U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 AM

15 posts, read 362,787 times
Default 3 Best School Districts

Hi,
Can you tell me, generally speaking, the three best school districts in the greater Atlanta metro area?

We would like to buy a house in an area with the best schools. I know there are links that give you ratings but the ones I've seen are listed under the names of schools and since I dont know the area it is hard to cypher through the info. Can someone just tell me, generally, what three counties are known for good schools?

Thanks.
FH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 11:27 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,575,482 times
IMO
Johns Creek area. AKA Western Duluth.
Dacula and Mill Creek

JXU has more insight on the school locations.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Really? We have been warned to stay away from Duluth. My dh talked to an Alpharetta local who said that since the Olympics everyone wanted to move to Duluth and it kind went downhill. Is that true? FH

Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 PM

40 posts, read 272,998 times
Default Best school districts?

The three best school districts as of 2005 were Fayette County, Forsyth County and Union County.

However, you really can't make a decision based on the best school districts. All of these counties have excellent schools and poor schools. Most of the county districts are huge and vary greatly from school to school. You really need to look at the individual schools themselves.

What is important to you? Do you want a small school or a large one? Do you want diversity? Do you want innovative pedagogy or traditional pedagogy? Is subject matter or thinking skills more important to you? Do you want to be in an urban or suburban area? There are outsanding schools even in the districts that have the lowest ratings. DeKalb and Atlanta have some excellent schools but they are not considered good school systems overall.

I suggest that you check out greatschools.net to get some insider info once you narrow your search down. Also check out the Georgia Department of Education website.... 2005-2006 State of Georgia K-12 Report Card.

For starters, these are a few neighborhoods that traditionally are considered to have excellent schools...

East Cobb County
Dunwoody (Dekalb Co schools)
South Forsyth County
Alpharetta (Fulton Co. schools)
Candler Park/Inman Park/Lake Claire (Atlanta City Schools)
City of Decatur (within the city limits only) (City Schools of Decatur)
Peachtree City (Fayette County Schools)
Buckhead (through middle school) (Atlanta City Schools)
Tucker (parts of) (DeKalb Co. schools)
Roswell (parts of) (Fulton Co. schools)
Morningside/Virginia Highlands/Ansley Park (Atlanta City schools)
Duluth/Sewanee (Gwinnett Co. schools)

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 6,575,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finding Home View Post
Really? We have been warned to stay away from Duluth. My dh talked to an Alpharetta local who said that since the Olympics everyone wanted to move to Duluth and it kind went downhill. Is that true? FH
Duluth is a large area. 30096 is the eastern side of Duluth by I-85 Pleasant Hill Road. This area has changed and not for the good. 30097 is the Johns location.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info Sunmiller2000.

What I am looking for is a community who will likely retain pride in their houses and neighborhoods for a long time. I was trying to guestimate this by looking for the best schools. We are coming from Southern California and out here it is generally true that great school districts usually attract a better class of people. (they are usually more expensive too but that is ok as I would rather stretch myself financially than live in place that will go down in ten years) Unfortunately we have seen entire communities go down the toilet due to low lifes who just dont care about their community.

So to phrase it better, I am looking for the best possible schools in the best possible areas in the greater Atlanta metro area. We work from home, so the commute is not our biggest concern.

Thanks so much!

FH

Old 05-28-2007, 01:06 PM

3,460 posts, read 6,995,545 times
Finding HOme

While generally speaking, the quality of schools is one way to meaure pride and possible appreciation in home values, that isn't the only determinate in Atlanta, by any stretch of the imagination. Look at Sandy Springs, for example, or Midtown Atlanta or the area near Cascade in South Fulton -- lots of nice homes, luxury neighborhoods and almost no one using public school. Location, location, location -- trumps many things in Atlanta

Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 PM

985 posts, read 3,988,136 times
lastminutemom is right. There is big traffic problem in Atlanta so many intown community has become very popular within past six years. There are many good private schools intown so many folks can send their kids to those private schools. They are likely appreciate more than even those suburbs with good school districts.

sumiller2000 is pretty much covers most good school districts in Atlanta. If you want absolute public schools, East Cobb (Walton high) and Johns Creek (Northview and Chattohoochee high) are best bet.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:51 PM

481 posts, read 1,929,329 times
Cobb County school district (eastern part of county - East Cobb, eastern Marietta)
Fulton County school district (northern part of county - Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton, Johns Creek)

These are the two best school districts in the inner metro area. Gwinnett County also has several good schools in various locations, though none of them are as good as the east cobb and north fulton schools. Western Cobb county also has good schools in the Kennesaw/West Cobb area. The schools in Sandy Springs are similar.

The rest of Fulton (south of Sandy Springs), south Cobb, and Dekalb County should be avoided if you want public schools. Avoid Clayton County at all costs.

The outer metro area counties (as in, not Cobb/Fulton/Gwinnet/Dekalb/Clayton) tend to have pretty good school districts.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:50 AM

4 posts, read 119,469 times
Question need help about canton ga

Hi

How are the schools in Canton ga. i'm move in july 2007 from fl .

thank you need help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta