U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 03:08 PM

160 posts, read 390,917 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about gifted programs for children in GA? I would appreciate any information, especially coming from anyone with first-hand experience.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 03:26 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
What age group are you asking about? The one I am familiar with is the TAG program, but it differs by grade.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What age group are you asking about? The one I am familiar with is the TAG program, but it differs by grade.
Starting kindergarten or first grade.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
It varies greatly by school district. There are no public schools strictly for gifted children that age in Metro Atlanta.

What exactly are you looking for?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
It varies greatly by school district. There are no public schools strictly for gifted children that age in Metro Atlanta.

What exactly are you looking for?
We currently live in NY and they do not offer gifted programs at ALL in the public schools. You can pay out of pocket for a private school for over $12,000 a year. Our son is gifted and I know that he will be bored in a K class learning the alphabet when he's already reading at a 2nd grade level (at age 4). We've been wanting to relocate fora long time so I'm looking into states that have gifted programs.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
I am only familiar with the TAG program in North Fulton. I'm not certain it is the same in other districts. Here, it is available beginning in kindergarten. It is a 1 day/week pull out enrichment program.

If your child has already been tested, you must bring the documentation with you. Otherwise, the children are all screened 2x's per year (by policy, not sure if in practice). They are evaluated on mental ability, (IQ) achievement, creativity, and motivation using national tests.

Google TAG eligibility requirements for whatever county you are thinking of moving to.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I am only familiar with the TAG program in North Fulton. I'm not certain it is the same in other districts. Here, it is available beginning in kindergarten. It is a 1 day/week pull out enrichment program.

If your child has already been tested, you must bring the documentation with you. Otherwise, the children are all screened 2x's per year (by policy, not sure if in practice). They are evaluated on mental ability, (IQ) achievement, creativity, and motivation using national tests.

Google TAG eligibility requirements for whatever county you are thinking of moving to.
Do you feel the 1 day a week pull out is sufficient?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM

109 posts, read 335,462 times
In Fulton County's middle schools your child can be in all TAG classes.

One day of TAG in elementary isn't optimal. However, I know that in my child's elementary school (middle grades) kids are separated in math and reading based on ability. Also, remember that there are kids who will also come up from behind and catch up to the initial advanced readers. Also, so long as your child reads at home they will continue to excel in reading. Generally, in school kids during reading time read books that are appropriate to their level, which is what I have found from being in multiple school systems, so I wouldn't worry too much about the reading. Some kids will know the alphabet and others won't know it entering Kindergarten.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,796,748 times
Most school systems don't have gifted in Kindergarten, though some students can be IDed at the end of the year. You can read about the regulations surrounding GA's gifted program here:

Georgia Department of Education - Gifted Education (http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ci_iap_gifted.aspx - broken link)

If you are planning on moving here for the schools, things are pretty bad financially for school systems. As you will see, as you explore the website link above, there are several approved models for serving gifted students. So, you can't necessarily count on your preferred model being what a school uses. Many schools use pull out. Sometimes it is once a week, sometimes it is 45 minutes a day, etc. I believe that gifted students must be served 215ish minutes a week.

My youngest child went to school reading on a very high level. Our school uses a pull out model, but being a good reader (as you will see if you read the state regs linked above) isn't the only criteria. I know plenty of kids in top reading groups that aren't in a gifted program.

Be aware that TAG is the "brand name" for Fulton's gifted program. Other school systems will and do have other names (or no name at all) for their services.

Proceed carefully with this move. Many school systems might offer a magnet program for "gifted" students. But admission may very well be by lottery (there are a surprisingly high number of children who will fit these schools criteria) and you are unlikely to be guaranteed a seat based just on merit.

What you really need is a school that differentiates instruction at all levels. In our very diverse school, there is never a clear best reader in K, but several. These students make a reading group.

I know your child is little yet, but skipping a grade is slowly coming back into vogue. In addition, if you are really convinced that he needs to be working ahead, you could see if a private school would accelerate him, then after a couple of years, you could move him to public school.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:59 AM

2,206 posts, read 5,946,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
Do you feel the 1 day a week pull out is sufficient?
Sufficient for what?

I personally skipped three grades (not all at once) in K-12. My daughter is at least as intelligent as me, I think, but she's been kept with her age group, had the one day per week pullout in elementary, some accelerated classes in middle school, etc. I think she's better off than I was.

When your reading four year-old is eighteen, likely he'll be in college with all the other eighteen year-olds, who will have learned to read in the mean time. I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned about your child being bored in kindergarten, but I recommend you not obsess about it. In the end, it won't make as much difference as you're thinking right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or