Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 PM

969 posts, read 1,952,280 times

Advertisements

The census projects a population of 7 million in the metro area in 2030. If true, by 2040 I'm sure it will be 7.5-8 million. I hope there will be a more robust transit system in the metro area by then!! If we think Atlanta has bad traffic now, just wait until 2040. Projections aside, if Georgia doesn't invest in transportation in the near future it's possible that these projections will be significantly lower. And realistically, I think the city population will be more around 600-700,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,798,537 times
I think a major overhaul of the governmental boundaries will happen by then. Some sort of metro government, merger of counties and cities or some other realignment needs to come into being. The archaic Georgia county system will have finally reached a tipping point and the state will have to amend its laws. Too many layers of government.

I would like to see a consolidation of DeKalb and Fulton south of the Chattahoochee (let Milton go at this point) into a Greater Atlanta government akin to the Greater London with already established cities and boroughs to govern local/neighborhood issues, but all in a larger municipality of Greater Atlanta. This city would approach the 2,000,000 mark.

Greater London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This larger city could more efficiently handle the inner urban core of the metro area and better deal with transit issues. Transitioning to a full fledged rail system uniting the whole area is the keystone of whether or not Atlanta languishes or continues to grow.

Location and weather are in Atlanta's favor now. It is to be seen if the region can come together in a more unified way to deal with larger transit issues. Also to be seen is if the state and the metro area can come together for the greater good of both areas and not retreat deeper into an us vs. them attitude that has been prevalent for years.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:53 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,533,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
won't be an atlanta . . . . global warming will cause it to be swallowed by the sea.

but seriously, there's a hundred threads on this subject; some fairly recent. try a search.
100 topics on the year 2040? post a link to this 2040 topic.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,533,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Seeing how Atlanta could go either way at this point, I'll give two possible scenarios.

First the pessimistic/dystopian predictions:

- Atlanta's city population has decreased to the 300,000's and metro to the 3 millions, and continues a net loss yearly
- Unemployment is up to 20-30%
- The city's crime rate is back in the top 2 along with Detroit
- The airport is closed for safety reasons, and the entire city is locked down because it looks like a war zone, same as Detroit
- The high speed rail line was never built in Georgia, and as a result Charlotte replaced Atlanta as the central city of the Southeast
- Now new construction projects have been completed since 2010
- Atlanta is rated one of the worst cities to live in the United States (but dirt cheap)

Now for the optimistic/utopian predictions:

- Atlanta's city population is above 1 million, and metro over 10 million and continues to grow yearly
- Unemployment is below 5%
- The city's crime rate is ranked among one of the safest cities, making the once dangerous reputation a thing of the past
- The airport continues to be the busiest in the world, and now offers flights to the moon and other planets
- The Multi-modal Passenger Terminal is completed at Five Points (will be renamed Atlanta Station), and bullet trains are available to Charlotte, Chattanooga/Nashville, Birmingham/Mobile, and Macon/Savannah. Also the Beltline and Peachtree Streetcar have been running for 10-15 years. In addition, new MARTA lines exist such as to Emory and Stone Mountain, and commuter rail is available to Cobb, Gwinett, Clayton, and a few other counties in the metro area.
- Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead skylines are joined as one, making it the largest in the U.S. Few new skylines have popped up as well, such as in Little Five Points and Bankhead. A lot of districts have mirrored Atlantic Station and Aerotropolis. The Waterworks (in NW Atlanta) has become a popular destination for reacreation with many shops, restaraunts, and entertainment with waterside scenery, with even a suspension bridge to connet I-75 with 285 to the west. Midtown Mile and Streets of Buckhead continue to draw millions every year. For nightlife, Piedmont & Peachtree in Buckead and Crescent Ave. are the most popular with bars/clubs stacked on top of each other in 6-8 story buildings.
- Atlanta is rated one of the best cities to live in the United States (but expensive)

Lol @ trips to the moon?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:54 AM

6,329 posts, read 11,871,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
The census projects a population of 7 million in the metro area in 2030. If true, by 2040 I'm sure it will be 7.5-8 million. I hope there will be a more robust transit system in the metro area by then!! If we think Atlanta has bad traffic now, just wait until 2040. Projections aside, if Georgia doesn't invest in transportation in the near future it's possible that these projections will be significantly lower. And realistically, I think the city population will be more around 600-700,000.
Actually there won't be any traffic since cars should be flying by then, lol.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -Christopher Lloyd, Back to the Future Part II

Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 AM

23,368 posts, read 43,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Actually there won't be any traffic since cars should be flying by then, lol.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -Christopher Lloyd, Back to the Future Part II
God help us all if the average Atlanta driver is given this ability.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,028,760 times
The Beltline will be complete and Atlanta will be a model city for urban living with the ring of light rail, walking and biking trails and parks.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 AM

17 posts, read 35,430 times
Whoa I like those optimistic predictions. I would love to see Atlanta grow to around a million like other big cities and the metro can grow by a few million more as well. I don't know if ten million for the metro area is realistic and it is highly likely that midtown and downtown can become one continuous skyline. Great things are ahead for ATL!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM

288 posts, read 955,847 times
If the end of the world doesn't happen in 2012 I would say Atlanta will become a large post modernistic city with skyways for cars (like in back to the future II), marta will be long gone replaced with a super quiet solar powered speed train with tinted windows, paper thin tvs to get around the city, east west north south. 2-85 will turn into tracks for the speed train, with a couple lanes on 85/75/400 as well as a couple driving roads (basically like bike lanes are right now). New malls/restaurants/stores will be built along stops of the speed train. Car prices have skyrocketed, as there really is no use for them because the new speed transportation is so fast and convenient only a fool would be seen driving a car. Atlanta is also now an ocean front city, as Florida gets totally wiped out by overpowering hurricanes and major errosion, although a random couple earthquakes cause it to break away from GA and other bordering states, and then just goes under water. South Georgia also gets massive water coverage and the ocean starts just south of downtown. West End, College Park, and a couple other areas to the south become a major beach resort destination along with being a highend resident community with highend homes, clubs, highrises etc. on the ocean, some of the highrises in downtown are along the ocean as well, so they are priced premium dollar. The airport buys out north point mall and turns it into Atlanta/North Point Airport. The old airport location becomes a huge mini (dont get mad for this) live/work/play community right on the ocean, named Buckhead Beach, while the Buckhead community still retains its name, becomes strictly office/clubs/restaurants area, but very highend solar powered buildings, all glass, glass and marble streets, granite curbs. Lenox mall is transformed into a highend concert venue named The Elton John Music Center. At the North Point airport, there is space shuttle flights to the moon and neighboring planets. Turns out the sun is way more intense (in a good way no cancerous rays) on other planets, so Mars, Venus etc. become huge travel destinations with excellent and super safe sun tanning, infinite flowing waves for surfing, pure white diamond shiny beaches, fresh tropical fruit and the most puriest water ever found. Traveling to the planets does carry a premium, but becomes similiar to traveling to tropical places in the south pacific. Ok, I'm going way off the future of city of Atlanta, so you get the picture, good stuff!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 PM

594 posts, read 3,430,988 times
How big and how far south does anyone think atlanta will grow.I hope atlanta keeps growing bigger I hope atlanta grows all the way down to lagrange.If atlanta grows that far down south to lagrange then atlanta would be as large or will be the same size of los angelos california.Because thats about the same size of los angelos is from atlanta to lagrange.And then if this happens then atlanta will be called the giant La los angelos of the east and the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta