U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM

46 posts, read 98,077 times

Advertisements

Well said wxjay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 PM

7,788 posts, read 9,353,101 times
What are the parents doing to protest these measures? I see the college kids organizing to save their programs, but not much at all at the k-12 level. Even the C-tran cuts only mustered 30 people at a protest today. What is the plan, if any, to make it known parents are not going to accept these drastic cuts?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,839,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I don't think you are allowed to use SPLOST money to just fill the budget anywhere you want. I think there are certain guidelines as to where that money can be used (for capital projects only). From what I remember reading, SPLOST collections are down in most areas as well.

You know what? I'm just floored by the attitude here in GA. Obviously, I moved here from Florida (aka "Floriduh"), a state that has been the butt of many jokes. However, I have been keeping up with the news from both FL and GA about the state of education and cuts.

What I do notice is there has been a lot more public outcry over the cuts in FL. (and the cuts they have had simply pale in comparision to what has already happened in GA, and what is proposed for next year). Parents have organized and protested in many counties in FL (ie Seminole and Brevard). (Seminole is a county that is nationally known for the quality of its schools, as well as the overall high per capita income and large # of corporate HQ)

You don't see the FL legislature cutting the school year for students like GA is about to do. In fact, I don't even know of any counties in FL that are proposing to cut the school year to save money.
Georgia students will be sitting home for at least a week next school year, while students in most other states are in school and learning.
That is because in Georgia only 3 counties really care about education (Cobb, Gwinnett and Chatham). They rest of the state is pretty much full of mental midgets, rednecks and ghettoites.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:32 AM

125 posts, read 203,084 times
I've been cut by Gwinnett. I saw it coming. This is 14 yrs of teaching..(10 in Dekalb) and boy was it done in an under handed way. I expressed my thoughts in a calm manner, even though I received no response from my principal or the HR rep she had to come in to our "meeting". They had to find a way to justify not renewing my contract as a tenured teacher. Although I have loads of documentation covering the events of the past 5 months (I began at this school in late Sept.) I chose not to move forward with a hearing as I trust NO ONE! Gwinnett (as I am sure other places are doing the same) are making room for those coaches, central office staff, etc to return back to classroom and other school based positions. In order to do this, someone has to leave. I know 2 other teachers so far that will not receive a contract and a few others in my building are being "encouraged" to transfer or go part time.

My issue, as I communicated with both of these ladies, is ..if I am not want you seek to have in your school...if I don't fit this mode, etc. I am fine with that. However, do not make it difficult for me to find employment elsewhere because you needed to justify this action. I was nit picked to the bone. I came in late Sept. (displaced from another school) Never taught Kindergarten..did not have a mentor..and was constantly out of the loop as to what was going on. I had to request a meeting to try to get on the same page. One week later, I was presented with a PDP. WOW..Because I had questions and was unsure of the Kindergarten way...BUT..my class has the highest reading levels. My lowest group is reading on a beginning 1st grade level. Such is life...

It is a mess out there. I have a child to raise and will be attending teacher recruitment events in other states. I will attend one in SC next month. Amazingly, they make hotel accommodations for you if needed. My only concern at this moment is finding employment in another school system and making sure that my child has a stable environment and a good school to attend in 1 yr.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 AM

136 posts, read 317,844 times
My sister has 2 kids at Elkins Point Middle School and a third starting next year. The eighth grader is in orchestra and the one starting next year would be if not for the budget cuts. The Elkins Point Orchestra placed second in a regional competition this year. My sister has tried to organize the parents but has found that only a tiny percentage are willing to expend any time or effort to try to come up with a viable alternative to cutting out the orchestra.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 AM

2,205 posts, read 4,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsmith15 View Post
My sister has 2 kids at Elkins Point Middle School and a third starting next year. The eighth grader is in orchestra and the one starting next year would be if not for the budget cuts. The Elkins Point Orchestra placed second in a regional competition this year. My sister has tried to organize the parents but has found that only a tiny percentage are willing to expend any time or effort to try to come up with a viable alternative to cutting out the orchestra.
I'm confused. The news stories e.g. Fulton slashes nearly 1,000 school jobs *| ajc.com seem to say that elementary band and orchestra are being cut, yet your post concerns middle school orchestra. The AJC story I've linked above also mentions a protest from an Elkins Point Middle School parent. So ... is Fulton cutting middle school orchestra, or not?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,770,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsmith15 View Post
In the perfect world, we wouldn't have to cut anything. But this isn't a perfect world, and I'd much rather see orchestra, band, football, etc., cut than see increased class sizes or vital services cut. And remember- this isn't a permanent thing- when things get back on track and there's enough funding, they'll bring back all of the nice-to-haves, but in the interim at least the kids won't be crammed into classrooms.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 AM

2,205 posts, read 4,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
In the perfect world, we wouldn't have to cut anything. But this isn't a perfect world, and I'd much rather see orchestra, band, football, etc., cut than see increased class sizes or vital services cut. And remember- this isn't a permanent thing- when things get back on track and there's enough funding, they'll bring back all of the nice-to-haves, but in the interim at least the kids won't be crammed into classrooms.
Bob, I completely agree with your realism (cuts must be made) and your priorities. I fear you may be too optimistic in the statement I've bolded, though. Back in BC, Canada, there was junior and senior high school orchestra when I went to school, but those programs are no more. They were cut for budgetary reasons long ago, and they never came back. The counties around Fulton don't have elementary band and orchestra. If Fulton cuts those, I suspect it will be difficult to ever get them re-funded.

Just sayin'. We're in Cobb and I didn't personally feel my child was deprived by not having an opportunity to take band or orchestra until 6th grade.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:45 AM

"In the perfect world, we wouldn't have to cut anything. But this isn't a perfect world, and I'd much rather see orchestra, band, football, etc., cut than see increased class sizes or vital services cut. And remember- this isn't a permanent thing- when things get back on track and there's enough funding, they'll bring back all of the nice-to-haves, but in the interim at least the kids won't be crammed into classrooms"

They understand that. They were thinking of looking into private funding (among other options) to keep it going temporarily until the economy improves but they did not get enough interest.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM

"I'm confused. The news stories e.g. Fulton slashes nearly 1,000 school jobs *| ajc.com seem to say that elementary band and orchestra are being cut, yet your post concerns middle school orchestra. The AJC story I've linked above also mentions a protest from an Elkins Point Middle School parent. So ... is Fulton cutting middle school orchestra, or not?"

Elkins Middle School Orchestra was definitely one of the progams being considered to cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta