U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 48,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
We currently live in NY and they do not offer gifted programs at ALL in the public schools. You can pay out of pocket for a private school for over $12,000 a year. Our son is gifted and I know that he will be bored in a K class learning the alphabet when he's already reading at a 2nd grade level (at age 4). We've been wanting to relocate fora long time so I'm looking into states that have gifted programs.
Honestly, I would look into Virginia if you want to move to a state with a good gifted education program. I moved to VA from GA when i was in 2nd grade. I was immediately placed into the gifted program and LOVED it. They also have "Governor's School" where you go to college in the morning of your Junior and Senior years of high school and then finish your high school requirements in the afternoon. You can enter college as a sophomore.

My gifted program took us on field trips (just for the gifted kids), and allowed us to stay after school for advanced science classes and fun/educational clubs (starting in elementary school). We were pulled out of class 3 days a week for out special gifted classes while the rest of the kids were split up between different math or reading support programs. My very best friends to this day are the kids from my gifted class.

If you want a quality gifted education, please please please, as a gifted kid myself, I'm begging you to take your child to Virginia. Best decision you'll ever make.

*edit*

I do remember when I moved to VA that they used a standard IQ test to test me in. I think you have to score in a certain percentile. My gifted class was about 6-7 kids (out of roughly maybe 70-90 kids in my grade). There were plenty of kids who could get straight A's, but gifted isn't about grades. Truly gifted kids learn differently, mature differently, and have different educational needs. One of the kids in my gifted class coasted by with C's and D's in school, but he's really a genius. He was just too bored to do homework and would go to sleep during tests. He's a member of Mensa and TOPS. He majored in Mechanical Engineering and is pursuing his doctorate. Not bad for a kid who would NEVER qualify for the "gifted" programs they have here in GA. From my own observations, the "gifted" programs here in GA are really just "high achievement" programs.

Last edited by tool_fan_2009; 03-23-2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: add more info
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM

188 posts, read 511,385 times
My 2nd grader is in a North Fulton County TAG program. It's a very interdisciplinary program. She loves what she's learning, but quite frankly, any child at her grade level could do and enjoy the work. Still, her pull out day is her favorite day of the week.

What I find more relevant, are the advanced/accelerated classes the school offers in language arts/reading and math. In these sections, she's given work that is actually at her level.

I generally tell friends who are considering public school -- not to count on their child being accepted to TAG or gifted programs. A lot of really bright kids don't get in. Instead, I think one should look for schools that excel, with very involved parents.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 AM

1,747 posts, read 4,822,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool_fan_2009 View Post
Honestly, I would look into Virginia if you want to move to a state with a good gifted education program. I moved to VA from GA when i was in 2nd grade. I was immediately placed into the gifted program and LOVED it. They also have "Governor's School" where you go to college in the morning of your Junior and Senior years of high school and then finish your high school requirements in the afternoon. You can enter college as a sophomore.

My gifted program took us on field trips (just for the gifted kids), and allowed us to stay after school for advanced science classes and fun/educational clubs (starting in elementary school). We were pulled out of class 3 days a week for out special gifted classes while the rest of the kids were split up between different math or reading support programs. My very best friends to this day are the kids from my gifted class.

If you want a quality gifted education, please please please, as a gifted kid myself, I'm begging you to take your child to Virginia. Best decision you'll ever make.

*edit*

I do remember when I moved to VA that they used a standard IQ test to test me in. I think you have to score in a certain percentile. My gifted class was about 6-7 kids (out of roughly maybe 70-90 kids in my grade). There were plenty of kids who could get straight A's, but gifted isn't about grades. Truly gifted kids learn differently, mature differently, and have different educational needs. One of the kids in my gifted class coasted by with C's and D's in school, but he's really a genius. He was just too bored to do homework and would go to sleep during tests. He's a member of Mensa and TOPS. He majored in Mechanical Engineering and is pursuing his doctorate. Not bad for a kid who would NEVER qualify for the "gifted" programs they have here in GA. From my own observations, the "gifted" programs here in GA are really just "high achievement" programs.
Yes I second this I am very familiar with these programs in (Northern) VA. Also Montgomery County Maryland which had the pilot program for the US for gifted kids with some type of learning difference.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,185 times
Default Gifted Book that will change your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
Do you feel the 1 day a week pull out is sufficient?
Please find and read the book "Parent's Guide to Gifted Children" written by James Webb, Janet Gore, Edward Amend, and Arlene DeVries. It will change your life.

It is the most comprehensive guide I have found anywhere. The book further addresses common issues helpful to all parents regarding raising a child, sibling rivalry, peer pressure, discipline, and parent-child communication. What's "normal" and what's not is clearly defined with follow-up resources for further assistance.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM

8 posts, read 17,694 times
There are magnet school in Atlanta. For example mcaa Marietta school (Marietta Center for Advanced Academics - Index). It's a STEM school with selective admission process, have lot of platinum awards and good CRCT score.

Just wondering, if someone know about MCAA school?

Thanks.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM

1,154 posts, read 2,269,688 times
My oldest daughter taught herself to read at age 3 and I was sure public kindergarten (Minnesota) would wreck her precious life so went the private school route for $15,000/year. I will never forget another parent said that reading is like toilet training- it doesn't matter how early, they eventually all end up out of diapers by kindergarten and by third grade they are all reading.
I always managed to find programs, extracurriculars that were stimulating, but by 7th grade, the classes were based on ability so it didn't really matter.
I had three other kids in public schools in Connecticut/Westchester, NY who did fine with once a week pull-out programs. Sometimes I think these gifted and talented groups are more for the parents.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 PM

33 posts, read 79,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I've seen quite a few kids shut out of Gifted who met all criteria other than the "creativity" test. I personally believe that that is a way they use to screen kids out b/c so many would qualify based on the intellectual and achievement criteria. So, it's not a "gimme" even if your child is quite bright.
And then there are the kids who don't have CogAt and ITBS scores in the gifted range (96% or above, and that is a generous cutoff for gifted), but they get in because they are deemed creative and motivated and happen to score 90% in one section of an achievement test. There are definitely kids who seem like they should be in the gifted program and they aren't, and there are some kids in the gifted program and you wonder how that happened. A teacher once told me that and I have observed it at my kids' school.

ETA: I should add, kids in GA can get in with test scores alone. The cognitive score required in 1st grade is high, 99%, but in 3rd grade and higher a 90% achievement scrore and 96% cognitive score will get you into the gifted program. The criteria is set by the state. The issue with the creativity and motivation stuff is that some kids will get in with lower test scores if they rate well enough in those areas, other kids with the same or better test scores don't get in because they aren't "creative and/or motivated" enough.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM

33 posts, read 79,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
My daughter in Cobb county is in a one day pull out program called ALP advanced learning program. I don't really see it as being much. One thing to note is the school will no longer provide level appropriate reading materials for her for content reasons. Whether this is a GA thing or countrywide..I don't know. All of her advanced reading is done at home as a result. Now in 4th grade she finds the pull out program to be tedious.

If you are transfering in from out of state be advised they don't always accept testing from other states. We came from MA and because the testing was not something GA was familair with, we had to be very persistent about testing her out of the usual 2 year cycle. It was very annoying.

The intial testing is done by COGAT results...then if they quailify they are tested further Iowas, Torrance (creativity), motivational scale etc. High COGATs don't guarantee a slot...my other child who is dyslexic had extremely high COGATS and was denied a spot.

Its funny my child who is in the program I would say is a very very bright hard working and academic but not gifted. My other child who I believe is extremely gifted didn't make the cut. This is probably true for a lot of kids.

Although I don't think too much of the gifted program, its a step in the right direction and I do find overall the (regular)curriculum in general to be geared more towards advanced/academic students. Sometimes I think we all like to think of our kids as gifted and schools cater to that.
I agree with so much of this. My two oldest kids are also in Target (ALP) in Cobb County. My oldest was tested in 1st grade, did not get in, but easily qualified in 3rd grade. He is now a straight A middle school student in all Advanced Content classes. Success can not always be predicted in first grade! My middle child qualified for Target in first grade. She tested better at that age, and has those creative and motiviated qualities every teacher likes to see.

My youngest was just tested as a first grader and qualified in two categories, but missed the third category by one point, so he did not get in. I don't feel he's missing out on much, to be honest, and he very well might qualify later. My older two usually enjoyed the once a week pull out program, and I like that they got exposure to some additional topics, but it is not worth moving here for. Other districts may handle their programs differently, but several metro Atlanta districts have the once a week pullout program. Middle school in Cobb has advanced content classes. You don't have to be in the gifted program to qualify, and being in the gifted program only guarantees you'll be placed in one AC class. Many kids I know in Target only get into 1 or 2 AC classes because at our school the test score cutoffs are high.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,001 times
A group of parents are starting a small school for gifted kids in Atlanta if anyone is interested. The group will be a ALP/Gifted group of 6-8 kids with a teacher to facilitate the group. We plan to have additional 'specials' teachers (art, chess, music, design and engineering and foreign language), as well. Ideally, we are looking for 8-10 year olds to join the group but we are flexible. Let me know if you are interested. Our kids are in the Talented and Gifted program and pulled out once day a week in school but are still complaining school is boring.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:53 PM

12,906 posts, read 20,974,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
...I will never forget another parent said that reading is like toilet training- it doesn't matter how early, they eventually all end up out of diapers by kindergarten and by third grade they are all reading...Sometimes I think these gifted and talented groups are more for the parents.
True...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or