U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 PM

12 posts, read 20,494 times

Advertisements

hello, i'm moving from chicago to Atlanta and i'm on a very tight budget,i'll be searching for a job when i get there....i'm looking to rent a studio apartment or smaller for about 500.00 or anything less..if i can...what is the cheapest area to live in or near atlanta......i have 6 months before my move any suggestion...or things i can do before my move??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,444,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloact View Post
hello, i'm moving from chicago to Atlanta and i'm on a very tight budget,i'll be searching for a job when i get there....i'm looking to rent a studio apartment or smaller for about 500.00 or anything less..if i can...what is the cheapest area to live in or near atlanta......i have 6 months before my move any suggestion...or things i can do before my move??
I'm sure you will be hearing this same message from multiple people, but it isn't really a good idea to move anywhere in this economy without having a job lined up beforehand, or without having some sort of backup plan in case you end up not being able to find work for 6 months or more.

That's the national average time right now. Six months. That was true back in September, anyway, and I suspect that it hasn't improved much if any.

Chart: Average Job Search Hits All-Time High as Chronic Unemployment Sets In - Planet Money Blog : NPR

The unemployment rate in both Georgia and in the Atlanta metro is somewhat above the national average, and I think most of us in the forum already know several local people who are currently looking for work. I know I do, anyway.

Unless you have a significant amount of money saved for covering your living expenses, I wouldn't move here from Chicago. Some of the protections you might have up there in the State of Illinois may not exist down here in Georgia.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 AM

44 posts, read 167,463 times
Oh no, I'm doing the same thing I'm moving from the Chicago burbs tot he Atlanta burbs on my unemployment salary. Looking for employment down there right now!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 PM

416 posts, read 622,024 times
Maybe you will be in luck if you can find someone as crazy as me to rent from.
I bought a duplex in East point. (walking distance to the marta station)
It has gas furnace/heat and window A/C units, and I PAY for WATER. (so it is included for the tenants). each unit is a 2/1. The previous tenant was paying $ 500/mo. I know the economy is tough, and I wanted to be competitive (AND NICE) and rent it out quickly. So I rented the basement unit for $ 375/mo and the upstairs for $ 425/ mo., again, including water.
The folks in the basement continually coomplain to the management co (which costs me $$), including whining that the stove was not sparkling shiny, and they managed to break the doors off the fridge. So I have to put up with this for a year's lease.
Is this not the LOWEST rent in Atlanta???
I am getting screwed for trying to be nice.
So, it is funny to hear you say that $ 500 is the "cheapest" rent in Atlanta.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
So I rented the basement unit for $ 375/mo and the upstairs for $ 425/ mo., again, including water.
do u still have these two units available? i'm looking for somewhere to stay, preferably in east point!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 PM

468 posts, read 756,814 times
Wow.. those are cheap rent rates! Unless you get a roommate, it's going to be hard to find something in that price range - and yes, it's preferrable to have a job before moving!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 PM

3,625 posts, read 2,893,353 times
Yikes, no job lined up, moving here, rent under $500/mo...

When I read these posts, I'm just thinking "Yeah, good luck with that..."

I'm just trying to be honest, and not sugarcoat it; I just don't get it. Why are people set on moving with no employment set up? Secure yourself a job, THEN move down here, and find a place to stay. BELIEVE ME, people who already live here are really struggling to find work after lay-offs, cut-backs, etc. It ain't easy down here!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM

549 posts, read 639,562 times
you can find TONS of rentals, and rooms for rent around $300-$400 month...

how i know? i had one before..

Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 PM

642 posts, read 1,438,756 times
It's more than prefereable. I'd say it's pretty much mandatory.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,467,468 times
Atlanta Apartments for Rent - Equity Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta