Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:32 PM

58 posts, read 152,945 times

Advertisements

What will you be doing at GA TECH? Just curious, as I'm a student there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 02:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
As an Atlanta native now living in DFW, what part of Dallas do you currently live in and where do you commute? I could perhaps offer something that is of the similar nature in Atlanta. Or at the least confirm that the excellent suggestions already offered would be similar to what you currently have.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:54 PM

17 posts, read 63,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem89 View Post
What will you be doing at GA TECH? Just curious, as I'm a student there.
I'll be a research engineer working at GTRI.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:10 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netpack73 View Post
I'm not into club or bar scene, but I am into cultural events (plays, poetry, live music, etc). Are there venues for such things in Inman Park or Candler Park, or would I have to go over to Midtown?
We are just finishing up Inman Park Restaurant Week. It is always great fun and a super great deal as the participating restaurants serve a prix fix menu along with their regular menu. Inman Park Restaurant Week – March 8th-14th, 2010

Inman Park has the following live theater venues:

Horizon Theatre Company
Welcome To Dad's Garage Theatre

During festival - we have Inman Park Theater Night. It is an opportunity for us to support the local theater troupes and meet up with neighbors. Inman Park Theatre Night | Supporting Our Neighborhood Theatres Alfresco Style All monies raised goes to the theater troupes.

Like Pless noted, Little 5 Points has lots theater venues too. Variety Playhouse Online

7 Stages (http://www.7stages.org/cgi-bin/MySQLdb?VIEW=/view.txt - broken link)

The Carter Center is not far and they have cultural events all the time. The Carter Center: Advancing Human Rights and Alleviating Suffering

Fulton County residents can attend the High Museum free of charge on the first Saturday of each month. Admission & Hours | High Museum of Art Atlanta (http://www.high.org/main.taf?p=1 - broken link)

Old 03-14-2010, 04:18 PM

17 posts, read 63,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
As an Atlanta native now living in DFW, what part of Dallas do you currently live in and where do you commute? I could perhaps offer something that is of the similar nature in Atlanta. Or at the least confirm that the excellent suggestions already offered would be similar to what you currently have.
Oh, thank you, but I'm not looking for anything remotely resembling what I currently have......LOL. I currently live & work in McKinney. I live there because my job is there, but it's too far out from the areas of Dallas I like (Oak Cliff, Deep Ellum, and the White Rock Lake area) and, as I said, I'm commute averse. I'm looking for an ecclectic vibe with big city amenities (cultural attractions, night life - not necessarily bar/club scene, active singles scene), that's family friendly (I do have teenage kids that will be visiting regularly), and accepting of the "non-traditional" (I'm divorced, agnostic, and have a lesbian sister that would be coming to visit also). As a comparison to DFW...something along the lines of the aforementioned Oak Cliff/Deep Ellum/White Rock Lake areas, mix in some of the nightlife of Lower Greenville, avoid the pretentiousness of Uptown, and avoid the ultra-conservative, right-wing lean of the northern suburbs. I think that sums it up...

Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 PM

42 posts, read 204,360 times
Atlanta is diverse... I think that you would like the inman park area, candler park area, downtown decatur is nice as well........ close to parks and open space... tons of quaint shops within walking distance...however atlanta city taxes and fulton county taxes are crazy....As a 41 year old African American Professional, I opted to live in Decatur and purchase a mcmansion..LOL! However, I am only 10 miles from downtown Atlanta... You will have to go to midtown for venues and shows... Feel free to contact me for further information.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
I'll be moving to Atlanta from Dallas, TX, in May, 2010, and am looking for some insight to see if the results of my research are correct or not. First, some info about me. Divorced, late thirties, African-American, engineer. My new job is in Midtown (Georgia Tech to be specific), so I've been concentrating my home search around the Midtown area. I'm commute averse, so the furthest out I'd be willing to live is ~10 miles from Midtown.

I don't have children living with me, but need space for them to visit. I may rent short term, but I will be looking to purchase a home within 6 months. As such, I'm primarily interested in a townhome, but a house with a small yard is not out of the question. My housing (mortgage) budget is $1000 - $2000 per month. This does not include any other monthly living expenses as I've budgeted for them separately. I'm from New Orleans originally, but over the last 10 years I've lived all over...Chicago, Los Angeles, DC, and now Dallas. I'm looking for a diverse environment (a variety of everything...races, nationalities, religious prefrences, etc.) and am not very into suburban living. Driving to a mall is not as appealing to me as walking to a local coffee shop. I'm agnostic, so living in an area that is accepting of secular individuals is important. I'm somewhat of an outdoors/active type, so access to open space is important to me as well...parks, rivers/ponds/lakes/streams, bike/jogging trails, etc. I love mass transit, and would enjoy easy access to MARTA (there is a station near GA Tech).

So far, my research has shown that living in Midtown would be ideal, but some other areas have piqued my interest...Atlantic Station, Vinings, Cabbagetown, and to a lesser extent Downtown. From what I've seen/read/heard, Midtown has the mix of everything I desire, but I'd like to get some opinions of folks that know the area better than me.
hmmmmmmmm...

Old 03-15-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Oh, thank you, but I'm not looking for anything remotely resembling what I currently have......LOL. I currently live & work in McKinney. I live there because my job is there, but it's too far out from the areas of Dallas I like (Oak Cliff, Deep Ellum, and the White Rock Lake area) and, as I said, I'm commute averse. I'm looking for an ecclectic vibe with big city amenities (cultural attractions, night life - not necessarily bar/club scene, active singles scene), that's family friendly (I do have teenage kids that will be visiting regularly), and accepting of the "non-traditional" (I'm divorced, agnostic, and have a lesbian sister that would be coming to visit also). As a comparison to DFW...something along the lines of the aforementioned Oak Cliff/Deep Ellum/White Rock Lake areas, mix in some of the nightlife of Lower Greenville, avoid the pretentiousness of Uptown, and avoid the ultra-conservative, right-wing lean of the northern suburbs. I think that sums it up...
I am in McKinney too, have we met? jk...

Of the three areas you list would say they best line up like this (IMO of course)

Oak Cliff ~ Grant Park, Old Fourth Ward or Inman Park
Deep Ellum ~ Castleberry Hill or Little Five Points
White Rock Lake ~ Decatur, Virginia Highlands, Ansley Park, Candler Park/Lake Claire or Druid Hills

Uptown/Highland Park = Buckhead
Right leaning northern suburbs = Right leaning northern suburbs

Midtown is sort of like MStreets/Greenville Ave merged with Oaklawn Ave but even closer to the urbanized part of Atlanta, sort of if Greenville/Mstreets was on the west side of central and rubbing shoulders with Uptown.

Inman Park is kind of mesh of Oak Cliff (Kessler Park I mean, the nice part of Oak Cliff) mixed with the Deep Ellum Vibe as Little Five Points (the bohemian district) directly abuts Inman Park.

All of these are subject to interpretation. Anyone else that knows the two cities might have a differing opinion, but I think you will find similarities in all the aforementioned neighborhoods to the Dallas neighborhoods you list.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:12 PM

I might add that your personal lifestyle/philosophy would be just as at home (if not moreso) in any of the neighborhoods listed in Atlanta as the corresponding ones you list in Dallas.

(and if you search thru many of my posts you will find I am a little right of center and unabashedly of the evangelical persuasion, but feel you will be right at home in any of the areas that I and others have listed)

Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 PM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
^Knowing both cities well, I would say the neighborhood comparisions are pretty spot on.+2 for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta