Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
to make a long story short, the clubs/bars started catering to the hip hop crowd, peachtree became a cruising zone, the thugs then turned it into a shooting range, people started getting stabbed, Ray Lewis was even taking part in the action), so finally Buckhead's own Ben Carter bought up all the clubs and tore them down, saving Buckhead in the process. He is trying to turn it into a Rodeo Drive but the Great Recession is making that hard to do.

There are still many bars and clubs in Buckhead - i party there all the time - but if your looking for the same crowd as 2004, try Underground.
Wrong.

I went to Buckhead before they shut it down. They had college students, young adults, and older adults from pretty much all races and ages. Of course the most popular clubs became hip-hop and R&B ... I mean it is Atlanta. There were tons a women and as far as I know women aren't that privey to shootouts.

They rolled the hours back and voided some grandfather clauses some clubs had and most relocated to another part of town where they could do what they wanted.

The rest is true.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes the topic is Buckhead.You said Buckhead is "not like it was ,...go to underground".You also said that it was due to crime in Buckhead due to hip-hop.This explanation although certainly is not only believed by yourself,however does make it true.(nor Politically correct)So if you claim these things are the reason for Buckhead's demise then where is the proof and the results of such behavior?Would it not manifest downtown if this was true?

Also for the record,Buckhead was not just a bunch of Hip Hop clubs where all the black people only go.Many of those clubs were very mixed.The fact that they were open to 4 am was a cop out by the city to placate the people of Buckhead.
Yeah it was a good mix... I saw a lot of older people with tuxedos... don't know where they went.

I honestly think that letting that go was a mistake, because I'm in Seattle and they still talk about the nightlife in Buckhead as though it still exist....

It was legendary.

Not many cities can pull that off and people make it a point to put Atlanta on their list of things to do off hype alone... They will be disappointed to find out that the great Buckhead they we told about shuts down at 2.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:05 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Well before I moved here, I spent many a weekend coming up to Buckhead to party. I remember as far back as 2001, there were rumblings about shutting down the Buckhead Village area and roll back the hours.

But who knew that 112, Backstreet, Vision, etc, would also fall by the wayside?

*sings "Things Aint the Same", flicks a lighter and sways*

I have noticed that Atlanta isn't the only city where nightclub districts full of clubs have shrank or outright disappeared. Even before the recession. Deep Ellum in Dallas is in the throes of redevelopment, and even Ybor City in Tampa doesn't seem to be as much of a party central anymore.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Yeah, its profiling, who said it wasnt? If you dont like it, blame hip-hop artists that celebrate a thug lifestyle. Or perhaps blame those who turned hip hop culture into what it is today.

Either way, I cant say if its normal or not, but hip hop culture sure makes it seem pretty normal and common. What happened in Buckhead is simply proof.

Ill break it down for you, because I guess facts arent enough:

Preppy White Kids + Alcohol + Buckhead = Public urination, Minor in Posession of Alcohol

Hip Hop Crowd + Alcohol + Buckhead = Gunfights, stabbings
) click a the links
  1. Hasty generalization
  2. Stereotype
  3. Prejudice
  4. Half-truth
  5. Appeal to probability
  6. Association fallacy
  7. Perfect solution fallacy
  8. Double standard
That is how you came up with your conclusion

Examples.
  • Hitler was a vegetarian. Hitler was pure evil. Therefore, vegetarians have evil ideals. Or
  • Al-Qaeda is composed of Muslims. Al-Qaeda is a group of terrorists. Therefore, all Muslims are terrorists.
  • There was violence in Buckhead, the hiphop crowd was in buckhead, therefore the hiphop crowd is violent.
  • Some hip-hop artists celebrate a thug lifestyle, Thugs are violent, therefore the Hiphop crowd is violent.
Quote:
Call it profiling... Call it whatever you want. Maybe common sense would be a good term for it. Either way, gunshots and stabbings didnt show up until the hip hop crowd moved in. I dont care it thats "PC" or not - facts are facts.
No fallacy is a good term for it. Common Sense consists of what people in common would agree on, sense as their common natural understanding. In which the person using the term believes that they do or should have. Often ideas that may be considered to be true by common sense are in fact false. basically the appeal to belief fallacy or Argumentum ad populum . You or me caring about PC or not! Ignorance is ignorance. Profiling = generalization ignorance.

the Appeal to probability fallacy or the regardless fallacy assumes that because something could happen, it is inevitable that it will happen, it's often used to exploit paranoia.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
i can go to a few places on ponce de leon and buy experimental substances. just saying.

why are you surprised about people expanding operations into buckhead; it is only logical.

anyway, buckhead has become condohead now. boring offices deserted by dark and enclosed residental units. yawn. business are taxed and hassled for compliance with ever changing rules. not ideal

few places i went to there for both shopping and fun got mowed down in recent years (2004+) so that condos can be built. condos that are now frozen/bankrupt/repoed. blame those that approve the zoning. but this is atlanta. kickbacks dictate zoning and permits (just ask gwinnett)

Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
) click a the links
  1. Hasty generalization
  2. Stereotype
  3. Prejudice
  4. Half-truth
  5. Appeal to probability
  6. Association fallacy
  7. Perfect solution fallacy
  8. Double standard
That is how you came up with your conclusion

Examples.
  • Hitler was a vegetarian. Hitler was pure evil. Therefore, vegetarians have evil ideals. Or
  • Al-Qaeda is composed of Muslims. Al-Qaeda is a group of terrorists. Therefore, all Muslims are terrorists.
  • There was violence in Buckhead, the hiphop crowd was in buckhead, therefore the hiphop crowd is violent.
  • Some hip-hop artists celebrate a thug lifestyle, Thugs are violent, therefore the Hiphop crowd is violent.
No fallacy is a good term for it. Common Sense consists of what people in common would agree on, sense as their common natural understanding. In which the person using the term believes that they do or should have. Often ideas that may be considered to be true by common sense are in fact false. basically the appeal to belief fallacy or Argumentum ad populum . You or me caring about PC or not! Ignorance is ignorance. Profiling = generalization ignorance.

the Appeal to probability fallacy or the regardless fallacy assumes that because something could happen, it is inevitable that it will happen, it's often used to exploit paranoia.
That is all fine and dandy but it doesn't actually disprove anything

Old 03-18-2010, 02:30 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,382 times
Drove through Buckhead for the first time in maybe a year and was amazed by the changes. Kind of a shock to see all the old bars on Peachtree gone. My partying days in Buckhead ended in the early 90's, so I kind of welcome the changes even though I'll never buy anything at Rodeo Drive prices.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:57 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Yeah, its profiling, who said it wasnt? If you dont like it, blame hip-hop artists that celebrate a thug lifestyle. Or perhaps blame those who turned hip hop culture into what it is today.

Either way, I cant say if its normal or not, but hip hop culture sure makes it seem pretty normal and common. What happened in Buckhead is simply proof.

Ill break it down for you, because I guess facts arent enough:

Preppy White Kids + Alcohol + Buckhead = Public urination, Minor in Posession of Alcohol

Hip Hop Crowd + Alcohol + Buckhead = Gunfights, stabbings
Yeah you're right. As a young black male who enjoys hip hop and a nice cold beer--for some reason I get the instant urge to pop a cap in someone's ass when I combine the two. You must be onto something because facts are facts.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:37 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
The topic of this thread is Buckhead, no? I dont know enough about the crime down there to comment - the reason I threw out Underground is becasue there are hip hop clubs open until 4 AM, which is what Buckhead used to be. I wasnt relating it to crime - I was telling the OP where to find the same type of atmosphere.
It's been very easy to lay the violence experienced in Buckhead at the feet of the 'Hip-Hop crowd'...I personally think that's painting the situation with a broad brush. The more likely scenario IMO was that Buckhead became popular with troublemakers from outside the area that knew that there would be easy marks coming out of the bars at closing time.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's been very easy to lay the violence experienced in Buckhead at the feet of the 'Hip-Hop crowd'...I personally think that's painting the situation with a broad brush. The more likely scenario IMO was that Buckhead became popular with troublemakers from outside the area that knew that there would be easy marks coming out of the bars at closing time.
What do you mean by "easy marks"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta