Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,679 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

In May, my husband will be working in Lawrenceville at Gwinnett Medical Center and I will be working 3 days a week at either Emory Johns Creek hospital and as far down as Peachtree Dunwoody surgery center. We are so impressed with the schools of south forsyth as well as the lower taxes. We have a 6 and 8 year old. How will the commute from south forsyth be for my husband to lawrenceville? and for me to Sandy Springs area? Is it going to be unbearable???

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycrna View Post
Hi everyone,

In May, my husband will be working in Lawrenceville at Gwinnett Medical Center and I will be working 3 days a week at either Emory Johns Creek hospital and as far down as Peachtree Dunwoody surgery center. We are so impressed with the schools of south forsyth as well as the lower taxes. We have a 6 and 8 year old. How will the commute from south forsyth be for my husband to lawrenceville? and for me to Sandy Springs area? Is it going to be unbearable???

Thank you.
Geographically, they are not that far apart. However, commuting to Lawrenceville could be a little tricky as there is no direct route other than Hwy 20, which has unbelievable traffic. If you plan on living at the very southern end of Forsyth, McGinnis Ferry might be a better option, especially after they extend the road over 85 to connect with L'ville Suwanee Rd. Traffic is quite bad over in the part of the world, so I would expect at least a 45 minute drive, depending on what part of the county you are in. The close to 400, the longer the commute. Also, you are going to have a pretty good drive when you need to work in Sandy Springs, unless it is during off hours. Good luck, and better you than me!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:36 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycrna View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you.
I'm thinking, considering y'all's situation--

If it's Lawrenceville+Sandy Springs...
Living in:

Peachtree Corners/Norcross
East Dunwoody
Doraville
Chamblee
Tucker

*These areas would offer a decent commute to Sandy Springs, and you would be going mostly against traffic for a commute to the Lawrenceville area--plus, the aforementioned areas are already on the northeast side of town like Lawrenceville, thus allowing a relatively quick commute.

*These areas also have great housing options and good schools.

If it's Lawrenceville+Johns Creek...
Living in:

Peachtree Corners/Norcross
Berkeley Lake
Duluth
Suwanee
Johns Creek
The far eastern part of South Forsyth (right along the river, next to Gwinnett County)

*These areas would offer a decent commute to Johns Creek, and you would be going mostly against traffic for a commute to the Lawrenceville area--plus, the aforementioned areas are already on the north/northeast side of town, thus allowing a relatively quick commute.

*These areas also have great housing options and good schools.

Other posters...what you do y'all think?

Old 02-28-2010, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,679 times
Thank you for the great information! We will both be traveling to work at 5:30-6:00 am. Do you think that will help the commutes should we stick with the south forsyth area?
We really like the Windermere community (further north in south forsyth), are we crazy to consider that area? My husband thought he could take hwy 20 to "suwanee dam" road and into lawrenceville. How would that be, compared to taking mcginnis ferry over?
As for me, I would only be commuting 3 days a week at 6 am, and at the most 2 of the days would be to Sandy Springs, the other day would be Johns Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta