U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 14,382,819 times
Reputation: 2280

Advertisements

Go Here>>>

Need help deciding where to live in Canton/Holly Springs

This seems to be mainly about houses/subdivisions--better schools would be found in the 'better' subdivisions, typically. You might use the FYI--names of communities to find specific schools and then go to GreatSchools.net or a similar education site and research the schools. Or you could contact the posters in this forum that might have further information on the Canton school system--might be Cherokee County???

You could also contact Cherokee County schools or go to their website.

hth

sls
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2007, 11:46 AM
 
40 posts, read 333,661 times
Reputation: 73
I would take exception to the fact that everyone intown sends their kids to private schools. We don't and I know very few people who do, even though most people in our community live in expensive homes and could certainly afford to go the private school route.

Midtown is districted to Morningside Elementary, Inman Middle and Grady High. These are some of the best schools in the state (well, for Grady to be good you have to get into the magnet program - but it is famous nationwide).

Be very careful moving to the suburbs. Some of them are not stable at all particularly on the "edges" - east and west sides. Atlanta is quickly evolving into a European city model with many wealthy people living intown and the lower middle class being forced out to the inner suburbs.

Go to the state DOE website, 2005-2006 State of Georgia K-12 Report Card.

Then check out some schools that you are interested in. Click on the tab for "School Reports," then on "School Demographics," then on "Enrollment by Demographics." Scroll down and you will see the number of FRL (free lunch) kids. Check to see if the number is going up or down. If it is going up, particularly if the change is dramatic... you need to look at that neighborhood very carefully because it may not be stable.

Ideally, you would move into an area where the school FRL percentages are going down because then you will be in an area that is on the upswing so your property values should increase accordingly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2007, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,123 posts, read 5,616,241 times
Reputation: 534
Even though you state that commuting is not a problem for you since you can work from home, where you live geographically is still pretty important for enjoying life. I would never move to the best school district for that reason only - example, everyone knows that East Cobb schools are always ranked highly, yet you could not pay me to live there....I just simply don't like the area and it's inconvenient to get to interstates, and I do not like the strip mall motif going on there. Give me someplace slightly closer in with schools maybe, on the whole, rated slightly below and I'm good to go. I posted about this on another thread, but I feel that people are WAY too caught up in these school rankings these days. Call it the "outsource culture", where we're so used to paying people to do things for us - be it cut the grass, paint the house, refinish the kitchen, watch the dog, etc. - that we look to the school to be just another day-care where a great ranking means the kid will automatically be better than everyone else (or at least we can say we provided the best opportunity). Bottom line is this - raise your kid with good values and a desire to succeed, and they will make it happen. As long as the school offers decent AP classes and some advanced curriculum, the kid can choose his/her own future. Trust me - there are plenty of f-ups in the best schools in town.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 PM
 
Location: 30328
425 posts, read 1,560,418 times
Reputation: 152
I would agree with most of what you said except for the fact that the metro Atlanta's growth is fueled around its job centers, some located outside the perimeter. The Central Perimeter district is the single largest job center in the metro area (counting available Class A office space). So, instead of having a single circle of desirable area like Paris, we have several smaller circles of desirable areas like Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Sandy Springs/Dunwoody, and Alpharetta.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sumiller2000 View Post
I would take exception to the fact that everyone intown sends their kids to private schools. We don't and I know very few people who do, even though most people in our community live in expensive homes and could certainly afford to go the private school route.

Midtown is districted to Morningside Elementary, Inman Middle and Grady High. These are some of the best schools in the state (well, for Grady to be good you have to get into the magnet program - but it is famous nationwide).

Be very careful moving to the suburbs. Some of them are not stable at all particularly on the "edges" - east and west sides. Atlanta is quickly evolving into a European city model with many wealthy people living intown and the lower middle class being forced out to the inner suburbs.

Go to the state DOE website, 2005-2006 State of Georgia K-12 Report Card.

Then check out some schools that you are interested in. Click on the tab for "School Reports," then on "School Demographics," then on "Enrollment by Demographics." Scroll down and you will see the number of FRL (free lunch) kids. Check to see if the number is going up or down. If it is going up, particularly if the change is dramatic... you need to look at that neighborhood very carefully because it may not be stable.

Ideally, you would move into an area where the school FRL percentages are going down because then you will be in an area that is on the upswing so your property values should increase accordingly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2007, 12:45 PM
 
Location: ga
985 posts, read 5,217,959 times
Reputation: 492
Also, Cumberland/Marietta and Norcross has many jobs as well. No everybody needs to drive to downtown area. In fact, there is trend that many businesses in downtown start moving to midtown/buckhead area.

Best advice is still "live close to where you work".

Last edited by jxu66; 06-19-2007 at 01:18 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM
 
Location: 30328
425 posts, read 1,560,418 times
Reputation: 152
Norcross lacks class A office space. The companies there are more localized and independent (with notable exceptions). My hope is that the Technology Park corridor doesn't become like the Jimmy Carter Blvd / Mt Industrial corridor over time. I work near the Technology Park area and I really have no complaints except for stupid traffic along 141.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Also, Cumberland/Marietta and Norcross has many jobs as well. No everybody needs to drive to downtown area. In fact, there is trend that many businesses in downtown start moving to midtown/buckhead area.

Best advice is still "live close to where you work".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
 
3 posts, read 24,128 times
Reputation: 11
Two good sources for the latest information about specific schools is at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC) school report:
The Ultimate Atlanta School Guide | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/gen/schoolguide/index.html - broken link)
and at the Georgia Public Policy Foundation
Georgia Public Policy Foundation - www.gppf.org

Any general home search at AtlantaMLS.com - A service of Georgia MLS or REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale would include school information, so if you find a house you like, you can cross reference the school district (or narrow it down and search by schools).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2007, 07:53 PM
 
154 posts, read 543,965 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Even though you state that commuting is not a problem for you since you can work from home, where you live geographically is still pretty important for enjoying life. I would never move to the best school district for that reason only - example, everyone knows that East Cobb schools are always ranked highly, yet you could not pay me to live there....I just simply don't like the area and it's inconvenient to get to interstates, and I do not like the strip mall motif going on there. Give me someplace slightly closer in with schools maybe, on the whole, rated slightly below and I'm good to go. I posted about this on another thread, but I feel that people are WAY too caught up in these school rankings these days. Call it the "outsource culture", where we're so used to paying people to do things for us - be it cut the grass, paint the house, refinish the kitchen, watch the dog, etc. - that we look to the school to be just another day-care where a great ranking means the kid will automatically be better than everyone else (or at least we can say we provided the best opportunity). Bottom line is this - raise your kid with good values and a desire to succeed, and they will make it happen. As long as the school offers decent AP classes and some advanced curriculum, the kid can choose his/her own future. Trust me - there are plenty of f-ups in the best schools in town.
Thankyou!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 AM
 
1 posts, read 11,832 times
Reputation: 11
This is very helpful:

[URL]http://www.atlantapros.com/Nav.aspx/Page=/PageManager/Default.aspx/P=392197[/URL]
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 12:18 PM
 
12,904 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Even though you state that commuting is not a problem for you since you can work from home, where you live geographically is still pretty important for enjoying life. I would never move to the best school district for that reason only - example, everyone knows that East Cobb schools are always ranked highly, yet you could not pay me to live there....I just simply don't like the area and it's inconvenient to get to interstates, and I do not like the strip mall motif going on there. Give me someplace slightly closer in with schools maybe, on the whole, rated slightly below and I'm good to go. I posted about this on another thread, but I feel that people are WAY too caught up in these school rankings these days. Call it the "outsource culture", where we're so used to paying people to do things for us - be it cut the grass, paint the house, refinish the kitchen, watch the dog, etc. - that we look to the school to be just another day-care where a great ranking means the kid will automatically be better than everyone else (or at least we can say we provided the best opportunity). Bottom line is this - raise your kid with good values and a desire to succeed, and they will make it happen. As long as the school offers decent AP classes and some advanced curriculum, the kid can choose his/her own future. Trust me - there are plenty of f-ups in the best schools in town.
Great post. Everyone should read this.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top