Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,893,886 times

Advertisements

I hear so many success stories on how transplants were lucky enough to land a job outside there current state of residence.

Obvious question, in this economy, unless its a job transfer, how did you do it? Did you ask for relo, was it offered, did you say you didnt need it?

Did you use someone elses address (relatives friends) to establish yourself as local?

I would think all the out of state resumes (especially from the north)..get tossed to the side right away because its assumed that people will ask for too much money, or they will want relo.

How did you overcome the questions of "why did you want to move"..what makes you a good fit.

Any tips or pointers would help.

Just dont want to do it on one income alone.....or come out cold turkey like I hear others do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM

554 posts, read 974,140 times
I would think job hunting for jobs in other states isn't much different than local job hunting. Just make sure your resume / cover letter makes you stand out from the crowd. My situation may be a bit different as I am extremely specialized in what I do. This means that head hunters from all over the county constantly call me. Last time I was unemployed, I was firm about staying in Atl and it took me 5 months to find a job. This time, I decided to national and it took me less then 3 weeks to have 2 firm offers, both out of state. It seems that some companies will offer relo and some won't. Most have not asked me much about how willing I was to move etc, I think that HR people are aware that in this economy people will go to where the jobs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta