U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How Should Georgia Cut The School Budget
Don't Cut The School Budget- Increase Taxes 21 50.00%
Cut The Days Of The School Year/Furlough Teachers 3 7.14%
Increase Class Size/ Close Schools/Lay Off Teachers 1 2.38%
Add 1 Hour A Day And Go To A 4 Day School Week 17 40.48%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 AM

16,249 posts, read 11,817,416 times

Advertisements

This idea is being tossed around as a way to cut the school budget. Increase the day by 1 hour and 15 minutes and cut the school week to Mon-Thursday. I don't like it a bit but of all other solutions to the budget mess, this is probably less painful for education. How do you think Georgia should solve the budget problem for schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:14 AM

7,738 posts, read 10,014,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This idea is being tossed around as a way to cut the school budget. Increase the day by 1 hour and 15 minutes and cut the school week to Mon-Thursday. I don't like it a bit but of all other solutions to the budget mess, this is probably less painful for education. How do you think Georgia should solve the budget problem for schools?
In what county? Nothing of the sort has been discussed in Cobb. Your choices reflect a bunch of false assumptions, not too mention the loss of jobs for school bus drivers, lunchroom workers, custodians, and parents who would have to figure out how to find and pay for daycare for one day/wk.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:18 AM

102 posts, read 245,793 times
That would be nuts! Young school kids have had it by about 2:00, and older kids, contrary to gubment school admins' belief or ability to understand.... actually have a life outside of the four walls of school. All of my children would have to drop all of their extra-curriculars if we went to this sort of schedule.

Also, I understand that school is not childcare, but schools should not set up a situation where it is impossible for working parents to hold down their jobs. Who can get a sitter for one day a week? Again, I make my own arrangements for after school and do not depend on schools to raise my kids... in fact, I'd like them at school less and at home more. It's already a challenge to keep a job and take care of the kids, but I don't mind making the effort to work it out. However a schedule like this would make work impossible. Fewer parents work.... less income made per family.... less income tax revenues. Fewer parents work..... fewer investments and purchases made... less sales tax revenues and less business revenue..... see how it works?

If you must cut.... take off five days at the end of the school year. Better yet, since school systems have no common sense with school calendars, the state should step in and mandate at least a 10 week summer ... with a start date a heck of a lot later than late July or early August. Running AC nonstop in 100 degree+ August hear is very expensive. The buses are dangerously hot, and students athletes die every year from heat related issues b/c of practices in the blistering August sun. These whacko calendars are also depressing the summer based economy in Georgia which is hurting revenues... which is hurting schools. We also have kids who desperately need to work in the summers but can no longer get jobs b/c their summers are too short.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,389,369 times
I vote to make our school systems more like Finland or Sweden. Not everyone needs to be forced into a standard K-12 format. But unfortunately most of Georgia's politicians & leaders can barely see beyond their neighborhoods & cities, much less the world.

We are in for some rough times ahead.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:00 PM

214 posts, read 364,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I vote to make our school systems more like Finland or Sweden. Not everyone needs to be forced into a standard K-12 format. But unfortunately most of Georgia's politicians & leaders can barely see beyond their neighborhoods & cities, much less the world.

We are in for some rough times ahead.

I agree about the Nordic educational system. . .my SO and I have gotten quite a bit of invaluable information from acquaintances who live there. I definitely believe that we should pattern our system after theirs. . .but oh well, doubt that will be happening anytime soon.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:54 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,585,285 times
education in america: *when* it fails, pour more money in it. if the money runs out, collect more money.

repeat.

at the end your children still can't write and are completely incapable of progressing up the academic ladder. schools aren't nannies. you need to work with your children (or stop having them and expect everybody else to pay for them), get them involved in things they like and are good at.

the problem is teachers and liability. teachers aren't paid enough (and guess what, nothing will change that. the money will go towards building another stupid stadium so you parents can go and cheer some HS mascots as always) so the qualified folks don't bother taking that path and either go into tertiary/research institutions or in a different direction altogether. those who remain fall into 3 categories:
1. love teaching (god bless them. i had a few of those and can't say enough)
2. stuck teaching (may the heavens have mercy on your children)
3. don't care, just need something to do (can actually be good teachers despite not caring.)

also school districs are too politicized. there is too much censorship and pressure on teachers to dumb things down, to conform to some abstract guideline and to basically make everybody happy. well, you cannot flunk johhny stupid because then you would be fired by the PC school board, so johhny smarts parents are raising hell the system sucks and is keeping their child back. the district's answer? more abstract guidelines with some pointless programmes for "gifted" children funded with money they do not have.

so there you have it.

Last edited by cityrover; 02-28-2010 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 PM

9,129 posts, read 21,695,956 times
When you consider the fact that most teachers say only about 5% of the parents every show up for a PTA meeting or parent-teacher meetings, maybe they should just shut public schools down and make people do private schools or home schooling.

Yeah, I know - sounds nuts. But when you consider the fact that many parents spend more time shuttling their kids to ball or cheerleading practice than they do helping them with their homework (or even asking them if they've done it or have it), maybe it's not so nuts. Why should taxpayers and the State continue to spend so many millions of dollars a year on facilities the parents only view as daycare centers to keep their kids busy during the day, and take no active roll in?

Nope to four days. Just have "basic ed" schools that teach kids the basics of math and reading for grades 1-6. Then it's up to the folks to do the private or home school thing from there. It'll save the State and taxpayer untold millions, and cause the parents who do care about their kid's education and futures to stand out from the crowds.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,136,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
When you consider the fact that most teachers say only about 5% of the parents every show up for a PTA meeting or parent-teacher meetings, maybe they should just shut public schools down and make people do private schools or home schooling.

Yeah, I know - sounds nuts. But when you consider the fact that many parents spend more time shuttling their kids to ball or cheerleading practice than they do helping them with their homework (or even asking them if they've done it or have it), maybe it's not so nuts. Why should taxpayers and the State continue to spend so many millions of dollars a year on facilities the parents only view as daycare centers to keep their kids busy during the day, and take no active roll in?

Nope to four days. Just have "basic ed" schools that teach kids the basics of math and reading for grades 1-6. Then it's up to the folks to do the private or home school thing from there. It'll save the State and taxpayer untold millions, and cause the parents who do care about their kid's education and futures to stand out from the crowds.
I'm a teacher turned home schooling mom

Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 PM

7,738 posts, read 10,014,918 times
Quote:
When you consider the fact that most teachers say only about 5% of the parents every show up for a PTA meeting or parent-teacher meetings.
You must not have kids Greg, since your numbers show you haven't been to a school at conference time. Maybe in inner city schools that's the percentage, but I can tell you it wasn't at my children's schools in Massachusetts, and it's definitely not at their schools in Cobb. Both the open houses and teacher conferences are pretty well attended. Can't say I've attended PTA meetings here, but I've attended school board meetings.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:22 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,585,285 times
Quote:

Your lack of school spirit dissapoints me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta