Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,732 times

Advertisements

Hello all residents of the lovely state of Georgia!

As some may know me (if you ventured over to the Phoenix forums) I'm a guy looking to escape the harsh weather of Duluth for a better climate and a great place to be. Recently I've been thinking a lot about a few things that would bother me about the Phoenix area (though I do love it there):
  • Yards are very small
  • Everything is really spread out
  • With the spread-out-ness comes long commute times, and long driving times to hotspots and fun places. I'll be 21 by the time I'm done with college anyways, so I'll want things to do, places to see, etc.
  • It really seems that the job situation is baaad there

So you may be asking yourselves, "Why would this guy from one of the coldest spots in the nation think about Atlanta after thinking about Phoenix?" Aren't comparing Atlanta and Phoenix like comparing Apples and Oranges? Yeah, pretty much, but I thought of Atlanta (and the state of Georgia in general) because I remember driving through there a few years back. Absolutely beautiful state.

What I want out of a place to live:
1. A nice climate. I believe Georgia (the Atlanta area specifically) can offer that. Humid summers, sure, but I believe the rest of the year sounds nice. Compared to where I am now, for sure.
2. Lower crime. (Obviously. Does this need to be said? Of course I don't want to be killed, or have my car stolen, or have my property vandalized)
3. Good job availability.
4. Stuff to do.
5. Nice scenery.

So without further adieu, I will proceed to ask some questions that have probably been asked tons of times, so please forgive me:

1. Hows the scene for a 21 year old male out there in the Atlanta area? I'm talking about fun stuff to do, clubs, bars, sporting events, etc.
2. How's the job situation looking like? Let's compare it to the Phoenix job market. Also, is it better for those with a 4-year degree?
3. Are lower-crime areas within good commuting distance relatively affordable? Meaning will I have to trade being safe by downgrading to ramen?
4. I've heard a lot about PTC and how it's up and coming and can hold its own as far as a job market goes. How are things down there? Would it fit someone like me just coming out of college

Any input you all can give me would be very much appreciated. If you need any more info to make an assessment, PLEASE ask.

Thank you all so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:08 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

As some may know me (if you ventured over to the Phoenix forums) I'm a guy looking to escape the harsh weather of Duluth for a better climate and a great place to be. Recently I've been thinking a lot about a few things that would bother me about the Phoenix area (though I do love it there):
  • Yards are very small
  • With the spread-out-ness comes long commute times, and long driving times to hotspots and fun places. I'll be 21 by the time I'm done with college anyways, so I'll want things to do, places to see, etc.
So you may be asking yourselves, "Why would this guy from one of the coldest spots in the nation think about Atlanta after thinking about Phoenix?" Aren't comparing Atlanta and Phoenix like comparing Apples and Oranges? Yeah, pretty much, but I thought of Atlanta (and the state of Georgia in general) because I remember driving through there a few years back. Absolutely beautiful state.

What I want out of a place to live:
1. A nice climate. I believe Georgia (the Atlanta area specifically) can offer that. Humid summers, sure, but I believe the rest of the year sounds nice. Compared to where I am now, for sure.
2. Lower crime. (Obviously. Does this need to be said? Of course I don't want to be killed, or have my car stolen, or have my property vandalized)
3. Good job availability.
4. Stuff to do.
5. Nice scenery.

So without further adieu, I will proceed to ask some questions that have probably been asked tons of times, so please forgive me:

1. Hows the scene for a 21 year old male out there in the Atlanta area? I'm talking about fun stuff to do, clubs, bars, sporting events, etc.
2. How's the job situation looking like? Let's compare it to the Phoenix job market. Also, is it better for those with a 4-year degree?
3. Are lower-crime areas within good commuting distance relatively affordable? Meaning will I have to trade being safe by downgrading to ramen?
4. I've heard a lot about PTC and how it's up and coming and can hold its own as far as a job market goes. How are things down there? Would it fit someone like me just coming out of college

Any input you all can give me would be very much appreciated. If you need any more info to make an assessment, PLEASE ask.

Thank you all so much in advance!
I think that Atlanta is a great area. I've been here for about 4 years. We actually have a Duluth here, so I assume your speaking about MN. There are a lot of clubs, restaurants, and bars here. A great place for a young person. We have 4 major sports teams here and they are in town as opposed to being located in a remote suburb.

Crime is a little rough here, statistically. I am guessing that the Atlanta and Phoenix area are pretty similar in this respect.

The job market is pretty bad here, as it is with most of the rest of the country.

I have been to Phoenix many times and I think that you would like either area. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I think that Atlanta is a great area. I've been here for about 4 years. We actually have a Duluth here, so I assume your speaking about MN. There are a lot of clubs, restaurants, and bars here. A great place for a young person. We have 4 major sports teams here and they are in town as opposed to being located in a remote suburb.

Crime is a little rough here, statistically. I am guessing that the Atlanta and Phoenix area are pretty similar in this respect.

The job market is pretty bad here, as it is with most of the rest of the country.

I have been to Phoenix many times and I think that you would like either area. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I actually heard of Duluth, GA. I heard it was named after Duluth, MN. Haha.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Hullo!

Quote:
  • Yards are very small
With the exception of the first item (depending on the subdivision and on your definition of "small"), that checklist also applies to the Atlanta metro. The metro area is spread out in all directions, commutes can be lengthy (which is why most of us recommend you live close to your workplace), and the unemployment rate in both the Atlanta area and greater Georgia is still over 10%.

My wife grew up in Esko, BTW, and I'm from the Twin Cities, so we're quite familiar with Duluth. Beautiful town except for the potholes and the crappy economy, especially the boardwalk and the park up by Enger Tower.

You will find a nice climate here, though you'll see a few days in January each year where the temp drops into the teens at night. We had over a week this year where the temps weren't above freezing at all for a few days, resulting in snow actually sticking to the roads and creating a bit of a driving hazard (hills + ice + very few salt trucks = trouble).

The Atlanta metro is somewhat higher crime than the Twin Cities (as a point of comparison), but much of it is fine ... you can usually tell the "bad" spots from the good ones.

Jobs will be an issue, as they are everywhere. Of course, that will depend on what you want to do and (especially here) who you might know locally.

There's lots of stuff to do. :-)

Scenery is good. Nothing similar to the North Shore, sadly, though northern Georgia is the southwestern end of the Appalachian Mountains, and the hills up there are beautiful and not very far away. I think they're comparable to some of the hills up by Grand Portage along the lake, though of course there *is* no equivalent to Lake Superior in Georgia. But the ocean isn't all that far away, either. It's 262 miles from my doorstep to Savannah on the coast, and it's a straight freeway shot down. A very straight flat shot down.

You're going to love Atlanta women. Assuming that's your bag, anyway. All shapes, sizes, and colors. For a Minnetonka boy like me, it's WONDERFUL scenery in the summertime!

The job situation is bad here. Worse than the Twin Cities by a couple of percentage points (10% versus 8%). May depend on your line of work.

There are a lot of inexpensive areas in the Atlanta metro, and housing here is less expensive than the Twin Cities, but maybe not as inexpensive as Duluth.

Peach Tree City is a nice golf cart community from what I know, but it's so far to the south. A lot of the "happening" areas are in the northern half of the city and the metro area. It's a nice place, tho, and I've given to understand that many of the former SOC folks from Northwest Airlines are moving to Peachtree City. Not that it's all *that* close to the airport, but that would mean some other former MN folks in relatively close proximity.

Just some quick comments, anyway...

Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Hullo!

With the exception of the first item (depending on the subdivision and on your definition of "small"), that checklist also applies to the Atlanta metro. The metro area is spread out in all directions, commutes can be lengthy (which is why most of us recommend you live close to your workplace), and the unemployment rate in both the Atlanta area and greater Georgia is still over 10%.

My wife grew up in Esko, BTW, and I'm from the Twin Cities, so we're quite familiar with Duluth. Beautiful town except for the potholes and the crappy economy, especially the boardwalk and the park up by Enger Tower.

You will find a nice climate here, though you'll see a few days in January each year where the temp drops into the teens at night. We had over a week this year where the temps weren't above freezing at all for a few days, resulting in snow actually sticking to the roads and creating a bit of a driving hazard (hills + ice + very few salt trucks = trouble).

The Atlanta metro is somewhat higher crime than the Twin Cities (as a point of comparison), but much of it is fine ... you can usually tell the "bad" spots from the good ones.

Jobs will be an issue, as they are everywhere. Of course, that will depend on what you want to do and (especially here) who you might know locally.

There's lots of stuff to do. :-)

Scenery is good. Nothing similar to the North Shore, sadly, though northern Georgia is the southwestern end of the Appalachian Mountains, and the hills up there are beautiful and not very far away. I think they're comparable to some of the hills up by Grand Portage along the lake, though of course there *is* no equivalent to Lake Superior in Georgia. But the ocean isn't all that far away, either. It's 262 miles from my doorstep to Savannah on the coast, and it's a straight freeway shot down. A very straight flat shot down.

You're going to love Atlanta women. Assuming that's your bag, anyway. All shapes, sizes, and colors. For a Minnetonka boy like me, it's WONDERFUL scenery in the summertime!

The job situation is bad here. Worse than the Twin Cities by a couple of percentage points (10% versus 8%). May depend on your line of work.

There are a lot of inexpensive areas in the Atlanta metro, and housing here is less expensive than the Twin Cities, but maybe not as inexpensive as Duluth.

Peach Tree City is a nice golf cart community from what I know, but it's so far to the south. A lot of the "happening" areas are in the northern half of the city and the metro area. It's a nice place, tho, and I've given to understand that many of the former SOC folks from Northwest Airlines are moving to Peachtree City. Not that it's all *that* close to the airport, but that would mean some other former MN folks in relatively close proximity.

Just some quick comments, anyway...
Thanks much for the reply! I'll reply to it in a point by point manner.

I guess I have a skewed perspective on yards since we have a pretty good sized yard 5 minutes from downtown Duluth and 5 minutes from the mall (great location). There's enough "breathing" room and room to walk around in. Of course now, I'm young and not worrying about a house. But I'm just looking to the prospective future. I just hate the whole "cookie cutter subdivision" feel, and it just feels so un-natural and fake. No "soul" so to speak.

I'm glad you can see my perspective, being from MN and all. Yes, Duluth is a pretty city. Our climate, though, is absolutely abysmal. (Some true hardocre Minnesotans love it though!) Also our roads are among the worst I've ever encountered (especially after coming back from a vacation in Phoenix where all roads and freeways are pretty much immaculate.)

I've noticed some of the Atlanta scenery is similar to Minnesota scenery (a lot of trees), though it seems like there's a lot more trees in Atlanta. How are the mosquitoes? I'd take it they can't be too bad if you don't have much stagnant water lying around, but the increased humidity may be cause for more of the nuisances we call mosquitoes.

As far as crime goes, I figured that to be the case. I know there's good and bad areas everywhere. It seems like some people on boards sensationalize things to an extreme and then comes a skewed perspective. I walked around downtown Minneapolis at night with some friends before and never was hassled. I felt safe in downtown Minneapolis, and most of MN to be exact. Maybe I wouldn't feel the same in Brooklyn Park? I heard the crime there is bad

As far as scenery like the north shore, I wouldn't miss it. I've never really driven up that way (past Two Harbors). Plus with the water being so cold, it always just seemed kind of like a "You can look but you can't touch" dealio. An ocean is more of my liking, which doesn't seem too far away in all reality. How about hills though? I take it driving in Georgia, especially the Atlanta area, isn't like driving on a pancake, is it? (I can't exactly recall as it was many years ago) Are there steep hills like there are in Duluth there?

I'm glad there's a good selection of women there! That's always a plus!

And as far as housing being more inexpensive, that's good to hear. Houses in Duluth, MN here are expensive for the wages offered here. Though you do tend to get a lot for your money if you look in the right places.

And as far as PTC goes, reason I asked about it is because I was wondering if it was kind of a "self-sustaining" type community. I heard it's up and coming with a lot of job opportunities and lots of companies are being headquartered there. I wouldn't want to live there if I worked in downtown Atlanta for example. That is indeed quite a ways away. I actually found out about it from a customer at work that just recently moved down there and was raving about it.

Again, thanks for the reply, and if people have more info to share and more thoughts to add, please feel free!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:01 AM

I'm bringing this up to the top before it gets to page 2 and is forgotten all about. If there are some other people that could give me their input, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Man, Pheonix is so far behind Atlanta... Like 2 hours?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Man, Pheonix is so far behind Atlanta... Like 2 hours?
Haha well since Phoenix doesn't observe DST, sometimes they're 2 hours behind (like now in the winter). In the summer, they're 3 hours behind the Eastern Time Zone.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times
Quote:
Haha well since Phoenix doesn't observe DST, sometimes they're 2 hours behind (like now in the winter). In the summer, they're 3 hours behind the Eastern Time Zone.
Sounds like an easy decision to me!

Old 01-31-2010, 01:09 PM

225 posts, read 586,100 times
If you want to be around clubs, bars, sporting events, etc, you want to live closer to intown Atlanta. Buckhead, Midtown, Highlands, etc. PTC is a really nice place but NOT the place for you (based on what you posted). PTC is more of a family environment and well, most of the "fun single city dwellers" live anywhere within the triangular region between I-75 North and I-85 North... starting from midtown and heading up towards the Perimeter Mall area.

Lower-crime areas: it's all relative to what you mean, what you do for a living, etc. The cost of living is very good in Atlanta so you can definitely rent/buy within the city limits in safe areas.... but it all depends on exactly what you want, how nice of a place, size, etc. For a general working class professional, it's very easy to buy intown and yet have money to go out and have fun.

I hope this all helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta