U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:10 AM

37 posts, read 118,718 times

Advertisements

Hi All- I should get used to saying "Hey All",
As a New Englander it's shocking to see so many homes proudly announcing "all electric". Honestly, with the cost of electricity in our area it's a scary proposition to buy all electric, yet when I read some of the responses in other threads it seems that gas is expensive.
Any knowledgeable folks willing to share their expertise on this?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 08:29 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,748,232 times
All-electric homes are prohibitively expensive in New England because the only way to provide heat in the winter is with resistance heaters. These consume HUGE amounts of electricity.

In the South, heating can be done using a heat pump, which basically consists of running your central AC system in reverse- it rejects heat into the home instead of out of the home. This can't be done in the NE because the outside temperatures get too low, and the heat pumps can't work properly. This makes it possible to heat a house for the same cost (or less, since the temperature deltas aren't as extreme as in the summer) as it does to cool it in the summer.

IMO, you're still better off with a gas source in the house, as hot water heating with gas is generally more cost effective, and depending on the rates and the temperatures, gas heat is usually less expensive too.

Bob

Old 05-26-2007, 11:24 AM
vst

21 posts, read 78,046 times
In GA it's better to have an ALL ELECTRIC HOME with heat pump than a gas home. Period.

Ask any idiot who has "gas" in their homes to tell you their gas/electric bill amount from this past winter and then ask someone with an electric home to tell you their electric bill amount - you will be amazed. Gas prices are going UP, not down. Don't listen to some nonsense about how it's cheaper to heat using gas. It may be cheaper if you lived in a fairy tale world where everything worked the way it should work, but you're living on planet Earth. Gas is expensive. Gas = Flushing money down the toilet. Gas is also dangerous.

A fool and his money will soon part if he has a gas and electric home in Southeastern US.

In My Opinion.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:30 PM

37 posts, read 118,718 times
I was led to a site that estimates month electricity costs, based on that site it would cost us between $121-134/mo for an all-electric, 2014sf house. Here in Ct, it's costing us $355/mo for light and oil heat. If this site is even close to accurate it's a considerable difference.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:38 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,776,028 times
Gee, I'm no expert, but I know I had electric in NM and it was so costly, I thought it was oil. But, I did use gas for a sublet at the end of the winter in PA, and I also thought it was exhorbitant. Probably was about the same square feet or perhaps more than you estimate, and a duplex; the bill for gas was around 165.00 for 5 weeks.

PS - It was your name that caught my attention: Marijka. My daughter's name is Marijke.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:29 AM

9,129 posts, read 21,695,956 times
Default All-electric NOT wise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
In GA it's better to have an ALL ELECTRIC HOME with heat pump than a gas home. Period.

Ask any idiot who has "gas" in their homes to tell you their gas/electric bill amount from this past winter and then ask someone with an electric home to tell you their electric bill amount - you will be amazed.
A fool and his money will soon part if he has a gas and electric home in Southeastern US.
Well, once you go through your first wind/tornado/tropical storm or ice storm that knocks out your "all electric" home for 3 days, I think some people may wish to reconsider the idiot naming of those who use gas as well.

Having a home that is 100% electric makes absolutely no sense when you live in an area that is prone to bad thunderstorms or even tornadoes in the Spring, as well as Tropical storms that travel inland from the coastal areas in the Summer/Fall. During these outages I have hot water and cooking (both gas) while my neighbors in their all-electric homes come over to my house to take showers or heat up food.

You can sign up for the "budget bill" plans with most gas companies in which they average out your bill and charge you the same amount all year so you don't have large spikes in the winter. I have a 2100+ square foot older home and I pay a flat $110 a month for gas, including the winter time (it's a gas-heated home, and I keep the thermostat on 67 degrees). I have a freestanding gas heater in one room and if the electricity goes out, I can fire it up and it heats 3/4 of the house, while everyone else around me pays $$ for poor quality firewood to use in their prefab fireplaces that just barely put out any heat.

All-electric can be ok if you are willing to spend around $3,500 to have an emergency generator installed that kicks in automatically in the event of an outage. You have to think of more than overall costs when regarding utilities in Georgia - you have to think ahead as to emergency or outage situations and having alternatives.

Signed - gassy idiot.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:55 AM

539 posts, read 1,434,508 times
Default On average, how many times do you lose your power?

AtlantaGregg has brought up a valid point I haven't really considered. Living in New England we lose our power a fair amount of the time due to ice storms, wind and thunderstorms. We have a wood stove with an insert so we always have heat and a cooking source. Granted, I'm sure we don't lose power as often as we will in GA. I hadn't really considered the loss of power and the affect it will have with all electric.

So, I ask the questions, on average about how often do most people lose power throughout the year? I'm mostly curious about Atlanta metro areas but would love to hear any input!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:06 AM

10,184 posts, read 18,776,028 times
Not Altanta, but I had electric baseboard heat in Taos, and a wood-burning fireplace as back-up. It was a smart move.

We don't get those storms, but we get wind, wind, wind, and frequent power failures in New Mexico.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:02 AM

562 posts, read 1,953,623 times
I have an all-electric home and I can count how many times we lost power last year on one hand.

The reason why all-electric is somewhat popular here in the metro area is because the gas prices have fluctuated wildly in recent years.

Take a look at this site: Georgia Public Service Commission It will tell you the average gas bill for each month between 2003 and 2007.

Now, in December, the average bill looks to be about $175. My light bill for December was about $150, and that included heating water, heating the house (2 story 3/2.5, about 1800 sq ft), and typical electricity usage. Based on what I saw on that site I listed above, and from the horror stories of my friends (and visiting their homes where they kept the heat on 67 in the dead of winter)...I can't see myself using just gas in my next home.

If it can be done, I'd want all electric with a gas backup.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:54 AM

642 posts, read 1,451,657 times
While I guess some electric is okay I can never see my wife making a long term move to a house that doesn't have a gas cooking range. It's the main thing she states that she doesn't like about where we currently rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta