Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:15 AM

59 posts, read 359,997 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about Briarcliff Mews apartments. Its on Briarcliff Rd at St. Louis I believe. Is it a safe neighborhood? Is it a nice apartment building? How will the commute be to spaghetti junction?

Any info will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
Great area (I'm not familiar with that exact complex but the area in general). Close to lots of shopping and entertainment, very safe. One of the few places in Atlanta that is somewhat walkable (if you can get across Briarcliff), although there is no rail access. I'd say you are looking at 25 minutes to work, maybe 35 back.

The only problem here is a lot of the apartment buildings are getting torn down to build new ones so your residence might not be there long.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
That's close to the intersection of Briarcliff and Ponce de Leon. Probably not an easy commute to Spaghetti Junction. That's all I know about it. It's not a bad area at all, but it's on a busy road.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Exclamation I think you would sit in traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's close to the intersection of Briarcliff and Ponce de Leon. Probably not an easy commute to Spaghetti Junction. That's all I know about it. It's not a bad area at all, but it's on a busy road.
on Briarcliff Rd--AM and PM--probably the most direct route--45 minutes to an hour would be my estimate. 10-15 miles of stop and go, school zones and unexpected delays...

It might actually be better to get on I85 N at Clairmont and take your chances.

I really 'Hate' how things are on Briarcliff Rd --any and all parts, most of the time now. <shrug> TPTB are aware of the 'Problem'--say it will only 'get worse'.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:43 PM
JPD

For the most part the commute is going the opposite direction from the bulk of the traffic, so that's a big plus. I don't know how long it'd take durung rush hour, but with no traffic I think it'd take 20 minutes at an absolute minimum (assuming you get ALL green lights). Probably 40 minutes is more realistic. There are zillions of traffic lights between Va-Hi and Spaghetti Junction.

I think your first opportunity to get on 85 would be to go left on N. Druid Hills (from Briarcliff) and jump on the highway. You might not want to deal with the highway, though, since a lot of people coming from all directions use Spaghetti Junction to get on 285 North to the Perimeter/Northside Hospital area.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:50 PM

The drive really wouldn't be that bad. The worst thing about it is Briarcliff is used to handle a lot of the traffic into Emory, so it can get crowded in spots. Another problem is in the Dekalb County is planning on upgrading several intersections along the stretch in the next few years so traffic could get worse. N. Druid Hills would be a bad place to get on the highway. A better (and easy place at that time of day) would be Clairmont. An easy shortcut onto the highway is to use Executive Park Drive (up to N. Druid Hills, to the highway) to cut out most travel on N. Druid Hills. The drive really doesn't have to be that bad, you just have to know the back roads to get around the traffic.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 PM

Exclamation Yes, Briarcliff can get crowded

It's almost impossible to know how the traffic will be moving --at any time of day...and it can be quite annoying after several miles of 'not going anywhere'...

I would take my chances on I 85 N., either at N. Druid Hills or Clairmont.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:15 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
N. Druid Hills would be a bad place to get on the highway.
One good thing about Dekalb is that there are lots of different ways to get from point a to point b, and the freeway (for me, at least) is almost never the most direct route. A smart commuter will try them all, assuming there's always another way to go that might be faster, safer, better road quality, more scenic, or whatever. It took me a long time to find the best way to get to work. I must've tried 15 different ways before I found my current route.

I still think there is little to no time savings going to Clairmont rather than N. Druid (particularly since you reminded me of the Executive Park shortcut).

Old 05-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Default What would the alternative routes be in this case?

Everything that I thought of was 'horrible'.

Unspeakable. Bordering on insanity.

ie--Ponce de Leon/Scott Blvd to Lawrenceville Hwy>>>I guess you would get on I285 W at Cliff Valley/N. DeKalb Mall and exit at Chamblee-Tucker??

sheer madness--both ways

or maybe try to cut through Emory--LOL--Houston Mill to LaVista--miserable--inches along...

Old 05-25-2007, 01:55 PM

I would do Clairmont over Druid Hills (especially on the way back) but Executive Park Drive works really, really well.

I wouldn't normally suggest another route then Briarcliff (such as Scott Blvd or something), just certain short cuts along the route to bypass the bottlenecks. Houston Mill to LaVista would actually move really well in this direction during rush hour. I would highly recommend exploring routes through there as well. But I would suggest exploring all possible routes back there to see what works best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta