U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 PM

8 posts, read 20,257 times

Advertisements

I know this is not Atlanta, but everyone should really try the IMAX in Huntsville AL (Spacedome). It's incredible and unlike any IMAX I've seen around Atlanta. It's curved to the point that you feel like you're strapped in a spaceship and there's nothing but you and the stars around you. I had to close my eyes a few times to regain my bearings, it's that realistic. It's well worth a day trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM

167 posts, read 690,777 times
The IMAX Theater at the Mall of Georgia in Gwinnett is by far the best in the entire Metro Atlanta area.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,354 times
Just letting you know that just because it claims its an IMAX theatre does not mean its "IMAX" Since IMAX recently released their marketing ploy...digital IMAX aka all the AMC IMAX's are not the same as the mall of georgia or Fernbank IMAXs just look it up. Basically what a digital IMAX gives you is a bit bigger of a screen compared to a normal theater, and better sound, and better picture...but it is not as big as a true imax, nor does it have as great of sound or picture as a true imax...just google it up: [url=http://gizmodo.com/5250625/cineplexes-getting-imax-but-is-it-imax-or-conspiracy]Cineplexes Getting IMAX, But Is It IMAX or CONSPIRACY? - Imax screen - Gizmodo[/url] this explains it abit.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 AM

384 posts, read 739,373 times
I saw Alice in Wonderland on Saturday @ AMC 24 in Kennesaw, and whether it be "true" IMAX or not (not sure), it was a great experience! The 3D effects on the huge screen were out of this world!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,001 times
Smile Imax is the best at mall of georgia

I've been to the IMAX theater in Buford at the Mall of Georgia numerous times, and it's AWESOME in 3-D. Like some of the other posters have said, the screen is huge, from what I've heard it's 80 ft tall, and the digital sound and picture can't be beat. The first time I visited there was in 2000, when I went to see "Fantasia 2000" and I was awestruck. There was a scene in the movie where Mickey Mouse is looking for Donald Duck and he runs off the screen calling for Donald...the next thing I know it sounds like he's running up one side of the theatre, across the back, and down the other side, only to re-appear on the screen. I've seen several IMAX 3-D movies there, one of which was "The Polar Express" and I swear, it was like the snow was falling around you. To me, this is the best IMAX in Georgia, and I plan on seeing Jurassic Park in IMAX 3-D sometime next week. It's a long drive for me, at least two hours, but it's well worth the trip.
Now I live close to Kenessaw, and the IMAX there is also very good, just not as big. I usually do a double feature there, one IMAX and one regular, and I've never been disappointed.
One thing to know in case you don't, on Tuesdays, the Regal cinemas will give you a coupon when you buy your ticket which is good for a small popcorn, which for a couple of extra bucks, you can upgrade to a large, which is also free refills. The same goes for Wednesdays at the AMC theaters. All you have to do for both theaters is become a member of their club. It's free and easy, and you earn points each time you go which eventually will get you concessions or free movie tickets. (Oh, and the AMC theater club also keeps track of the movies you have seen, which you can see on their website.)
Anyway you go, I don't think you will be disappointed, but the IMAX at the Mall of Georgia is a must if you're up for the trip. ENJOY!!!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM

126 posts, read 193,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popegame View Post
Just letting you know that just because it claims its an IMAX theatre does not mean its "IMAX" Since IMAX recently released their marketing ploy...digital IMAX aka all the AMC IMAX's are not the same as the mall of georgia or Fernbank IMAXs just look it up. Basically what a digital IMAX gives you is a bit bigger of a screen compared to a normal theater, and better sound, and better picture...but it is not as big as a true imax, nor does it have as great of sound or picture as a true imax...just google it up: Cineplexes Getting IMAX, But Is It IMAX or CONSPIRACY? - Imax screen - Gizmodo this explains it abit.
A bit jumbled, but true. There are two types of IMAX screens. I wouldn't call it a conspiarcy though, just deceptive marketing. It's a well-documented concept, if you search "fake imax" on google, you'll get scores of articles berating IMAX and AMC for installing these baby IMAX screens.

Basically, what's happening is that AMC is going through their largest multiplexes, picking the largest theater in the building, pulling the curtains off the walls, installing new speakers, and calling it an "IMAX" theater. Next time you go to Barrett Commons 24, or Southlake, or Stonecrest, or whatever theater has one, look at the height of the screen. IMAX screens are, on average, 76 feet high. That's over three stories of even the largest-sized buildings, and nearly 50 feet larger than the new "IMAX" screens you'll find in a retrofitted multiplex. If the theater you're going to didn't always have an IMAX theater inside (as in it appeared in the last seven years) and you didn't watch a three-story sarcophagus go up above you theater, chances are the IMAX theater you're going to is fake.

The only purpose-built IMAX screens in Metro Atlanta are the Fernbank Science Center of Natural History and the Regal Cinemas at the Mall of Georgia. If you go to any of the others, you're getting ripped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or