Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 04:11 PM

164 posts, read 523,295 times

Advertisements

Ok, we are visiting Atlanta next week and its surrounding areas to find a nice place to relocate to from Miami FL. I have narrowed it down to Gwinnett but I'm wonderng which area offers more. We're interested in a nice area that has shopping, dining, nice places to take a stroll and maybe people watch. I keep hearing about certain Mainstreet areas, can someone recommend a city or community they like. We're in our 30's and basiclly enjoy outdoor, dining and movies.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 04:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Arrow from previous threads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox011 View Post
Ok, we are visiting Atlanta next week and its surrounding areas to find a nice place to relocate to from Miami FL. I have narrowed it down to Gwinnett but I'm wonderng which area offers more. We're interested in a nice area that has shopping, dining, nice places to take a stroll and maybe people watch. I keep hearing about certain Mainstreet areas, can someone recommend a city or community they like. We're in our 30's and basiclly enjoy outdoor, dining and movies.

Thanks
I know they are revitalizing the town square in Lawrenceville, and if IIRC, someone said similar improvements have been made in Duluth--shops, restaurants and etc...

Places to shop--malls, strip malls and Walmart are plentiful in every part of Atlanta. Plenty of restaurants and a few places with outdoor dining but not many places to stroll about and people watch.

Way too much asphalt and too many cars.
~~~

Lawrenceville>>>
http://www.visitlawrenceville.com/
Lawrenceville/Discover Mills>>>
http://tinyurl.com/2up4w5 (broken link)

Click 'Search' at the top of the page and insert relevant keywords --ie >Lawrenceville>

Duluth
http://tinyurl.com/2mdskd (broken link)

good luck

sls

Old 05-24-2007, 05:50 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
The best part of Gwinnett is Sugarloaf CC area. There is Discover mall on right side of I-85/Old Peachtree Road. There is Gwinnett arena and its wealthy neighborhood on the left.

There are a lot of nice neighborhoods on Peachtree industrial from Duluth all the way to Suwanee and then Sugar Hill.

There is neighborhood called Hamiliton Mill. That's Hamiliton Mill Road/I-85 on the right side. Mall of Georgia is very closeby.

West Norcross is Peachtree Parkway north of Holocomb Bridge.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:49 PM

196 posts, read 732,349 times
Grayson is the up and coming place. Still developing, lots of rural still around but it is close to everything. Mall of Georgia, Discover Mills, Gwinnett Place, and Stonecrest plus a lot of strip malls like The Avenue. Not far from Stone Mountain where you can enjoy the park and also catch MARTA for a downtown trip. Been here about one year and love it!

Old 06-14-2007, 01:48 PM

273 posts, read 1,755,262 times
Agreed, not too many places to stroll. But Suwanee has a town green/park with coffee shops and restaurants, and they sometimes have concerts out there. Plenty of shopping nearby, your choice of three malls, concert arena, IMAX theatre within 15 min drive. For outdoor activities, you can go to one of the numerous parks, or go to Lake Lanier.

Suwanee is a nice, safe area with a good mix of affordable housing and high-end housing. Good for families, good tax base to support the schools.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:19 PM

138 posts, read 623,115 times
Suwanee, Buford, Dacula, etc. are all good for you guys. Depends on your price range, but I agree, Hamilton Mill is a great community.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 30,820 times
Lots of areas.....

like everyone says, depends on what your price range is.

hamilton mill is upper $200's for a smaller home....well into the $700's+ for a large home. i-85 traffic in that area can be a nightmare at times (especially Friday afternoons)...again, depends on your job location and hours of commute.

Duluth is as far south in Gwinnett as I would feel safe (for the most part). Suwanee, Sugar Hill and Buford have alot of areas, and close to I-85 and peachtree industrial blvd.

Eastern Gwinnett, like grayson, l'ville, loganville, etc., have some major traffic issues b/c roads haven't expanded quick enough. Though some areas have great prices.

Lots of options for y'all.

I moved here from San Diego in 2002...moved into the hamilton mill area. As traffic got worse, we moved into the suwanee area.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta