U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 AM

550 posts, read 758,492 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with the author of this article, that was a ridiculous idea. But just because gifted education is not always done well and some people in charge and some parents are idiots doesn't mean there are not children who need it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 AM

12,918 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
I totally agree with the author of this article, that was a ridiculous idea. But just because gifted education is not always done well and some people in charge and some parents are idiots doesn't mean there are not children who need it.

There are definitely children that need gifted education--I totally agree.

The key is that it is done well--and serving the truly gifted.

I would like to go into a deep report and analysis on here on how I would do gifted ed K-12 (it would be different at the elem, midsch, and highsch levels, etc), but it take way too long...!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Um, wow Aries--that seems harsh. Really has to put me in my place? Seriously?

Anyway, I was in a rush and should have waited to post until I had more time, I didn't actually mean to address that post to you, but to the idea referenced in the post you were quoting, that early readers even out. I certainly was not intending to offend you or anyone and don't really get the hostility. I am sincerely sorry if the way I phrased my post caused offense.

Back to my point, it is something said over and over by educators (just as is the idea that kids with Down syndrome plateau) and it is used as an excuse to not teach kids. Every kid has the right to actually learn something new at school, no matter where they fall on the bell curve. This link addresses what I am talking about: Exposing Gifted Myths: Abilities even out in third grade.

"... children are already learning the habits that will shape their academic careers and their lives. Succeeding without trying is a really bad habit to learn. More than one educator has pointed out that more is learned through failure than success. By rarely failing, gifted children do not learn important skills in perseverance, changing tactics to achieve success, or overcoming obstacles. Many gifted children will refuse to try things that they do not believe they can be immediately successful in. I would argue that ‘learning how to learn’ is just as significant as what knowledge is actually taught in the schools and is a primary mission of educational establishments."

What a Child Doesn't Learn
[LEFT][SIZE=3]If during the first five or six years of[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]school, a child earns good grades and[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]high praise without having to make[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]much effort, what are all the things he[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]doesn't learn that most [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]children [/SIZE][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]' [/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3]learn[/SIZE][/LEFT]
by third grade?

FAQ about cluster grouping, which is one way of meeting the needs of gifted students, (and all students).

Research in favor of acceleration: A Nation Deceived

It is in our country's enlightened self-interest to teach kids at their level. Limiting kids to only being educated with their same age peers and not differentiating in some way for those who learn differently could deprive us of future adults who could actually come up with solutions to complex problems our country faces.

I am sorry that I came off harsh and wrote that post. Sincerely. I thought you implying that I said something that I hadn't said.

I totally agree with you, actually, about gifted education. But it does have to be done well. In a lot places, it has gotten way out of hand.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 AM

Aries--I would be really interested in hearing more of your thoughts--I think we are probably on the same (or similar pages). It is really done poorly in a lot of places--but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for it to be done well to serve the kids of all races and income levels who need it. Peace!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM

14,446 posts, read 7,112,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
There are definitely children that need gifted education--I totally agree.

The key is that it is done well--and serving the truly gifted.

I would like to go into a deep report and analysis on here on how I would do gifted ed K-12 (it would be different at the elem, midsch, and highsch levels, etc), but it take way too long...!
I also think that we would agree on a lot regarding gifted education.

I have read the research about the "giftedness" level evening out around 8-9 years old as well when all that extra effort parents put into their kids early on to give them a boost fades away.

I truly think that a lot of parents think their kids are gifted when they aren't. Just because they are good at something doesn't equal "gifted" to me and I feel that giftedness is being watered down to include kids that don't really deserve to be there and aren't best served by being there. I know some kids thought to be gifted who if they were in the program I went through would not have been seen as such.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Aries--I would be really interested in hearing more of your thoughts--I think we are probably on the same (or similar pages)...

lol...but, it will take so long to write out...don't want to write somethin' half-assed!

I will do an "in a nutshell" post soon...gotta go to kinko's (I mean, fedex office or whatever) now...!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 981 times
Hi,
I am interested in knowing more about your group. I am a parent of 7 year old child who is in TAG, but still the school is quite boring and he feels that he is not challenged enough.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM

Go to the Hoagie's Gifted website. Just google it. Tons of articles, links, etc. There is lots of information out there for advocacating for these kids.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 356 times
Can anyone tell me if my child will be tested in grade 5 for gifted classes, or will the testing scores from grade 4 still stand? My child is currently in the gifted program in Cobb county, Ga.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:36 PM

1,814 posts, read 1,555,147 times
Once a child is accepted into the gifted program they are not tested again unless there is an unusual circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or