Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times

Advertisements

Don't worry too much about bugs. The piedmont features a lot less bugs and other dangerous animals(like gators) than the coastal plain. It freezes plenty to get rid of a lot of those bugs. However there still are things you gotta watch out for like fire ants.

Beaches are fairly far away but you do have options. Panama City Beach is the un-official beach for Atlanta. In the piedmont there are plenty of high quality lakes that offer semi-beaches. They are nothing like ocean beaches but you can still swim. And the water is plenty warm from Late May to September.

As far as weather is concerned, there is a thing called a "wedge" that affects the Carolinas more than us. Basically in the Winter cold air from the north can come down and get trapped by the Appalachians so while it may be in the 60s or 70s across the south it could be in the 50s and even 40s in the Carolinas. In the summer it could be the opposite where it will be much warmer in the Carolinas than here. It's not a sure thing but it's not entirely uncommon.

I hope you get to move down here soon. I can't help you on the economic decisions but if you need more info on the climate I'll be glad to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 06:22 PM

76 posts, read 173,744 times
Jerry and others,

Thanks for the warm replies. As for the trolls, they are everywhere and I am not bothered by it.

We are both hi-tech workers, holding Graduate degrees and will be looking for jobs in hi-tech markets of GA/NC. Any info or leads are appreciated. Also, we have a baby on the way (first) so we need to wait till that happens and we are comfortable with one additional person on us.

As for the higher education, my plan is to pursue another Master's degree (may be in Physical Therapy or something in medicine) AFTER I am settled in the new state with a job in IT.

I dont quite know how to plan all this, but I know I will somehow have to do it. Appreciate the help.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:44 PM

7 posts, read 15,787 times
Atlanta is a better place compared due to its milder weather and lower cost of living. You may also find a nice place within your mentioned budget beside good schools.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
neo08,

I don't live in Atlanta, but we have a few things in common so I thought I'd reply. I'm also in my 30s, work in IT (software developer), and am tired of the brutal winters. I am seriously considering moving to Atlanta for a lot of the same reasons you are. Lower cost of living, good IT market, and better weather. I had looked at a number of cities (Austin, Raleigh, San Diego) before narrowing it down to DC or Altanta. I still haven't decided which one to go with. But based on my research, you would have a hard time finding a job that allowed for a commute 30 minutes or less. I also don't know how strong the IT market is. I've started sending my resume out to Atlanta jobs and I haven't heard anything back. As for the cost of living, it's definitely better than places like NY or Boston. I've been looking at apartments in Dunwoody. 2-bedroom places run for a little over $1000. But keep in mind the IT salaries may not be as good as you're used to. If you'd like, you can DM me and we can pool our information. I think a lot of our criteria are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: