U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 PM

9,110 posts, read 20,546,871 times
Folks, the thread is starting to take a more political tone. Let's re-read the first post by the OP and stick to answering their questions please. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 PM

9,913 posts, read 13,633,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Blushing and awarding you rep points ... evidently, I wasn't a history major.
I admit I Googled it just to make sure.

I think the OP will enjoy being down here just fine. I mean, there's hockey and everything even at the college level, though I'm not aware of a curling facility down here, and the football fields in the states are only 100 yards long. I like watching the CFL, and MN had curling clubs in the northern part of the state too...

Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,282,856 times
To François:

Don't the previous poster who said that "public transportation is only good in Downtown Atlanta". The city proper has a wonderful Metro (we call it MARTA here) with a complementing bus service.

Since you stated that you'll be working on Peachtree next to 400, I'm guessing your office will be in the Lenox/Buckhead Financial Center area. The closest train station is Buckhead Station Buckhead Station - Google Maps. Alternatively, there is Lenox station less than a mile away on a separate train line.

Since you'll be working along the Metro line, there are several options for where you can reside.

-North Buckhead. This neighborhood is mostly Upper middle class and Wealthy and lies just above the area you will most likely be working in. You will have the option of either walking to work or taking the bus.

The vibe of the neighborhood is decidedly laid back. Most of the people who live there are either working professionals or families. Crime is low and, in the 5 years I have lived there, have never been panhandled whilst walking the streets. There are many very nice highrise condominiums and townhouses in the area. If you are considering buying, and with your budget, you will have your pick of the lot given the current housing downturn.

-Midtown. This neighborhood would probably be the easiest transition for you coming from Montreal. Tons of restaurants, shops, and other activities all within walking distance. There neighborhood also has the fabulous Piedmont Park which is our version of New York's Central Park designed by the same family.

The neighborhood is only a short Metro ride to Buckhead, so you won't have to worry about commute times. Currently, I commute from Buckhead to Midtown to work and it only takes me 15 to 20 minutes tops.

Hoppe this helps and Bienvenue à Atlanta!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 AM

7,652 posts, read 9,342,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I fear the French might be insulted by your suggestion that they have a tradition of "monarchy and absolute" rule, by comparison with the US. Didn't they have their revolution first?
Might want to go back and recheck your history. The US Revolution started in 1775 and was over by 1781...the French one didn't start until 1789.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:57 PM

6 posts, read 4,805 times
Thanks, waronxmas for those suggestions. I was looking through the forum and also thought that Morningside, Decatur, Virginia Highland and Brookhaven might be good choices. Does anyone have anything to say about these neighbourhoods as it relates to our situation? It would be great to live in a neighbourhood where we could walk to the dairy, grocery, bookstore, etc. Safety is also important. People here often say there are a lot of guns/violence in the United States and that makes me a little nervous. I have never heard of anyone getting murdered, robbed or kidnapped in my area of Montreal so I hope crime is not bad in Atlanta.
CMMom, we will check Ecole du Samedi. We discovered that there is also an Alliance Française on Peachtree Street and they seem to have some very good programs too.
I appreciate all the views on any cultural differences. We do expect living in Atlanta to be quite different than living in Montreal. However, we're just not sure how different so understanding issues like the political environment, language, food is indeed helpful for us.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by François B. View Post
Thanks, waronxmas for those suggestions. I was looking through the forum and also thought that Morningside, Decatur, Virginia Highland and Brookhaven might be good choices. Does anyone have anything to say about these neighbourhoods as it relates to our situation? It would be great to live in a neighbourhood where we could walk to the dairy, grocery, bookstore, etc. Safety is also important. People here often say there are a lot of guns/violence in the United States and that makes me a little nervous. I have never heard of anyone getting murdered, robbed or kidnapped in my area of Montreal so I hope crime is not bad in Atlanta.
Not a problem. Of those areas you've been looking at Decatur and Virginia Highland would fit your criteria best. Brookhaven is trying to transition itself into a more walkable place, but it isn't there yet. It'll take quite a few more years. It is a very nice area though and much closer to the location where you will be working as it is the next neighborhood after North Buckhead.

Morningside is another great place that lacks that great pedestrian vibe, but it is located directly above Midtown so the amenities aren't far a way at all.

As far as safety goes, the opportunity for something dangerous to happen is higher in American cities. I wouldn't characterize any of the neighborhoods you are looking as "dangerous". You'll just have to mindful of your surroundings and use your ability to speak another language to your advantage. For instance, if you are pestered for change on the street just put out your hands open and palm up, shake your head, and start saying something in French. They'll leave you alone after that.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 AM

7,975 posts, read 6,744,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by François B. View Post
CMMom, we will check Ecole du Samedi. We discovered that there is also an Alliance Française on Peachtree Street and they seem to have some very good programs too.
I appreciate all the views on any cultural differences. We do expect living in Atlanta to be quite different than living in Montreal. However, we're just not sure how different so understanding issues like the political environment, language, food is indeed helpful for us.
I am in Montreal at least once a year.I have many friends there and can say I am pretty familiar with the differences.However I see you live in Longueuil.I've only visited to that area maybe once.Many of my friends either live downtown(Ville-Marie),Laval,Saint Laurent or Dorval areas.I suppose Westmount would be the Buckhead counterpart.I do think Brookhaven might be a suitable area if you like where you are currently residing in Montreal.Generally speaking,the closer you live to the cities core,the more liberal minded(or open minded)people tend to be.However the best value for housing,less crime,better education tends to be in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta