U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2010, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,465 times

Advertisements

My family moved to Peachtree City three years ago and we love it. They do an annual survey of residents and over 90% reported that they like it better or much better than any place they have ever lived. We moved from a beautiful part of NJ --but are much happier here. The perfect place to raise a family. Extremely low crime, great schools, great community feeling....... I commute to Emory everyday and it is worth the commute for what my family has (within an hour commute during rush hour). I really can't say enough about it here.....love the golf carts --living here is like living in a vacation community. When I come home, I feel like I have come to another world. Many of the nicer other suburbs around Atlanta are similar to what you find in New Jersey so it would have been barely like moving. ---We looked north and east when we moved here and decided on PTC for the quality of life --never had a regret. Kids can ride their bikes to the dairy queen, families drive their golf carts around.....great for all ages. I highly recommend.......
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 AM

13 posts, read 12,097 times
I just moved here from Phoenix. I only moved here because I was laid off there and found a good job here. If you think this is slower paced, safer and less crime you are seriously misguided. It's only slower paced from the standpoint that some people can't seem to drive faster than 20 on surface streets but the traffic here is far worse than anything I've seen in Phoenix and I lived in AZ 12 years. I can get to work in a half hour at 7 AM but it takes an hour to get home (at 4). The red stop lights are the slowest I've ever seen in my life and also there are just too many people on the road just like Phx.

It's not safer - I'd say it's about the same as Phx. The education system is also about the same, if not worse because you have to seriously research the counties that you want to move to and see if they have decent schools. Cost of living is higher. I can't comment on Peachtree City - I live in a historic part of downtown Decatur which I like a lot. Cost of rent is far higher than Phx - unless you are coming from N. Scottsdale - then you'll see it's about the same.

The weather, so far, sucks. They told me "mild" winters. I got here on 2/2/10 and so far all it has done is snow or rain. I hate the weather so far and despite being from Houston I am sure the summer is going to kill me humidity-wise. I'm also having allergy problems and it's not even bad yet according to the locals. I miss AZ weather something fierce. I miss sunshine and big blue skies (and I miss JoAnns, Fresh n Easy, Sprouts, Safeway and Frys - even though they have Kroger they are not nearly as good). I'd rather deal with the hot oven heat in the summer than what I've encountered so far but I'm stuck here until the Phx economy rebounds.

As far as the "good" side of town, personally I wouldn't pay any attention to what people here are saying. You need to visit and decide for yourself. I live ITP and like it - no desire to move to the burbs in another cookie cutter house. I live in Decatur - it's east and I work in Forest Park - OMG, south in Henry county. Whatever. If you can afford the chi-chi areas up north and want to spend your time on congested highways, go for it.

It sounds as if you are romanticizing Atlanta - it's okay but not heaven, not even close. I agree with another poster that you should consider Austin but disagree about Ft. Worth. FtW is nice and affordable. Austin gets hot and the traffic isn't great but I think you'll find better education opportunities.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Remember, the grass is not always greener!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times
I was born and raised in Phoenix, and I know exactly what your talking about. It has gotten very violent in the last few years and the education system is a joke. I also HATE all the speed cameras. I also do not allow my children outside. I am going to move to the panhandle in FL. Although humid (I will adapt) I really like the smaller towns, family centered community. Santa Rosa county has some wonderful schools and tight knit communities. Goodbye Arizona. I can't wait until I can go to a school function where everything is not translated into Spanish.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,465 times
Bleumoongirl -- I work right next to Decatur and I can understand what you are saying --thus why I did not move to live right in Atlanta. Peachtree City is 35 -40 miles south and is like another world. The traffic is horrendous in Decatur and there definitely is crime there --it is a part of a major city. --And if I had moved there, based upon my reviews of the high schools in many areas in Atlanta, my high school son would have had to go to expensive private schools. Houses are not very cheap in Atlanta either (cheaper than NJ though). Even real estates taxes are high in places. If I had to live right in a city, Atlanta is nice because it has residential right in the city, lots of trees, etc. --but I wouldn't and didn't choose to live there so I commute. And it probably takes me not much longer to get to Peachtree City than many parts of Decatur because of the traffic!! Take a ride some day to Peachtree City and you will see what I am talking about --- it is like another world --big lots, low signage, kids riding their bikes alone, people driving their golf carts around...... It is handy to have Atlanta nearby for Fox Theatre, sightseeing with company --but other than me going to work, we don't go there that often. You can't compare Peachtree City to Atlanta --as they are much, much different. Peachtree City has cheaper houses, almost 0 crime and great schools. ---- AND this was a bizarre winter. People who have lived here over 20 years are saying that they have never seen anything like this weather. It was my 4th winter --and the other three, I barely needed a coat --only a day or two here and there. Most days, a coat was not needed. We got some 70 degree days in every month. This has been a miserable winter. Hopefully, we don't see weather like this again. Some day drive down to visit Peachtree City for a day drive --it is interesting just to see.....

Last edited by 1325k; 03-30-2010 at 06:01 AM..

Old 03-31-2010, 07:59 AM

185 posts, read 263,624 times
I lived in Scottsdale, AZ for a while and, while there are things I liked about the Phoenix metro area, I think the Atlanta metro area far outshines Phoenix.

For one thing there are many areas in Atlanta where you actually have a sense of neighborhood and community and I never found that in Phoenix. Phoenix has got to be the cookie cutter capital of the world in my opinion. There was very little variety in the houses or neighborhoods there. Here in Atlanta you will find many different types of neighborhoods and a lot of variety in houses compared to Phoenix. There is also much more variety in shopping and in nightlife/entertainment.

As far as crime goes I feel much safer living around Atlanta than I did in Phoenix. Sure there is crime in Atlanta but most areas are relatively safe whereas in Phoenix it seemed like no matter where you lived crime was rampant. I think the people who live around Atlanta are much friendlier and easier to meet than in Phoenix. For some reason, at least when I lived there, a lot of the people I would meet in the Phoenix area were very standoffish. I really never got to know my neighbors there whereas here in Atlanta I have at least gotten to know some of my neighbors and that has been the case in both areas of Atlanta I've lived in since I moved here.

Someone posted earlier that they just moved here this year and thought the winter was horrible. Well I agree with them that this winter was not that great but that's due to the winter being extremely bad all over the country this year. I've lived in Atlanta for 5 years and this winter was definitely the worse, it was unusually cold here this year. But, while the winter here is not as nice as in Phoenix it generally is not that bad. I actually kind of prefer it to the Phoenix winter because it gets just cold enough here that you have a change of seasons and actually have somewhat of a fall.

Anyway, that's just my opinion but you should definitely come for a visit and check it out for yourself.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM

13 posts, read 12,097 times
1325K thanks for the input. I moved to Decatur because I felt isolated in Phoenix out in the burbs and as another poster mentioned, in Phx your neighbors rarely speak or get to know you. I hoped Decatur would be a friendlier place with interesting things to do. I'm still too new to decide about that. It's very beautiful here and people are much friendlier. Having received my gas bill recently, I've decided to move once my 6 mo. lease is up. I need to find a less expensive place to live - this place is too old/drafty! I'm not sure I want to drive 40 miles to work but I will check out Peachtree City and other places south. Having little in another city, I wanted the city vibe and convenience but I didn't factor in there is no convenience due to the conjestion.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 10,818 times
Well, I took the plunge and bought a home in PTC. I'll be leaving Phoenix soon for the long drive to GA, and it's bittersweet. After close to 25 years in AZ, it's time to move on, but for most of those years, I loved living here. Still, I'm looking forward to my new life as a PTC resident.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 AM

6 posts, read 10,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottlover View Post
Well, I took the plunge and bought a home in PTC. I'll be leaving Phoenix soon for the long drive to GA, and it's bittersweet. After close to 25 years in AZ, it's time to move on, but for most of those years, I loved living here. Still, I'm looking forward to my new life as a PTC resident.

Rott,

So, tell us... how are you finding things in PTC? Is it living up to expectations? Do tell...!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM

8 posts, read 10,818 times
I'm loving it! My neighbors are very friendly (except for one -- nobody knows him. He keeps to himself), the area is gorgeous. It's so green, and there are colorful flowers everywhere. I was coming back from a walk with my dog, and two deer were in my next-door neighbor's front yard! They saw us and took off.

I take my dog to the local dog park, which is wonderful! There are almost always several dogs to play with, and most owners are conscientious enough not to bring aggressive dogs there (although there was this one yellow lab that attacked a shih tzu...). The only negative is that there's a clique of humans within the dog park. They aren't friendly to newcomers. In fact, they're downright cold. If I happen to go at a time they aren't there, the other folks are real nice.

The weather isn't as hot, of course, but with the humidity, even 70 seems warm. It's been getting up into the mid 90s at my house in the shade, so not fun to be outdoors. But even in the heat of the day, I can walk barefoot down my long driveway to get the mail without burning my feet!

So yes -- I'm really glad I moved here. Getting my driver's license was a pain, but the auto registration was much MUCH easier and cheaper. I got a specialized plate for my late-model car, and it cost me $90. lol

Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 PM

184 posts, read 198,436 times
Glad to read all of the positive comments on Peachtree City. We are considering a move there from PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta