified and being the top gayest city is NOT or rather SHOULD NOT be on the list to discuss.

If Atlanta wants to revel in being the number 1 gayest city, lets also be the number one place to have the most gainfully employed. Then and only then can I see us discussing how wonderful of a "gay-mecca" Atlanta could be.

Okay let's be calm and cool. You sound like one of those uptight folks on the Washington Post comment section. So the AJC decided to do a light article? Big deal. No one is saying that unemployment and the violence that plagues the streets aren't important. Why rain on parades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
I do have to say though, statements like this (apparently from the Advocate article) make me wonder if anyone from the magazine has actually spent any time on the ground in Atlanta.

"And who doesn’t love the sweet lilt of a Georgia accent on a knockout guy or gal?"

"Lilting accents"? Atlanta hardly has any!
Yeah very few people from Atlanta have actual accents. But you know its funny I"m from Columbus, GA now in the DC area, and people always ask me "Where;'s your accent?"

But yeah Atlanta is super gay. Everytime I come home I have to take a side trip to the ATL, I mean its just such a fun gay place to party. To me the gayest intersection in the world is the corner of Piedmont and 10th in Midtown.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Here is a list of the top 10 US metropolitan areas with the highest GLB population in terms of numbers of total gay, lesbian and bisexual residents:

LGBT Market - Markets

1. New York City - Northern New Jersey - Long Island, NY
2. Los Angeles – Long Beach, CA – Santa Ana, CA
3. Chicago–Naperville–J oliet, IL
4. San Francisco - Oakland - Fremont, CA
5. Boston - Cambridge, MA - Quincy, MA
6. Washington, DC
7. Dallas - Fort Worth - Arlington, TX
8. Miami - Miami Beach - Fort Lauderdale
9. Atlanta - Marietta, GA - Sandy Springs, GA
10. Philadelphia - Camden, NJ - Wilmington, DE

Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Here is a list of the top 10 US metropolitan areas with the highest GLB population in terms of numbers of total gay, lesbian and bisexual residents:

LGBT Market - Markets

1. New York City - Northern New Jersey - Long Island, NY
2. Los Angeles – Long Beach, CA – Santa Ana, CA
3. Chicago–Naperville–J oliet, IL
4. San Francisco - Oakland - Fremont, CA
5. Boston - Cambridge, MA - Quincy, MA
6. Washington, DC
7. Dallas - Fort Worth - Arlington, TX
8. Miami - Miami Beach - Fort Lauderdale
9. Atlanta - Marietta, GA - Sandy Springs, GA
10. Philadelphia - Camden, NJ - Wilmington, DE
Makes sense Tony....basically a list of the largest metro's in order of population, with a couple of exceptions.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Yeah but I think the article was looking at other factors not just population. With that said DC is number 6 WOOOO!! In your face Atlanta!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Yeah but I think the article was looking at other factors not just population. With that said DC is number 6 WOOOO!! In your face Atlanta!
DC does have a huge population of gays...what's interesting to me is how 'suburbanized' the gay community is there...they seem to be well represented everywhere in DC.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:50 AM

123 posts, read 380,411 times
YES its extremely gay. i especially love going to lenox and people watch, very interesting. I know D.C. has like an aids plague going on...

Old 01-20-2010, 08:53 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
One thing to remember too, is how "gay" many, if not most, inner Atlanta suburbs are: Northlake, North Druid Hills, North Decatur, Decatur, Avondale Estates, Belvedere/Midway Woods, East Point, College Park, Chamblee, Doraville.

Another ring of suburbs also have large, growing gay populations--these areas are becoming very popular and on the radar: Tucker, Stone Mountain, Clarkston, Gresham Park, Pine Lake (already a large lesbian population).

And...one can really find many gays throughout metro Atlanta, especially in single/young professional-oriented suburban areas: Vinings/Smyrna/Cumberland, Perimeter/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, parts of Roswell/Alpharetta, Norcross/Peachtree Corners/Duluth/Gwinnett Place.
I've noticed that over the past 5 years or so, they gays seem to be infiltrating the OTP, hehe. My partner and I moved to Gwinnett for sheer convenience, and also a much different house than our money could get ITP. However, I know several couples that live in Smyrna, Vinings, College Park, East Point, Dunwoody, Tucker, Norcross, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Lawrenceville....they're everywhere! Even here in my little nighborhood in Five Forks, there is us, and a lesbian couple. Also, there are two older men who live together, but are 'roommates' hehe.

This really doesn't surprise me that Atlanta is the gayest city. I know tons of guys, and girls, that move here because of the openness and acceptance of most people here. It's really refreshing. Viva Atlanta!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I've noticed that over the past 5 years or so, they gays seem to be infiltrating the OTP, hehe. My partner and I moved to Gwinnett for sheer convenience, and also a much different house than our money could get ITP. However, I know several couples that live in Smyrna, Vinings, College Park, East Point, Dunwoody, Tucker, Norcross, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Lawrenceville....they're everywhere! Even here in my little nighborhood in Five Forks, there is us, and a lesbian couple. Also, there are two older men who live together, but are 'roommates' hehe.

This really doesn't surprise me that Atlanta is the gayest city. I know tons of guys, and girls, that move here because of the openness and acceptance of most people here. It's really refreshing. Viva Atlanta!

Yep...

And many people don't realize how big the gay population is in two key areas: East Point and Northlake

Old 01-20-2010, 09:30 AM

631 posts, read 1,228,044 times
Quote:

Those issues have been all over the news and papers . There are jobs out there its just that people dont want to settle for anything a take a job that doesnt pay them what they were making befoe . Some income is better than none and some people need to realize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta