Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 AM

39 posts, read 107,311 times

Advertisements

I live in Roswell, and I am not finding much in the way of jobs. I've expanded my search to include Atlanta, although I am not sure this is a smart thing to do. I thought taking MARTA would be the best way to handle this, and I've done the bus/train shuffle to get to a couple of interviews. I was wondering if anyone out there does this on a daily basis... It seems like it would get old pretty quick. I only live 5 miles away from a park and ride, but it takes me 20 to 30 min to get to it in the mornings... I have an interview with a company near Peachtree Center, but I'm thinking of telling them no thanks.

Thoughts, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,300 times
Ummm...I would take the interview especially in today's economy. I haven't been on Marta consistently since college so I can't tell you about the daily commute. Have you thought about jobs that would allow for teleworking from home?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:45 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Yeah, not a fun commute, but I'm sure that a lot of Roswellians do it. My advice is that if you decide to do it, head for work early...and when I say early, I mean before 7:00.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM

39 posts, read 107,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Have you thought about jobs that would allow for teleworking from home?
Ah, my old job let me do that... It was great. But nowadays, if a job can be done from home, odds are it can also be done from India. Sad to say. There are also fewer and fewer jobs that take the comfort and convenience of the employee into consideration at all. PM me if you know of any jobs at all like this. I'd consider a pay cut if I could avoid the commute!

Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
If your out of work and looking I don't see why you would close opportunities before you interview and have a chance to find out more about the job. What if this is your dream position. If I was not employed I'd consider All locations in the metro. If it turns out you don't want it long term you can always see what comes up down the road. It is always easier to land a job when you are already employed.

My wife commutes from midtown to Alpharetta and it has turned out to be not nearly as bad as we thought it would. Of course its a bit different going into town but luckily you have the option of either driving or taking the train.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 AM

255 posts, read 464,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosen View Post
I live in Roswell, and I am not finding much in the way of jobs. I've expanded my search to include Atlanta, although I am not sure this is a smart thing to do. I thought taking MARTA would be the best way to handle this, and I've done the bus/train shuffle to get to a couple of interviews. I was wondering if anyone out there does this on a daily basis... It seems like it would get old pretty quick. I only live 5 miles away from a park and ride, but it takes me 20 to 30 min to get to it in the mornings... I have an interview with a company near Peachtree Center, but I'm thinking of telling them no thanks.

Thoughts, anyone?
Been doing that commute for 33 years.

Going in isn't all that bad; about 45 minutes. For some reason, coming home is worse, about an hour. But that's to the state capital area. From Peachtree Center, you can probably cut five minutes off that.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:29 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
If your out of work and looking I don't see why you would close opportunities before you interview and have a chance to find out more about the job. What if this is your dream position.
Agreed. My father-in-law always told his children "You can't turn down a job you haven't been offered."

Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 AM

878 posts, read 2,737,715 times
Listen it is not bad if you can do the following...I live in Alpharetta (exit 9) and work in Midtown....I leave home at 6:40 and get to my desk by 7:15...after 7am is bad. I leave between to 5:30 and takes me 40-45 minutes...really not terrible.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times
We have been in corporate housing off Haynes Bridge in Alpharetta and my husband has gotten to GT in 25 minutes, but he leaves by 6:15. About 45 minutes coming home leaving Tech at 5:00.

(Unfortunately he is currently stranded in Finland)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: