Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:21 PM

33 posts, read 121,082 times

Advertisements

Went to Gwinnett County a few weeks back to interview for teaching jobs. Had 4 offers out of 6 interviews. Narrowed it down to Norcross Elementary. All were title 1 schools and they had the better scores (when compared annual reports). Not sure i would want my son to go there but when i looked at the the schools that preformed better there was very little diversity. It seems if you want the diversity you end up with a poorer school and the better ones have no diversity at all. Would like the diversity but prefer a better school. My concern is how my son might be treated in a school with little diversity. I grew up in a small (Dutch founded) (now more diverse) city in SW MI, I know how some people view and treat minorities (born and raised there but of HIspanic decent). Currently live a small rural commuty and know that many of the teachers there are there because they want to only work with a certain population (no diversity) and how they view and treat the minorities and poor whites that are there. For this reason I drive my son to other town for school. As i was saying, would like a better school in Norcross area but concerned how my son would be viewed and treated in a school with little diversity. I also did not like how big the schools are there. ONe school said i would be one of 14 Kindergarten teachers! Here we only have
3 - 4 classrooms per grade. Was even looking into N. Fulton to live for the schools and commute to Norcross because the county school system met AYP and Gwinnett did not. I am leaning more toward an offer in AZ because it seems in Gwinnett you have to be very careful about where you live if you want a good school. It just seems like a lot of work to find the school you want and then to have to try and find a place to live where your child will go to that school. Was hoping to like Gwinnett County but not so sure. JUst seems too big and too divided (when it comes to the student population).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 AM

9 posts, read 54,069 times
Default Norcross

Not sure what you are looking for but you may want to try other parts of Gwinnett like Grayson, Snellville, Suwanee, Dacula. Gwinnett was recently featured as the most diverse county in the United States.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,655,174 times
I think that the easiest jobs to get in Gwinnett are in the Title 1 schools, certainly many of those schools are smaller and more intimate. Why take your child with you to school? Why not live somewhere where you like the school and send him to the neighborhood school? This will also spare him a move, if you decide to change schools.

I don't know what your budget is, but you could live in the Simpson district near Norcross or go further north.

Gwinnett is a huge system -- I think 156,000 students or something this year -- and growing by about 7000 students a year -- their growth per year is actually bigger than most of the school systems in Georgia's enrollment. Something like 10 percent of the state's public school students live in Gwinnett -- so you should have plenty of opportunities to transfer should you not like your job.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 AM

985 posts, read 5,756,427 times
1) Fulton school system does not meet AYP either. For any school system, there are good schools and poor schools, unfortunately.

2) Diversity schools not = poor schools. You should check Duluth/Suwanee areas school, which is just north of Norcross. A lot of diversity and many of them are highly rated.

3) There is small startup charter school that will start this September in Norcross as well. If your son want smaller school environment, may want to check it out.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:00 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,003 times
I once read an article that Chinese and Korean students are no longer factored in the "diverse" equation in California, *shrug*. I may have excluded other ethnicities but the article was citing Chinese-Americans as an example.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I think that the easiest jobs to get in Gwinnett are in the Title 1 schools, certainly many of those schools are smaller and more intimate. Why take your child with you to school? Why not live somewhere where you like the school and send him to the neighborhood school? This will also spare him a move, if you decide to change schools.

I am sure i do not want to take him with me and have been looking into other schools. I was saying that it seemed there is not much diveristy in the schools that perform better and that was my concern.

I don't know what your budget is, but you could live in the Simpson district near Norcross or go further north.

Thanks for the idea

Gwinnett is a huge system -- I think 156,000 students or something this year -- and growing by about 7000 students a year -- their growth per year is actually bigger than most of the school systems in Georgia's enrollment. Something like 10 percent of the state's public school students live in Gwinnett -- so you should have plenty of opportunities to transfer should you not like your job.
Yes, it is HUGE! I come from a small city. If i transferred it would have to be into another county - contract says you can not transfer for 3 years.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
1) Fulton school system does not meet AYP either. For any school system, there are good schools and poor schools, unfortunately.

2) Diversity schools not = poor schools. You should check Duluth/Suwanee areas school, which is just north of Norcross. A lot of diversity and many of them are highly rated.

3) There is small startup charter school that will start this September in Norcross as well. If your son want smaller school environment, may want to check it out.
I thought that Fulton County did meet AYP maybe i was looking at the wrong year. And yes i understand it varies by individual schools.
I did not mean diversity = poor. It just seemed like when i looked for diveristy they were title 1 schools. when i looked at schools that were not title 1 there was little diveristy it seemed.
I am sure he will be fine in a large or small school, it is just mom that is not use to large schools and scared.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:05 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
I once read an article that Chinese and Korean students are no longer factored in the "diverse" equation in California, *shrug*. I may have excluded other ethnicities but the article was citing Chinese-Americans as an example.
Hmmm. I'm not sure I know what that means (and I'm a native Californian).

In any event, we're leaning toward Gwinnett because it reminds me of where I lived in California. Had lots of friends of different groups, but my closest friends were Asian, Latino, Black and White. Near as I can tell, that's still what California looks like. I think ...

Old 06-04-2007, 03:07 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,339 times
Quote:
1) Fulton school system does not meet AYP either. For any school system, there are good schools and poor schools, unfortunately
So if Fulton does not meet AYP for "X" consecutive years, does that mean that parents can choose another district regardless of where they live?

Old 06-04-2007, 03:11 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,427 times
I believe that if a school is not making AYP for number of years, parents can choose another school within the school districts. I don't think that it applies to school districts. By the way, Cobb, Gwinnett and Fulton all didn't make AYP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta