U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2010, 05:03 PM

97 posts, read 176,713 times
Smile Possible Relocation to the ATL area

I am a 32 y/o AA male seeking a change of scenery. Currently, I live in Iowa, single, no kids, and have a BA in Political Science. Although I enjoy politics, I would like to go into something else that's more inspiring to me. Plus, it's hard to find work with a BA in Political Science...lol. I am also looking to puruse a Master's degree, hopefully in social work, or education. However, I have to live--hell, I have to eat...lol. So I was wondering if there were any companies hiring liberal arts graduates in this weak economy in the Atlanta area. I was hoping to get into a Fortune 500 company, with great health benefits, although a smakler company would also suffice. I have been looking into teaching as a career as well--social studies, in particular. What kinds of programs are available for college degree holders who do not possess an education degree in Georgia?

What are the commutes like? Is it as bad as some people have suggested? And how about the MARTA line? It seems rather limited for an area as vast as the Atlanta region. Are there plenty of bookstores and libraries? As far as an apartment's concerned, is a 1 BR for $600-$700/mo. going to place me in a safe community? I am looking for a neighborhood (or surrounding community) that's very socially diverse--racially, economically, and politically. I have friends in Norcross and Austell, but I have no idea what those communities are like, as far as safety, commutes, and community makeup are concerned. I have also examined Gwinnett, Cobb, and the northern part of Fulton County.

As I mentioned earlier, I do not have any personal obligations to anyone, so I would like to relocate by August of this year. I was thinking that 4k-5k in savings might last me roughly 6 months, if it came down to a worst case scenario, jobwise, although I am thinking that is wishful thinking on my part. Probably more like 7k-8k. Any suggestions--particularly the experiences of non-natives--would be excellent. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM

1,033 posts, read 1,225,437 times
My advise to is to find a job first before making a move. In this economy, you have no idea how many months it could take. I have started working with a placement company to improve my resume, have a website, and provide guidance in the Atlanta area. This is part of my husband's relocation package.
I would never have considered a move anywhere, without a job, otherwise.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 PM

97 posts, read 176,713 times
Thanks for the advice. Logic's dictating that I do just that; it's just that I was thinking that perhaps if I lived in the area, my chances of receiving a callback, obviously, would increase dramatically.

As far as placement companies are concerned, I've pretty much soured on them. I was 100 hours away from being hired on at a company here, and they dropped me. Never missed a day of work, and yet they told me I had "attendance issues"...lol. O-KAY.

If anyone knows anything about Georgia State and Kennesaw State, please let me know. KSU seems to be growing by leaps and bounds--which I guess is a good thing--and GSU's in the heart of Atlanta, which is DEFINITELY a good thing, but I don't know much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta