Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Should Georgia Cut The School Budget
Don't Cut The School Budget- Increase Taxes 21 50.00%
Cut The Days Of The School Year/Furlough Teachers 3 7.14%
Increase Class Size/ Close Schools/Lay Off Teachers 1 2.38%
Add 1 Hour A Day And Go To A 4 Day School Week 17 40.48%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
So, LD and Neil, are you saying that Georgia school systems have plenty of room to absorb significant budget reductions without reducing the quality of services to students at all?

If that's true, how do we get from here to there?
Get rid of employees like this, for starters.

Superintendent steps down for now as construction investigation widens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,262,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I loved the explanation he gave when they questioned him a few weeks ago about why he had three charges on his gas card in the same day. His excuse was that he inadvertently put premium gas in the tank of his car, and he was afraid it would damage the engine, so he had someone siphon the gas out, and he then paid to refill the tank again.

And this is the level of genius that's running the school system in Dekalb. I just don't understand why they have some poorly-performing schools there.......

Old 03-04-2010, 01:47 PM

214 posts, read 562,730 times
Quote:

That's exactly where I am. . .

Old 03-04-2010, 01:51 PM

214 posts, read 562,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I loved the explanation he gave when they questioned him a few weeks ago about why he had three charges on his gas card in the same day. His excuse was that he inadvertently put premium gas in the tank of his car, and he was afraid it would damage the engine, so he had someone siphon the gas out, and he then paid to refill the tank again.

And this is the level of genius that's running the school system in Dekalb. I just don't understand why they have some poorly-performing schools there.......
Agree. . .

I was lost for words when I read what he had to say. And some are still supporting him. . .wow! And note that he is to "retain" his salary. . .if anything, he should receive less than half, since he decided to step down. You shouldn't get paid for sitting on your **** and feeling sorry (that you got caught slacking).

Old 03-04-2010, 01:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,116,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
So, LD and Neil, are you saying that Georgia school systems have plenty of room to absorb significant budget reductions without reducing the quality of services to students at all?

If that's true, how do we get from here to there?
I don't know what's going on in all counties, but in Cobb, I'm not hearing about draconian cuts. There was a 2% paycut passed in June, and while that's not fun, it's better than unemployment, especially given that we have zero or negative inflation.

The other thing to bring this back to reality is that GA is not alone. Other states are cutting...other states are laying off. Some states are raising taxes and laying off. I don't think any are simply raising taxes and not laying off anyone.

Some folks here act as if the rest of the country is growing and increasing spending, and GA is alone in cutting back.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:46 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,866,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't know what's going on in all counties, but in Cobb, I'm not hearing about draconian cuts. There was a 2% paycut passed in June, and while that's not fun, it's better than unemployment, especially given that we have zero or negative inflation.

The other thing to bring this back to reality is that GA is not alone. Other states are cutting...other states are laying off. Some states are raising taxes and laying off. I don't think any are simply raising taxes and not laying off anyone.

Some folks here act as if the rest of the country is growing and increasing spending, and GA is alone in cutting back.
Cobb has done a great job of managing the schools so far, and I am exceedingly grateful not to live in one of those poorly managed districts such as DeKalb. However, even the good stewards in our county likely can't absorb big cuts without affecting services. This is what's at the top of the page on the Cobb County Schools website, today:

First in Series of Public Budget Forums March 9
The Board of Education will host the first in a series of public forums regarding budget development Tuesday, March 9 at 7 p.m. at Kennesaw Mountain High School. The first forum will be a general information session to help the public understand the budget development process and the challenges created by the economy. Additional forums will be announced as the FY2011 budget development process continues throughout spring.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:31 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,397,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'm not an "anti-tax and spender" but I am against attitudes that exist in some states and now in the federal government that someone has deep packets and we'll just keep digging into the piggybank as needed. I think for the most part GA recognizes that tax money is earned by citizens and paid to government, not created by government to support the populace.

Your premise is that the money currently spent is spent wisely and more money automatically equals better performance, and therefore it's a zero sum game. I disagree.

How is it that states like New Hampshire get along just fine with no income tax and no sales tax? We already pay a 1 cent SPLOST in Cobb for capital costs related to schools, something which doesn't exist in many states.

So if we raise taxes, which taxes get raised and where do they get allocated? Since most school funding comes from local county and city property taxes, and home values have decreased along with the owners' net worth, do we jack up property taxes? How many people on the edge of foreclosure can afford that extra tax? Do we increase sales tax? Income tax? How much?

Why is it that as populations increase, the tax burden also seems to increase? Is it because a growing percentage of our population pays little to no tax and many are a net drain on the system? Why was tax in GA so much lower 20 years ago when I lived here?
Great Post!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
As for me, I am out of this state at the end of May, even if I have to give my house away.
Hope you're not heading back South. With all due respect, unless something better and guaranteed is waiting for you where you want to go, stay put. Like Bob said, things could be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

ROFLMAO!!!! He's leading by example.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 PM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times
Quote:
This thread seems to work on the premise that these taxes are spent efficiently, that the teacher's union is working in the best interest of the taxpayers and the children that the system is charged with educating, and that the average school system is not bloated with administrative bureaucracy.
Frankly, I found no option in the poll that I found acceptable...so I didn't vote.
BTW, +1 for you, neil.
Remember,

Georgia does not have a teachers' union.

We're a "right to work" state.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:23 PM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Exactly. The budget of GA is being balanced on the back of education, K-College. Did you see the article about the student who is almost finished with a specialized nursing program, makes all "A"s in college, has a job lined up, and already owes $60,000 for her degree, but now the entire program is on the chopping block? Her education could be blocked very close to graduation. Of course, her job would fall through and since the program is so specialized, she would have to go out of GA to finish at another school.

Everyone loves to blame the "overpaid" and "union" teachers here but the truth is teachers have NO union rights here (at least not in my county). Don't be fooled by the hype. This is not NJ where teachers have it made in the shade. This is GA where teachers are jerked around like pawns these days. Many teachers are making a lot less this year than they did last year. This coming year will be a total disaster because our legislature is pulling the stimulus money into this year when it is supposed to get us through next year!

Education is the whipping boy of GA and that speaks volumes about our priorities here.

As for me, I am out of this state at the end of May, even if I have to give my house away.
Good points.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,116,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Georgia does not have a teachers' union.

We're a "right to work" state.
You're correct that there really isn't a teacher's union in the same way as place like NY, but being a right to work state doesn't preclude or outlaw unions. It merely allows people to work without being pressured or forced to join a union and pay union dues.

Nothing is stopping anyone in GA who wants to join a union from doing so. Funny how when given the choice, many people choose not to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta