Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Not true! In Wyoming you only need to swap licenses and plates 90 days after establishing residency. Montana is pretty much the same way.
OK..so maybe a few states are 60 or 90 days, but you get the point that all states require you to switch out when you move and establish residency.

Last edited by neil0311; 03-14-2010 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
Your insurance company will cover you no matter where you are. They will treat it as an accident just as if you were on a road trip. Unless someone turns you in, you'll not be caught.
Totally untrue. If you obtain insurance by fraudulent means...and the insurance company can prove it, you will not be covered and may be committing a crime.

If you live in GA and are legally registered in GA, then of course they will cover you wherever you visit, but if you live in NYC and fraudulently obtain insurance in GA while you live in NYC and then get into a serious accident...well you go find out.

Maybe I can tell my insurance company that I live in Idaho in a cabin in the woods and drive 1000 miles a year, so I can pay $100/year for insurance, and then drive 15K miles in Atlanta. Do you think they would mind? Are you that uninformed or just saying this stuff for effect?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 AM

59 posts, read 121,677 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I am aware of the risks but I really don't want to switch the plates but will most likely end up doing so. I am having a hard time settling and accepting living here now. Driving up here sucks and I now miss the clean and smooth roads of GA. People are ridiculous at the wheel here. They honk for any little reason. I have Georgia on my mind.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,598 times
Ha! The joys of living in Brooklyn-Yes, they are very aggressive-You will get honked at as soon as the light turns green, hesitate to drive off and you will get a few choice words and a middle finger-man, I sure dont miss that.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Do you have insurance agent or did you buy directly thorough your company?

If so, I would run it by your agent and ask about the physical location of the vehicle.

I know, for awhile, my parents had 2 separate policies (but the same payment) to cover MD and GA.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Totally untrue. If you obtain insurance by fraudulent means...and the insurance company can prove it, you will not be covered and may be committing a crime.

If you live in GA and are legally registered in GA, then of course they will cover you wherever you visit, but if you live in NYC and fraudulently obtain insurance in GA while you live in NYC and then get into a serious accident...well you go find out.

Maybe I can tell my insurance company that I live in Idaho in a cabin in the woods and drive 1000 miles a year, so I can pay $100/year for insurance, and then drive 15K miles in Atlanta. Do you think they would mind? Are you that uninformed or just saying this stuff for effect?
Actually you can do it as long as you do not show up in any database for owning a home or working in another state. I used to use an address in the suburbs when I lived in the city. Did it for 12 years, no trouble. But I rented then. I don't now.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:25 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I am aware of the risks but I really don't want to switch the plates but will most likely end up doing so. I am having a hard time settling and accepting living here now. Driving up here sucks and I now miss the clean and smooth roads of GA. People are ridiculous at the wheel here. They honk for any little reason. I have Georgia on my mind.
Ah...now, you appreciate GA, huh? (J/K).

I love NY, but ask me to move back there, with wife and kids....No thank you!!

Do you have a residence in GA? That may be one way to keep your GA tag, and if you spend a certain amount of time in NYC, and go back to GA. There are loopholes. Be careful though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
Ha! The joys of living in Brooklyn-Yes, they are very aggressive-You will get honked at as soon as the light turns green, hesitate to drive off and you will get a few choice words and a middle finger-man, I sure dont miss that.
Don't get me started. Don't forget the constant parking fines, alternate parking/street sweeps, parking issues, extremely long lines at the DMV, higher insurance rates, and the list can go on.

Glad I left it all behind.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 PM

59 posts, read 121,677 times
I do not have a GA address any longer since I was just renting a house there. I am renting an apt here in Brooklyn now but not sure if I will stay. Matter of fact I for sure will not stay. It's no way to live with a family. I want to be able to get a freaking house, not interested in renting an apt until I turn 70 years old and can no longer work to pay some scum lord his rent. I do miss Atl a lot. Especially the driving part and the weather and last but not least the cost of living. If only I could have got a job there. I had a hard time adjusting at first but after about 4 months of living in Atlanta, it really grew on me

Let's hope this stupid economy sees an end soon. Thanks for your input peeps.

PS. KevK. Why must you use a nasty tone? Tired of cranks on city data.

Last edited by Boonieboy; 03-20-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 03:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
I do not have a GA address any longer since I was just renting a house there. I am renting an apt here in Brooklyn now but not sure if I will stay. Matter of fact I for sure will not stay. It's no way to live with a family. I want to be able to get a freaking house, not interested in renting an apt until I turn 70 years old and can no longer work to pay some scum lord his rent. I do miss Atl a lot. Especially the driving part and the weather and last but not least the cost of living. If only I could have got a job there. I had a hard time adjusting at first but after about 4 months of living in Atlanta, it really grew on me

Let's hope this stupid economy sees an end soon. Thanks for your input peeps.

PS. KevK. Why must you use a nasty tone? Tired of cranks on city data.

Hang in there man!! Hope things get better for you.

I love NYC and Atlanta a lot, but at this point NYC is for fun, to see friends, family and enjoy what the city has to offer.

Where were you before moving to Atlanta?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Actually you can do it as long as you do not show up in any database for owning a home or working in another state. I used to use an address in the suburbs when I lived in the city. Did it for 12 years, no trouble. But I rented then. I don't now.
You can do anything you want, including rob a bank, but that doesn't make it legal or right. Owning a home has absolutely nothing to do with establishing residence in a state. Something as simple as signing a lease for an apartment or paying income taxes in that state is enough.

I'm tired of trying to debate various issues with people who essentially say...

"I plan to cheat/do something illegal, and I want to know how I can get away with it."

or

"I was just caught doing <fill in illegal action> and I want to know how I can get out of being punished"

What is with people today? Do the right thing and realize you're not a special case. If you can't or won't do that, then take the punishment and shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta