Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Should Georgia Cut The School Budget
Don't Cut The School Budget- Increase Taxes 21 50.00%
Cut The Days Of The School Year/Furlough Teachers 3 7.14%
Increase Class Size/ Close Schools/Lay Off Teachers 1 2.38%
Add 1 Hour A Day And Go To A 4 Day School Week 17 40.48%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I loved the explanation he gave when they questioned him a few weeks ago about why he had three charges on his gas card in the same day. His excuse was that he inadvertently put premium gas in the tank of his car, and he was afraid it would damage the engine, so he had someone siphon the gas out, and he then paid to refill the tank again.

And this is the level of genius that's running the school system in Dekalb. I just don't understand why they have some poorly-performing schools there.......

I couldn't believe it when I read it as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You're correct that there really isn't a teacher's union in the same way as place like NY, but being a right to work state doesn't preclude or outlaw unions. It merely allows people to work without being pressured or forced to join a union and pay union dues.

Nothing is stopping anyone in GA who wants to join a union from doing so. Funny how when given the choice, many people choose not to do so.
My main point is that we do not have teacher unions in Georgia. At all.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:32 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
My main point is that we do not have teacher unions in Georgia. At all.
Agreed, and let's not introduce them. That would be a cost saver.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:31 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And in many fields, people are making zero, due to extensive layoffs and job slashing in many industries. Not that it's the ideal situation, but would you rather be asked to take 6 furlough days, or be told that your services won't be needed any longer?

And please don't bring up the teachers in NJ as if they're something we should strive to have here. As someone who lived in NJ for many years, I can tell you that the teachers there have it well beyond "made in the shade", with pensions, healthcare programs, etc., that the rest of the world in private industry can only dream of ever getting. BTW- NJ is currently billions in the hole- largely due to public employee union costs- and will soon be implementing some pretty tough cuts of their own.
First, we had six furlough days and were just told to possibly expect MORE in the next 2 months. Second, we had an almost 3% pay cut on top of that from the county. (furlough days were from the state) Third, 135 teachers have been laid off in my county, including many special ed. These are classroom teachers, not aides, not support staff, not central office workers.

In the private sector (where I worked for many years before becoming a teacher) I only know one person who has been laid off. I don't know of anyone who had pay cuts, furlough days, and major staff reductions. Sure, some people may have had salary freezes but many teachers are now making a lot less than last year. I would love a freeze. Just hold us steady, that's all we ask for pete's sake.

Everyone tells front line teachers that we should be glad to have a job. Of course we are! But don't tell me that these cuts are saving jobs because they aren't. The bloated central offices continue to do nothing. Our school board will probably take another retreat to the beach this year.

My point is there has to be a better way than to keep cutting and cutting, especially when the overwheming majority of the cuts directly impact classroom instruction.

I realize that Georgia is in a world of hurt, but there has to be a balance between raising revenue and cutting spending. There are plenty of ways to raise revenue here, but our lawmakers are dead against anything, even increasing our paltry cigarette taxes. Bottom line is the industries with power/lobbyists are untouchable and areas like education will be looted. Look at the proposed tax on hospitals that was going to help pay for Medicaid. The lobbyists are raising the roof and you can bet that tax will never see the light of day. (which means even more cuts to... education!)

Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
In the private sector (where I worked for many years before becoming a teacher) I only know one person who has been laid off. I don't know of anyone who had pay cuts, furlough days, and major staff reductions.

Huh?

For the last 18 months, the country has seen huge numbers of layoffs (to the tune of nearly 750K per month for a couple of months), salary freezes, pay cuts, and other contractions in the economy. Where have you been?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 3,710 times
I'm willing to bet the majority of people who want to raise taxes in this case have been driven to Atlanta and the South from areas where their predecessors have taxed out a normal life for the average citizen.

You can't have and influx thousands upon thousands of people from disaster states like New York and New Jersey and California without major civil consequences. You'll see threads all over city-data lamenting the destruction of the very thing they came in to seek in many states.

If Georgia does raise taxes, it'll be one more reason for our family to look to move elsewhere.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendthemback View Post
I'm willing to bet the majority of people who want to raise taxes in this case have been driven to Atlanta and the South from areas where their predecessors have taxed out a normal life for the average citizen.

You can't have and influx thousands upon thousands of people from disaster states like New York and New Jersey and California without major civil consequences. You'll see threads all over city-data lamenting the destruction of the very thing they came in to seek in many states.

If Georgia does raise taxes, it'll be one more reason for our family to look to move elsewhere.
Good points and I think all true to a degree. Georgia still isn't NY, MA, NJ, or CA, but some folks seem to want to make it that way, despite having escaped from those places, and others who are native don't realize what living in a tax and spend paradise is like.

If it wasn't for my kids being in school here and not wanting to uproot them from high school, we'd be moving to Florida where there is no income tax and my family lives. Starting to regret the move to Atlanta and wishing I had chosen Tampa.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Quote:
Huh?

For the last 18 months, the country has seen huge numbers of layoffs (to the tune of nearly 750K per month for a couple of months), salary freezes, pay cuts, and other contractions in the economy. Where have you been?
I said I only personally know one person who has been laid off. Maybe all of my friends just got lucky, or are in a certain professional class. Almost everyone I know is spending freely and taking numerous vacations. These are engineers, bank managers, and such. I also know two people who are in construction/ building and they are still fully employed and spending like mad.

Even down in Florida, the Republicans are speaking out against any further cuts to education. In fact, last year FL raised "user fees" in many areas to prevent massive cuts in social services and education. (not fun, but you have to make a choice sometimes) These fee increases also hit teachers in FL. It used to cost $70 to renew a teaching certificate or add a subject, but now it's $200. Teachers aren't getting a free ride. Also, so far, FL has stood behind the class size amendment, whereas GA has tossed it out the window.

Early budget projects by Florida House are bleak, cut roads, social services and state-worker benefits - OrlandoSentinel.com

The above article shows that FL is in deep trouble, just like GA, but the key quote is "...they offer some insight into the philosophical leanings of the Republican-led chamber, which seeks to shield classrooms and college campuses while forcing social services, road construction and state employees to shoulder cuts."

I am not proposing to bring NJ style taxes to GA. That would be nuts. My point is the money can be found and waste can be cut, but instead, we are fine with chopping front line classroom jobs right off the bat (last year) and really going for the kill this year. GA needs to spread the pain around like FL and almost all other states are doing.

At least sales tax revenues are growing again in FL.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:14 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I said I only personally know one person who has been laid off. Maybe all of my friends just got lucky, or are in a certain professional class. Almost everyone I know is spending freely and taking numerous vacations. These are engineers, bank managers, and such. I also know two people who are in construction/ building and they are still fully employed and spending like mad.
So I guess since I only personally know four teachers who have had to take furlough days, it's not a big deal then either- by that logic.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,710 times
Quote:
Good points and I think all true to a degree. Georgia still isn't NY, MA, NJ, or CA, but some folks seem to want to make it that way, despite having escaped from those places, and others who are native don't realize what living in a tax and spend paradise is like.

If it wasn't for my kids being in school here and not wanting to uproot them from high school, we'd be moving to Florida where there is no income tax and my family lives. Starting to regret the move to Atlanta and wishing I had chosen Tampa.
If you do the math on states with no income tax and can avoid making up for that eslwhere, it's a no-brainer to live in one of those states. GA isn't that low of a tax state and when one adds Fulton and city of Atlanta, I wonder that you're better off in LA or NYC where at least you get something for the money other than 'pants on the ground'.. jmho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta